The Student Room Group

Choosing which A levels

I want to study social work at university but I’m not sure whether I need to do an ‘academic’ ‘more respected’ A levels like Maths, English, History and so on. Or do I just chose the most helpful ones (which so far is psychology, sociology, criminology and law). My university doesn’t require any certain ones therefore I’d just like some advice on which ones to chose as I want to apply as soon as possibly.
Original post by Amber1874
I want to study social work at university but I’m not sure whether I need to do an ‘academic’ ‘more respected’ A levels like Maths, English, History and so on. Or do I just chose the most helpful ones (which so far is psychology, sociology, criminology and law). My university doesn’t require any certain ones therefore I’d just like some advice on which ones to chose as I want to apply as soon as possibly.

If they aren't look for a specific a-level(s) then you can basically do whatever you want. Although it's best to choose ones that are relevant to your career path

Do whichever ones you think you'll do the best on / get the best grades. :rambo:
I'd say choose which ones you'd enjoy, but also relevant ones to your course, they should have a list of recommended or required ones :smile:
I strongly recommend you choose at least one facilitating subject (Maths, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, History, any Modern Language) to open more doors for you and expand your options. It’s a good idea to pick subjects you like but also think about what skills they’ll teach that’ll be good for social working. For example, English has analytical and communication skills which fits your career path suitably.

hope this helped :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by solitaireegg
I strongly recommend you choose at least one facilitating subject (Maths, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, History, any Modern Language) to open more doors for you and expand your options. It’s a good idea to pick subjects you like but also think about what skills they’ll teach that’ll be good for social working. For example, English has analytical and communication skills which fits your career path suitably.

hope this helped :smile:

So if I chose English which one would be better language or literature?
So if I chose English which one would be better language or literature?

literature is facilitating, language is not. so i suggest literature.

Quick Reply

Latest