The Student Room Group

Retake A levels or go to uni?

Basically, I messed up my A levels and ended up missing my firm for medicine and insurance for biomedical science at a good uni. I've now accepted a place for biomedical science at an ex poly but i'm having second thoughts as to whether or not this was a good decision.
I want to apply for graduate entry medicine after finishing my degree. I guess in a way it wouldn't matter where I get my degree from as long as I get a 1st or a 2.1 alongside lots of work experience. My worry is if graduate medicine doesn't work out and I get no offers, I'd be stuck with a degree from a 'bad' university with rubbish A level grades and I'm scared it will hinder my job prospects. I don't know whether I'm better off taking a year out to get better A levels and get into a better uni for biomed or to stick with the uni place I have now.
The uni place I've accepted offers a transfer into medicine after the first year, providing I get an average of over 70% in my exams and coursework, which is an opportunity I wouldn't get if I were to go to a better uni. It's why I'm hesitant about rejecting this uni in the first place.
I feel as though if i retake it would put my mind at peace knowing that I will have another chance to get good A level grades behind me and a good degree from a good university but I don't think I could mentally go through sitting my A levels again. I also think that there's no point sitting my A levels again for a degree that is not what I really wanna do. Of course it's a subject I'm interested in (because biomed is the backbone of medicine!) but my heart is set on medicine and being a doctor.
I've tried thinking about it and tried making a decision but I keep going round in circles. It's driving me crazy lmao I don't know why I feel so conflicted. Maybe I'm just being a uni elitist and really have nothing to be worried about? idk. What would you choose if you were in this position?
Reply 1
I think if you are smart take the place it is your easiest route into medicine now. Doctors are doctors where ever they train. Work hard next year and you are back on track. Unless you can afford to pay to redo year 13 resits are a lonely path and you are already saying you cannot face it. What uni?
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney
I think if you are smart take the place it is your easiest route into medicine now. Doctors are doctors where ever they train. Work hard next year and you are back on track. Unless you can afford to pay to redo year 13 resits are a lonely path and you are already saying you cannot face it. What uni?

sheffield hallam
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, I messed up my A levels and ended up missing my firm for medicine and insurance for biomedical science at a good uni. I've now accepted a place for biomedical science at an ex poly but i'm having second thoughts as to whether or not this was a good decision.
I want to apply for graduate entry medicine after finishing my degree. I guess in a way it wouldn't matter where I get my degree from as long as I get a 1st or a 2.1 alongside lots of work experience. My worry is if graduate medicine doesn't work out and I get no offers, I'd be stuck with a degree from a 'bad' university with rubbish A level grades and I'm scared it will hinder my job prospects. I don't know whether I'm better off taking a year out to get better A levels and get into a better uni for biomed or to stick with the uni place I have now.
The uni place I've accepted offers a transfer into medicine after the first year, providing I get an average of over 70% in my exams and coursework, which is an opportunity I wouldn't get if I were to go to a better uni. It's why I'm hesitant about rejecting this uni in the first place.
I feel as though if i retake it would put my mind at peace knowing that I will have another chance to get good A level grades behind me and a good degree from a good university but I don't think I could mentally go through sitting my A levels again. I also think that there's no point sitting my A levels again for a degree that is not what I really wanna do. Of course it's a subject I'm interested in (because biomed is the backbone of medicine!) but my heart is set on medicine and being a doctor.
I've tried thinking about it and tried making a decision but I keep going round in circles. It's driving me crazy lmao I don't know why I feel so conflicted. Maybe I'm just being a uni elitist and really have nothing to be worried about? idk. What would you choose if you were in this position?

When I read the first paragraph I thought 100% the best thing to do would be resit. Because worst case scenario is you end up back on the same course at the same uni but much more likely is you end up at a better uni and maybe on a better course. But I see how the whole transferring course situation complicates things... How bad were your A levels and do you think you would actually be able to achieve AAA or higher?
Here are some wise words from someone much older. Go forward with life. Don't repeat the year. If you want to go to university and you have an opportunity to do so, then do it now. In the world of work in a few year's time, believe me - NO ONE will ask what A-level grades you achieved. That's not how it works. It feels like a major thing to you at the moment because you've spent ages working towards your A-levels - but if they're good enough to get you onto a course that you'll be happy with, then do it.
Original post by EnglishSpanish
Here are some wise words from someone much older. Go forward with life. Don't repeat the year. If you want to go to university and you have an opportunity to do so, then do it now. In the world of work in a few year's time, believe me - NO ONE will ask what A-level grades you achieved. That's not how it works. It feels like a major thing to you at the moment because you've spent ages working towards your A-levels - but if they're good enough to get you onto a course that you'll be happy with, then do it.

They might not ask their A level grades, no, but they might consider which university you have gone to.
Reply 6
They might not ask their A level grades, no, but they might consider which university you have gone to.

Not for doctors they won't!
Why not transfer to a better uni after your first year. Obviously you would need a 1st or 2:1 overall but a lot of unis would accept.
Original post by Scotney
Not for doctors they won't!

That's assuming they get the 70% and get into medicine which is quite competitive from what I have heard.
I’m in the same situation but I decided to take a year out this year.

In the grand scheme of things a year out isn’t huge.

And I don’t want my a levels to bring me down in the future (I say this bc what if I somehow can’t get into grad med that year, I want to be able to do something with my degree which if I resit I would not only have better a levels but also degree from a better uni, also in the stem field some employers don’t favour graduates from ex-polys idk why tho) and if I have to be honest I don’t want to pay 30+K for a university I don’t want to go to or don’t want to be there.

I got a place at Royal Holloway but rejected them in the end (going to cancel my application on Monday) bc it’s not what I want to do.

Taking a year out can be lonely yes but you can do more then just resit ur a levels, from work experience to working etc. You can still enjoy life lol.

Also I don’t think it’s smart if the only reason you’re considering going is because of the transfer to med bc that isn’t 100%, that could have so based many diff factors, like not only ur grade but how many places there are etc. Tho I don’t know how it is that uni most med transfers have a certain amount of places for transfer and it’s for like top students in biosciences etc

Then again, many people are too anxisoj and don’t want to be a year behind.

Do what you think it’s best for you but don’t make ur decision based on friends and being left behind etc because you’re on your own path. Don’t look at other people’s footsteps.

I'm in the exact same position here, and its been quite difficult to reach a decision, whether to retake or go with my foundation year that offers a possibility of a transfer to medicine. And honestly I don't think there is a right answer as frustrating as it sounds. In end I think it is about what your priorities are, if the mental strain of retaking a-level would be worth it or if you don't mind, go for it. Both opportunities probably require about the same amount of workload, and there no guarantee for either of the choices that it will work out the way you want. If it was your environment that didn't allow you to work as well you should have during a-levels, perhaps a change in scenery might help you work better, and therefore help secure the transfer in uni. Either way I think you are taking a chance. I personally am taking up the foundation year with possibility of transfer, because I know I want to be a doctor whether that means I will get into medicine this year or in 3 or 4 years time for graduate med. And if I totally hate the degree and general atmosphere of the place, I could always drop out ( definitely not ideal or recommended but an option nonetheless).And given I have sufficient time, I can enrol for retakes.
When I read the first paragraph I thought 100% the best thing to do would be resit. Because worst case scenario is you end up back on the same course at the same uni but much more likely is you end up at a better uni and maybe on a better course. But I see how the whole transferring course situation complicates things... How bad were your A levels and do you think you would actually be able to achieve AAA or higher?

Like bad bad. BCD.
Definitely not higher than AAA. I think AAA would be a stretch but still doable. AAB is most realistic.
Like bad bad. BCD.
Definitely not higher than AAA. I think AAA would be a stretch but still doable. AAB is most realistic.

Having AAB is better then BCD.

I got BCD too but I’m confident I can get AAA/A*AA if I completely gave everything up which I might jan onwards lol.

Just take a year out tbh, ur not eating because for one you’re improving ur grades and two ur going to most likely get into a better university and you’ll no longer have restrictions on you like where your degree is Tom or ur a levels etc
Original post by Alayna1234

I got BCD too but I’m confident I can get AAA/A*AA if I completely gave everything up which I might jan onwards lol.

Just take a year out tbh, ur not eating because for one you’re improving ur grades and two ur going to most likely get into a better university and you’ll no longer have restrictions on you like where your degree is Tom or ur a levels etc

OP has stated he does not feel he wishes to resit A levels. You do not feel the same way. If you feel that is the right course of action for you fantastic but it is not for everyone. It is important to take all the factors of a persons. situation into account. Good luck with your journey.
Original post by Alayna1234

Just take a year out tbh, ur not eating because for one you’re improving ur grades and two ur going to most likely get into a better university and you’ll no longer have restrictions on you like where your degree is Tom or ur a lev

Like bad bad. BCD.

Do you think you know where you went wrong this year? In order to rectify the mistakes?
Original post by Scotney
OP has stated he does not feel he wishes to resit A levels. You do not feel the same way. If you feel that is the right course of action for you fantastic but it is not for everyone. It is important to take all the factors of a persons. situation into account. Good luck with your journey.

Ofc it’s up to OP. I’m just stating my opinion that’s all. And thank you for the well wishes :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Ok well no offence but i'm not sure if you will get 70% in first year if you got BCD in A levels. Personally if I was you I would forget about medicine at least until grad entry (if you can switch after 1st year then that's a bonus) but it's a risk to go to a worse uni for the small possibility you may be able to transfer course or university after 1 year. So personally I would re-sit because AAB would be amazing and you could get into some really good universities. Having said that though, it is more important that you do what you think would make you happy. And if you think that going to uni this year will do that, then go ahead. If you are resitting your A levels you probably won't have to work THAT hard because I presume all your notes and stuff are already made so you will essentially be revising from September. I took a year out (not to re-sit) but I enjoyed it.
-

You realise the course you're on is actually better than a biomedical sciences degree at a more "prestigious" degree for graduate employment as a biomedical scientist? It's actually IBMS accredited, and approved by the HCPC. These are two necessary things for you to get a job as a BMS in the NHS - the other being registered by the HCPC, which requires you complete an appropriate portfolio in the workplace; this course includes a placement, but it's unclear if it's in an NHS lab as required. @RegisteredBMS may be able to advise more on options in that regard (and might know if this particular course provides HCPC registration on graduation).

Regarding medicine, I believe some 18 medical schools accept A-level resits in various circumstances. You need to be realistic as to whether you are able and likely to get those A-level grades when resitting however. You would be looking at needing to jump 6 grades in total, to meet the standard entry criteria for the vast majority of medical schools int he UK (AAA), which is just a minimum. If you are absolutely certain you want to pursue a career in medicine, then it would probably be better to retake and try to reapply than to aim for GEM now, since GEM is more competitive than standard entry medicine. Internal transfer schemes are usually extremely competitive - also, many require you meet the standard entry criteria for the medical degree anyway (and thus are unsuitable for applicants who have lower than the standard AAA grades). You should carefully investigate how many students move into the medical degree from that course, and what the requirements are to do so. might be able to offer some more advice on medicine/GEM generally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending