The Student Room Group

3 A-Levels in a single year

Hello everyone. I'll cut down to the chase so I don't waste any of your time.I would like to hear from people who have done 3 A-Levels in a single year preferably Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics. How they were able to do so? How did they manage their time, and if they were home-studying or in a certain school? and from which board did they sit their exams in? I am planning to sit my A-levels from the Edexcel board of examinations. Any and all tips related to the query at hand are welcome. :biggrin:Thank you for taking the time to hear my post :smile:
Original post by Jack Ronning
Hello everyone. I'll cut down to the chase so I don't waste any of your time.I would like to hear from people who have done 3 A-Levels in a single year preferably Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics. How they were able to do so? How did they manage their time, and if they were home-studying or in a certain school? and from which board did they sit their exams in? I am planning to sit my A-levels from the Edexcel board of examinations. Any and all tips related to the query at hand are welcome. :biggrin:Thank you for taking the time to hear my post :smile:

What were your GCSEs?
Why do you need to and why do you think you can manage them in a year?
You are self teaching?
Dont forget the practical endorsement.

I know someone who did this the went to a college and learnt there and then would go home and do a further online course. He managed to get A*A*A in maths physics and chemistry respectively. It’s all about how much your willing to commit but it is possible.
Original post by 999tigger
What were your GCSEs?
Why do you need to and why do you think you can manage them in a year?
You are self teaching?
Dont forget the practical endorsement.

I did really well in my igcse all were A* except the languages and biology I got an A with a borderline mark to the A* but never applied for remark. I only lost 2 marks in Maths.
I heard of people doing it in the past and I already have most of the knowledge needed for Biology and Chemistry AS level as i started them last year but had to drop out of the exam because I feared I would lose focus of my igcse as I put my a levels at a very high priority.
I am in a small study group with a couple of my friends and we take tuitions with teachers in their places. Most of my peers got straight A*s in the sciences and maths.
I am not familiar with the term "practical endorsement". I am planning to take components 1-6 in bio and chem. core 1-4 and s1 and either m1 or s2. (Edexcel)
Original post by TigerTia
I know someone who did this the went to a college and learnt there and then would go home and do a further online course. He managed to get A*A*A in maths physics and chemistry respectively. It’s all about how much your willing to commit but it is possible.

i am glad to hear that. It lifts my spirit up a bit and motivates me. but have you heard of certain practices and habits he used to do that helped him a lot. For example did he used to write everything in a notebook, or use highlighters on the textbook, or did he use sticky notes. Also how many hours did he study in the day. Also did he assign a day for each subject or just studied everything everyday? Sorry for the questions overload. Just answer what you can if you want. Also if anyone else can help answer those questions, it'll make me delighted.
i am glad to hear that. It lifts my spirit up a bit and motivates me. but have you heard of certain practices and habits he used to do that helped him a lot. For example did he used to write everything in a notebook, or use highlighters on the textbook, or did he use sticky notes. Also how many hours did he study in the day. Also did he assign a day for each subject or just studied everything everyday? Sorry for the questions overload. Just answer what you can if you want. Also if anyone else can help answer those questions, it'll make me delighted.

No it’s fine. He would write up all his work in class in as much detail as possible and then. Over the course of the year he would rewrite them in less and less detail until all he needed was a single sentence to convey a paragraph of learning. He studied for roughly 3 hours after school each day (not all the time) and he did the bulk of his revision in the holidays. He also used his about 4/7 of his free periods to develop his understanding, memory and do further reading.

The form you write you note in is up to you but he would highlight the key word that helped him convey a concept so it would be easier to compact later.
(edited 4 years ago)
Are you taking International A levels? If so you don't have to worry about the practical endorsement - these are a series of practicals which students doing the UK A levels in sciences have to do in class and pass (although you can be awarded the A level without it most unis want you to have passed it). The International A levels have a written paper about practical skills instead. Also the International Maths A level lets you choose the modules you want to study, but the UK one doesn't any longer.

If you are taking International A levels I assume you are living abroad, as you can't take them in the UK
I did really well in my igcse all were A* except the languages and biology I got an A with a borderline mark to the A* but never applied for remark. I only lost 2 marks in Maths.
I heard of people doing it in the past and I already have most of the knowledge needed for Biology and Chemistry AS level as i started them last year but had to drop out of the exam because I feared I would lose focus of my igcse as I put my a levels at a very high priority.
I am in a small study group with a couple of my friends and we take tuitions with teachers in their places. Most of my peers got straight A*s in the sciences and maths.
I am not familiar with the term "practical endorsement". I am planning to take components 1-6 in bio and chem. core 1-4 and s1 and either m1 or s2. (Edexcel)

Ok you seem to know what you are doing.
It normally takes people in the UK 2 years.
Practical endorsement for UK science subjects is where you do the lab experiments and learn techniques. For uni entry they are compulsory for UK students.

I dont know the status for international A levels but you should check. Courses can be expensive.
Original post by 2childmum!
Are you taking International A levels? If so you don't have to worry about the practical endorsement - these are a series of practicals which students doing the UK A levels in sciences have to do in class and pass (although you can be awarded the A level without it most unis want you to have passed it). The International A levels have a written paper about practical skills instead. Also the International Maths A level lets you choose the modules you want to study, but the UK one doesn't any longer.

If you are taking International A levels I assume you are living abroad, as you can't take them in the UK

No we do regular A levels the teachers at my college let him sit in with the year above to finish’s his practicals on time
I was asking the op whether he/she was doing International A levels, rather than the friend you knew who had managed to do so well over one year. I'm sorry that wasn't very clear

Quick Reply

Latest