How to make English literature notes as I go along???!

Watch
indiapaige
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hiii! I am starting A-levels in a few days and I want to commit to making my notes (eg. flashcards) as I go along. I don't know what format of revision notes I should make for English lit though.
I am considering making quizlet flashcards for quotes as I go along and find relevant quotes and maybe mindmaps for the ideas. Would it be a good idea to make a mindmap after each lesson or would there be a better use of my time? I didn't efficiently revise for GCSE lit and so don't know how best to start making resources for A-level.
SachKaur
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by indiapaige)
Hiii! I am starting A-levels in a few days and I want to commit to making my notes (eg. flashcards) as I go along. I don't know what format of revision notes I should make for English lit though.
I am considering making quizlet flashcards for quotes as I go along and find relevant quotes and maybe mindmaps for the ideas. Would it be a good idea to make a mindmap after each lesson or would there be a better use of my time? I didn't efficiently revise for GCSE lit and so don't know how best to start making resources for A-level.
I'm going into year 13, and I can definitely say making notes for English lit was a huge challenge. English teachers talk a lot and very very fast, the main thing I highly recommend doing is during lesson just focus on getting the information down (it doesn't matter if it is messy as long it is down), for me mind maps were a convenient way to do this. And secondly during lesson, make sure you annotate your texts (this includes any extra reading) well because they will be your primary reference point (I use colour codes to highlight my texts). For revision, make sure you have basic overviews of things like the plot of the text and the main characters (I made flashcards for these). Me personally I make posters to remember quotes (they include the quote, where it is from, who said it, what theme/s it is and what literary device it is). I usually hang them up in my room prior to exams, and they are definitely more helpful that just flashcards but I would recommend flashcards for learning things like critical opinions and context.
indiapaige
Rep:
?
(Original post by SachKaur)
I'm going into year 13, and I can definitely say making notes for English lit was a huge challenge. English teachers talk a lot and very very fast, the main thing I highly recommend doing is during lesson just focus on getting the information down (it doesn't matter if it is messy as long it is down), for me mind maps were a convenient way to do this. And secondly during lesson, make sure you annotate your texts (this includes any extra reading) well because they will be your primary reference point (I use colour codes to highlight my texts). For revision, make sure you have basic overviews of things like the plot of the text and the main characters (I made flashcards for these). Me personally I make posters to remember quotes (they include the quote, where it is from, who said it, what theme/s it is and what literary device it is). I usually hang them up in my room prior to exams, and they are definitely more helpful that just flashcards but I would recommend flashcards for learning things like critical opinions and context.
Ok! Thank you very much for your advice. I think I will give flashcards a go for things such as context!
TheMandalorian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You might find it easier to group your notes into categories such as themes, literary devices (e.g. personification), character analysis. Generally, I would say the most important thing is to get familiar with the themes of a text and language because exam questions almost always have a question asking about a theme in a novel or about the language. If you are studying a Shakespeare play, language is very important.
indiapaige
Rep:
?
okay!!!thank you so much for all ur advice i’m sure it will be very useful come next week!
TheOnlyIzzy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did English literature and I found the best way was to make a word document for each book and divide it into "useful quotes (sub categorised by character or theme), critic quotes, context points and finally useful connections across the two texts that book will be compared to.

In a word document you can keep adding new quotes and points as you go along, and this will make it a lot easier to write essays as the information you have is laid out neatly
indiapaige
Rep:
?
thank you! i didn’t consider writing notes on my laptop and i may try that out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.35%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (65)
30.23%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.63%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.37%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.58%
I think it's an unfair expectation (59)
27.44%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.4%

Watched Threads