Zuhras
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
To what extent was the wyatt rebellion the most serious threat to the stability of mary's reign?
This is the coursework question I'm doing and I've already talked about the wyatt rebellion and lady jane grey plot but I need help on religious policies or religion as a whole being a threat to the stability of mary's reign can someone help
Daisyxwright
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zuhras)
To what extent was the wyatt rebellion the most serious threat to the stability of mary's reign?
This is the coursework question I'm doing and I've already talked about the wyatt rebellion and lady jane grey plot but I need help on religious policies or religion as a whole being a threat to the stability of mary's reign can someone help
I did this topic as part of my a level history I can have a look at my notes and send something to you if you still need help?
Staffbane
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zuhras)
I believe from what I read Mary was accused of being involved of plotting against the Spanish marriage of Mary and Phillip (son of emperor Charles V) this was a rebellion lead by wyatt who was executed on the grounds of treason and lead to Elizabeth's imprisonment due to alleged involvement. This also lead to the death of Lady Jane Grey who was beheaded as she was considered a threat to the throne.

That's what I can sum up anyway, rather messy affair that one.

Oh and about the religion: Elizabeth needed a way to birth Catholic heirs and hence why the need for this marriage Phillip was considered to be a devout Catholic and so would be the perfect suitor however, not only was there a lot of xenophobia particularly with having a foreign king on the throne causing civil unrest among the public population, wyatt: thought this arranged marriage would undo the sovereignty of Henry the 8th preferring a different "male" to take the throne instead: Edward Courtenay and was having none of that: of course, this meant that England had no male ruler and Elizabeth would then be forced to take the throne instead alone as queen.

I think I saw a movie trailer that showed brief scenes of all this taking place I guess reading this it all makes sense now.

I just realized none of this actually helps you answer your question but only neatly sums up "the whys it happened" sorry for not being much use to you on this, I don't think I could summarize the threats as well as VegetableMarvell big props to her for having actually done this work previously. Though it did give me a better perspective on Mary in general.
Last edited by Staffbane; 1 year ago
VegetableMarvell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay, here goes.
Threats to Mary's reign can be summed up as follows:
- Wyatt Rebellion; the city and people rallied around her and Wyatt had no success. That's the "If God is with us, who can be against us?" speech.
- Lady Jane Grey is a much smaller issue as she was at the beginning of the reign; could actually be seen as a positive as Mary was welcomed as the rightful heir to the throne by many Londoners at least (reports of flags and banners at the time)
-Burning of Protestants: big one here! 280 something protestants burnt under Mary which caused discontent, check out her religious reforms. That's a big one as she just tried to revert a newly Protestant England back to Catholicism
-Sh*t foreign policy after she marries Philip, and is basically at his beck and call. She loses Calais due to the War with France.
-However, I'd argue the BIGGEST threats were factors out of her control. i.e. inflation causing discontent, poor harvests and a disastrous influenza epidemic.

(( Is this for A Level or GCSE? If it's for A Level, you'll need loads of sources for History A Level Coursework. I had over 80 footnotes! Use Google Scholar to search keywords you need. Even if you can't get full articles, even abstracts and previews can be useful. ))
Last edited by VegetableMarvell; 1 year ago
VegetableMarvell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Useful information links for Mary I's religious policy specifically:
https://www.historylearningsite.co.u...-1553-to-1558/
https://spartacus-educational.com/TUDmary1.htm
https://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/ar...r-trailblazer/

Spartacus is always super useful for info, as it has Primary Sources at the bottom, and also goes through specific reforms.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
12.9%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (21)
22.58%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (41)
44.09%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
17.2%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
3.23%

Watched Threads