rawanmamdouh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi guys
I'm an Egyptian 17 year old graduating in 2020 with 8olevels and 1 Alevel. Since I live in Saudi Arabia, there haven't been many opportunities for me to gain work experience or volunteer. I've mostly spend my highschool and middle school years studying, haven't done extracurriculars and no volunteering of any sort. Eventhough I managed to get straight A stars, I feel bad about myself seeing all those students from Europe and USA do all of these activities. This definitely gives them much more credit when applying to scholarships or jobs in general, which is why I feel like I've just wasted my life. I see a lot of western students travel the world, volunteer abroad and just make the best out of their lives. I don't know if making an effort now to garner some experience will do me any good. Especially because my parents have decided to send me to study medicine at Cairo university, I feel hopeless. Cairo university is below average and so are the universities in Egypt. I really wanted to get top tier world class education in the UK, but the tuition fees for international students are crazy!
I would love to immigrate or work in the UK, but at this point, with an Egyptian degree maybe I don't quite have a chance.

Also I've been looking into medicine in Italy and Germany. Italy being very suitable since it's really affordable and the teaching is in English. Although I have doubts on the education system ( someone please confirm this)
Germany is super super difficult to get into and I need to study in German ( I am at A2 level in German)

I need someone to advise me on what to do starting from
1) which country is best among Italy, Germany, Egypt- and which degree do you think is easier when applying to FY2 in UK

2) Do you know any organisations or any volunteering programs that could help me boost my CV

3)How do I convince myself that i'm good enough and how to start having hope and belief in myself? I need someone to tell me that university education and uni life is not the end of the world

EDIT= Do you know how can someone carry out research while they're still studying at uni because most recipients of fully funded scholarships have done research and published it( I'm talking about The Rhodes oxford scholarship)
rawanmamdouh
Rep:
?
Hi guys
I'm an Egyptian 17 year old graduating in 2020 with 8olevels and 1 Alevel. Since I live in Saudi Arabia, there haven't been many opportunities for me to gain work experience or volunteer. I've mostly spend my highschool and middle school years studying, haven't done extracurriculars and no volunteering of any sort. Eventhough I managed to get straight A stars, I feel bad about myself seeing all those students from Europe and USA do all of these activities. This definitely gives them much more credit when applying to scholarships or jobs in general, which is why I feel like I've just wasted my life. I see a lot of western students travel the world, volunteer abroad and just make the best out of their lives. I don't know if making an effort now to garner some experience will do me any good. Especially because my parents have decided to send me to study medicine at Cairo university, I feel hopeless. Cairo university is below average and so are the universities in Egypt. I really wanted to get top tier world class education in the UK, but the tuition fees for international students are crazy!
I would love to immigrate or work in the UK, but at this point, with an Egyptian degree maybe I don't quite have a chance.

Also I've been looking into medicine in Italy and Germany. Italy being very suitable since it's really affordable and the teaching is in English. Although I have doubts on the education system ( someone please confirm this)
Germany is super super difficult to get into and I need to study in German ( I am at A2 level in German)

1) which country is best among Italy, Germany, Egypt- and which degree do you think is easier when applying to FY2 in UK

2) Do you know any organisations or any volunteering programs that could help me boost my CV

3)How do I convince myself that i'm good enough and how to start having hope and belief in myself? I need someone to tell me that university education and uni life is not the end of the world

EDIT- Do you know how people can carry out research while they're still studying at uni? As most recipients of fully funded scholarships have carried out research and have published their papers ( I'm talking about the Rhodes scholarship Oxford)
rawanmamdouh
Rep:
?
Hi guys

EDIT- Do you know how people can carry out research while they're still studying at uni? As most recipients of fully funded scholarships have carried out research and have published their papers ( I'm talking about the Rhodes scholarship Oxford)
rawanmamdouh
Rep:
?
Hi guys

ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by rawanmamdouh)
...1) which country is best among Italy, Germany, Egypt- and which degree do you think is easier when applying to FY2 in UK
Shouldn't really matter, by that point you'd need to take the UKMLA wherever you graduated from (even if it's from the UK!).

In Egypt or Saudi Arabia? No...

You'll need work experience of any sort. You'll have people here saying "you can do it" etc. etc. but it's just words; at the end of the day you'll have to change your mindset yourself. Only you can motivate you.

I don't know any people, but then I didn't study at Oxford.. Note that international study is a privilege and not a right, fully funded scholarships are incredibly difficult to obtain and the competition for them is fierce. I have always figured that you'll have to be as famous as Malala (who did get a scholarship) to get one - I believe every year there's only a handful (< 10).

Finally, I am a firm believer of study where you work. Why do you want to work in the UK? If you do want to work here, it's probably best if you study here too (perhaps immigrate here, work and then study Medicine when you're older?).
Last edited by ecolier; 5 months ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi

I've moved your thread to our medicine forum, as I think it may get more useful responses there.

The only one of your questions that I can really answer is your edit. There are two main ways I can think of to do this:

-Some organisations offer small research grants to undergrad students to do a summer project, which they then publish.
-Some undergrads are able to publish their dissertations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
61.02%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.9%