ayshamossa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey everyone

Feeling super nervous about starting my NQT year in a few days. Anyone have any words of advice/wisdom?

I have also been given a year 10 form so any advice on how to tackle and win the teens over would be great!

😊
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ayshamossa)
Hey everyone

Feeling super nervous about starting my NQT year in a few days. Anyone have any words of advice/wisdom?

I have also been given a year 10 form so any advice on how to tackle and win the teens over would be great!

😊
I'm not sure I can help much, as I'm also starting my NQT year, but I'm definitely nervous too. At least you know who your form group are going to be- I haven't found out yet!

Y10 were my favourite year group to teach on placements in my PGCE year- I just found I seemed to relate to the classes quite well. I think they will be harder to win over than a Y7 form- especially as they know you are new. I think firm, consistent boundaries are important- don't let them see you as a pushover. But also let them see you as a bit of a human- I used to have a horse and my Y10 girls loved talking about him, and telling me about their pets. Some of my Y10 boys had very low self esteem underneath. A little bit of positive encouragement and praise went a long way, sometimes.
ayshamossa
Rep:
?
Hi!
Its nice to meet a fellow NQT! Fingers crossed you get a nice form!

Think because my experiences with year 10s are mixed im unsure of how to prepare for them. I guess its just the waiting that makes everything more nervewracking. Deffo going to be consistent and firm on behaviour, but use praise to my advantage. Im pretty young so hopefully they can relate to me easily.

Thanks so much for the advice. What are you teaching??
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ayshamossa)
Hi!
Its nice to meet a fellow NQT! Fingers crossed you get a nice form!

Think because my experiences with year 10s are mixed im unsure of how to prepare for them. I guess its just the waiting that makes everything more nervewracking. Deffo going to be consistent and firm on behaviour, but use praise to my advantage. Im pretty young so hopefully they can relate to me easily.

Thanks so much for the advice. What are you teaching??
No worries- I teach science. What about you?
ayshamossa
Rep:
?
Im teaching History with a bit of Geog aswell which i am low key dreading since ive only taught history in my training.
Good luck however! Im sure we are going to SMASH it πŸ™ŒπŸ»
bwilliams
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Take each day as it comes and always look at the bigger picture! Remember it's still a job and don't let things take over - use the professionals around you, I'd always prefer someone to ask than to guess and make a mistake.

I view behaviour management as more of a prevent than tackle - if your behaviour management is perfect then you will have no behaviour issues because you have prevented them happening instead of thinking of endless strategies to use to tackle behaviour when it happens. Make sure you show that you are a human and have feelings. Choose your battles, don't run a military operation as this probably won't work. My top tip would be to engage in one to one conversations with the students, show an interest in them and build relationships immediately. The relationships you make now will pay off later.

... and good luck in your NQT year!
ayshamossa
Rep:
?
Thank you so much...your advice makes so much sense especially preventing behaviour rather than tackling it
Mom$$
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! i am now retired but still remember a key piece of advice given to me by a senior teacher. Remember your classroom is yours! The children will always try to take over. They know you are new and inexperienced. Done let them sit where they want. Make them line up and make them sit where you want. Boy and girl, not groups. Take a picture on the first day. Then they know you have them! I did a blank seating plan and made copies so I could write names as I went along. That way I could check names as I asked and answered questions. Be strict and don't smile. You can relax as you get to know them. While you are being strict be fair as well as that is something the children get - say you are being fair. don't raise your voice but be firm. know where an experienced teacher is and make sure you can get them in quick if there is a ruckus.
It sounds a bit old fashioned but it works.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)
3.83%
Classical (46)
5.87%
Hip-Hop (148)
18.88%