Does the government do enough for the environment? Watch

04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Now the very easy answer here is to look and say yes. But I think a better question is what should they be doing more?

Obviously, it must be made clear that we are one country of many, and that there are some other countries with much more harmful policies to the environment than our own. Equally it can also be agreed that plenty of countries are less harmful than the UK to the environment.

Where would you like to see a change in government policy to help the environment?

The TSR government in the Model House of Commons has been trying to put the environment as a flagship policy area but do you think Brexit is a big distraction that Westminster is hiding behind in the wake of environmental crisis?

Post your thoughts below.

This thread is part of TSR Goes Green! A project all about nature and the environment. You can get involved in other threads about it by clicking here.
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 week ago
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is certainly true that governments must be to some extent pro-active in pushing for environmental policies, because ultimately caring for the environment can be more costly for businesses. In general I think businesses would be happy to harm the environment in order to cut costs, provided there were no sanctions for doing so either in terms of legal ones or in terms of reputation among consumers.

It thus falls to the government to enforce environmental laws and policies.

So far I think that Britain has been doing well recently to make changes to reduce the human impact on the environment. A plastic bags charge was implemented in 2015, and there is now a push to eliminate use of plastic straws which has been driven by both consumers and the government (to some degree).

I think the next thing to tackle will be packaging. Nearly everything we buy is packaged in needless plastic, and a lot of it (plastic films, etc.) cannot be recycled, at least not widely. This is an area which companies really need to be making changes, and the government should move to push them in the right direction - be it via an awareness campaign or some sort of incentive.

As for the Brexit question, I think it has been a massive distraction which has prevented the government from making moves in areas that it really should be looking to change. That being said, in matters of the environment I feel that governments are usually pretty slow to do anything, so perhaps not much would have been different.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, they insist on building on what little greenbelt we have left instead of renovating derilict poverished areas in brown sites.
Then we stand up as a nation and say to third world countries not to build or farm on their rainforests and jungles.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
No, they insist on building on what little greenbelt we have left instead of renovating derilict poverished areas in brown sites.
Then we stand up as a nation and say to third world countries not to build or farm on their rainforests and jungles.
The little greenbelt land we have left! In 1979 greenbelt land in England comprised 721,500 hectares. In the last 40 years the greenbelt has more than doubled. It peaked in 2004 at 1,678,190 hectares and is currently 1,638,610 hectares.
xDron3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, people just complain as the impacts aren't instant and take a very long time.

The rules compared to other countries are fairly strict, especially the 0 carbon rule coming in by 2050.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (200)
24.15%
Pop (205)
24.76%
Jazz (33)
3.99%
Classical (46)
5.56%
Hip-Hop (156)
18.84%