Strelzo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
We handed in our homework for Physics on Thursday, and had it been corrected and sent back out to us the following day (but our teacher wasn't in to go over the corrections).

I got the following question wrong:

"A ray of blue light is incident on the liquid surface at the same angle as the ray of red light.
The refractive index of the liquid for blue light is greater than that for red light. Is the angle of refraction greater than, equal to or less than 82 degrees for the blue light?
You must explain your answer"

And my answer was:

"The greater the refractive index of a material, the higher the frequency and the slower that light travels in that material, therefore the light will refract more and the angle of refraction for blue light will be smaller than 82 degrees."

I just can't see where I've went wrong, and it would be massively appreciated if someone could tell me what I have done incorrectly.

Many thanks.
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Going to :bump: this, because I'm still curious about the question.
nzy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm not sure where the 82 degrees comes from, but because the blue light refracts more than the red light, its angle of refraction would be greater than the angle of refraction of the red light, not smaller.
Strelzo
Rep:
?
(Original post by nzy)
I'm not sure where the 82 degrees comes from, but because the blue light refracts more than the red light, its angle of refraction would be greater than the angle of refraction of the red light, not smaller.
Thank you.

FYI: 82 degrees was an angle given in the question previous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?