The Student Room Group

Bronze DofE Rucksack size

im doing the Beonze DofE award in October, and i am struggling with what sized rucksack to get.

I got a 45l rucksack but am now wondering if its too small, we were reccomend a 50l rucksack, but these are quite hard to find, and also the staff in the shops suggested this size was far too big for 2 days one night. I'm particularly small framed, so it's really difficult for me to find a rucksack that sits properly on me, and i don't want something that is going to cause me strain due to not sitting right ( for instance a 60l was huge on me, but the 45l fit.) I don't plan on doing the silver or gold award so i dont need the rucksack to last me for these levels, so i just wondered from people with past experience whether or not this rucksack would be okay for bronze, thankyou!!
Hi, I did my bronze DofE last year. Our school provided us with a rucksack if we needed to borrow one. I can’t quite remember the size (do you have a photo of your current rucksack and I could compare the sizes). If you are the one carrying the tent then definitely get the 50L one and make sure you have a good buckle that goes around tightly around your waist that doesn’t come loose as well.
Reply 2
Original post by kawaii_panda101
Hi, I did my bronze DofE last year. Our school provided us with a rucksack if we needed to borrow one. I can’t quite remember the size (do you have a photo of your current rucksack and I could compare the sizes). If you are the one carrying the tent then definitely get the 50L one and make sure you have a good buckle that goes around tightly around your waist that doesn’t come loose as well.

we split the tent between us, so say someone gets the poles, someone gets the ground mat etc, so that's not too big of a problem i don't think. This is the rucksack: image-48e2b242-b744-421a-9023-da811e7efd9a7797112196615027962-compressed.jpg.jpeg it fits me well, i just don't know if i can fit everything in :/
Original post by Annabel.H
we split the tent between us, so say someone gets the poles, someone gets the ground mat etc, so that's not too big of a problem i don't think. This is the rucksack: image-48e2b242-b744-421a-9023-da811e7efd9a7797112196615027962-compressed.jpg.jpeg it fits me well, i just don't know if i can fit everything in :/

Don’t worry, I think that is literally the same size as mine. I was able to fit everything (tight squeeze but I managed) I think you will be absolutely fine and also it is only one night. Hope this helps and good luck in October! :smile:
Reply 4
Don’t worry, I think that is literally the same size as mine. I was able to fit everything (tight squeeze but I managed) I think you will be absolutely fine and also it is only one night. Hope this helps and good luck in October! :smile:

okay thats good to hear :smile: Thankyou for your help! Yes aha, not gonna lie I'm dreading it but hopefully it will be fun....maybe... :/ 😂
Original post by Annabel.H
okay thats good to hear :smile: Thankyou for your help! Yes aha, not gonna lie I'm dreading it but hopefully it will be fun....maybe... :/ 😂

Ahhaha yeah I know. The walking actually almost killed me like I found it so physically hard (ahahah not good to tell someone about to do it) but if you have a good group then it will be fun and a bit of an adventure !!!
Reply 6
Ahhaha yeah I know. The walking actually almost killed me like I found it so physically hard (ahahah not good to tell someone about to do it) but if you have a good group then it will be fun and a bit of an adventure !!!

Yea, im sure I'll struggle i'm not in any way strong at all aha, im not an outdoors kinda person, and i'm least looking forward to the actual camping part tbh aha, but it's a good award to have, My group will be really good, im with my closest friends so hopefully it'll be fun:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest