The Student Room Group

Would you ever turn down a job for its carbon footprint?

Very often (but not always), a decision to be more eco-friendly or sustainable can be a more expensive habit to maintain. And in some cases that can be affordable to do: but how far would you go in the name of the planet?

If say, you had to travel significantly more to a new place of work than your current job - would the environmental impact of this change factor into your decisions? Or just the time and cost?

Obviously, there are many many reasons to include on a decision about job moves, and I'm not suggesting this should be your only consideration - but should it be a consideration at all?

Somebody I know once did a commute by plane from Edinburgh to London for a couple of months while they were waiting to/moving house. Would you be willing to do this given the environmental impact?

This question is a little bit like the ethics problem posed by Peter Singer: if you would risk ruining your expensive shoes to save a child who was drowning in a nearby pond, would you also be willing to donate the money those shoes cost to save children on the other side of the world?

Post your thoughts below.

This thread is part of TSR Goes Green! A project all about nature and the environment. You can get involved in other threads about it by clicking here.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
Very often (but not always), a decision to be more eco-friendly or sustainable can be a more expensive habit to maintain. And in some cases that can be affordable to do: but how far would you go in the name of the planet?

If say, you had to travel significantly more to a new place of work than your current job - would the environmental impact of this change factor into your decisions? Or just the time and cost?

Obviously, there are many many reasons to include on a decision about job moves, and I'm not suggesting this should be your only consideration - but should it be a consideration at all?

Somebody I know once did a commute by plane from Edinburgh to London for a couple of months while they were waiting to/moving house. Would you be willing to do this given the environmental impact?

This question is a little bit like the ethics problem posed by Peter Singer: if you would risk ruining your expensive shoes to save a child who was drowning in a nearby pond, would you also be willing to donate the money those shoes cost to save children on the other side of the world?

This thread is part of TSR Goes Green! A project all about nature and the environment. You can get involved in other threads about it by clicking here.

In an ideal world I wouldn't have to, as the carbon footprint of the company would be low enough. But that's not the world we live in, so I'd have to say it would depend on my options at the time.

If I could turn it down for a "greener" job that'd be great.

but if not, then there's always the possibility of reducing the environmental impact from the inside. Whether its small things like having the office use recycled materials or greener energy sources, to helping organise a company-wide initative for greener living, it's all about the change we could make. My mum helped reduce the amount of waste from her company going to landfill to 50% of what it was in the space of 2 years, as most of the materials could be recycled, or shredded paper could be donated to animal rescue centres for bedding etc.
To be quite honest, I intend to live and work in a city (either London or a larger city up north) so I would like to be within a 20/30-minute commuting distance, be it walking or by public transport. Therefore, for me time is the key consideration but also cost too as it may be more expensive to live closer to where I work, but it could work out cheaper if I walk and don't pay for public transport.

Given walking is carbon-free and public transport is more environmentally friendly than driving, I think environmental impact is not really a consideration for me.

As for whether it should be a consideration, I am not so sure. It could be hard to calculate the impact. It could also be that you have little option but to take the job. It could also be that you do not have the money to have the luxury of considering environmental impact when choosing whether to take the job or not. I think for those who can consider it then it would be an ethical thing to do, but I would not expect anyone to turn down a job just because of the potential impact their travel might have on the environment.
If this was a practical option
Original post by 04MR17

Not a consideration for me whatsoever.

If the money is right and the job is for me, I'll take it.

Same goes for working in industries which contribute to the climate emergency e.g. big oil - again, doesn't matter to me. I'd happily work for the likes of BP/Shell/Exxon if the money is right.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending