The Student Room Group

GCSE's for Russell group unis

Do you think I will have a good chance of getting into good Russell group unis with these GCSE grades? I want to do economics+maths by the way!
Maths - 8
Combined science - 8-8
English Language - 6
English Literature - 6
Religious studies - 7
Geography - 6
Btec level 2 in creative media production - Merit
Additional Maths(Level 3 fsmq) - B(6)
So overall 3 8's, 1 7, 4 6's, 1 merit

Scroll to see replies

yh lol defo, tbh its not even that deep they don't even care about GCSEs that much they focus more on a levels. so if u bang out A levels and have decent GCSEs grades then you are likely to get in. but russel groups don't really matter anymore ...
My GCSEs are worse than yours and I got accepted by 5 Russell Group Unis. I think most will require a 6 or 7 in Maths for an economics degree, but you have already got an 8. A Levels are far more important.
Original post by Alexty28
My GCSEs are worse than yours and I got accepted by 5 Russell Group Unis. I think most will require a 6 or 7 in Maths for an economics degree, but you have already got an 8. A Levels are far more important.

That's incredible! What Unis did you get in to and which did you end up going to?
Original post by lelebaz123
That's incredible! What Unis did you get in to and which did you end up going to?

I applied to do History at Manchester, Birmingham, QMUL, Bristol, and Southampton. I chose QMUL for the course and location in the end. When I started college they looked at my GCSEs and expected me to get 3 C's. I ended up with A*AB (History, Politics, English Lit) + A in EPQ. I would also like to add I didn't even achieve a single A at GCSE. I completely changed my attitude to study between GCSEs and A Levels.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5

sorry I forgot to say that these were my predictions of what I am going to get at the end of year 11. I just wanted to plan early.
Reply 6
By the way is 7 gcses enough for Russell group unis. I am kind of stressed out about that.
Reply 7
From what I’ve heard, Russell Group doesn’t mean anything, other than them being in a group that they created! I wouldn’t worry, if you get the grades that you’re predicted, then you’re well on your way to getting where you want to go.
Reply 8
Original post by Alexty28

Wow really nice!
Original post by alice03x
From what I’ve heard, Russell Group doesn’t mean anything, other than them being in a group that they created! I wouldn’t worry, if you get the grades that you’re predicted, then you’re well on your way to getting where you want to go.

I agree the institution does not determine your success and it isn't a measure of ability either it is, however, a huge achievement to get into the uni that you want to go to:h:
Reply 10
I agree the institution does not determine your success and it isn't a measure of ability either it is, however, a huge achievement to get into the uni that you want to go to:h:

By any chance is it alright if I know what you got in gcses?
Original post by Rolo1234
By any chance is it alright if I know what you got in gcses?

I've not done them yet:rofl2: I'm only just a year 11 but I'm really interested in university life, sorry
Reply 12
I've not done them yet:rofl2: I'm only just a year 11 but I'm really interested in university life, sorry

I am basically in the same position as you, how many gcses are you doing?
I am basically in the same position as you, how many gcses are you doing?

13 I think
Reply 14
13 I think

Oh wow I am only doing 7 +FSMQ+BTEC level 2, anyways good luck imma start revising in september

My daughter got A*s at A Level and of the five in her short list, only two are Russell Group and none if you go back to 2011!
I agree with Alice. No point just making choices based on the Russell Group list. It means little. Some have taken in students who got a Grade C A Level and at least one offers plenty of unconditional. In no particular order, St. Andrews, Bath, Lancs, Loughborough are all very good Uni's and not Russell Group. Schools really need to explain what Russell Group actually is and can do that as part of career talks.
(edited 4 years ago)
Oh wow I am only doing 7 +FSMQ+BTEC level 2, anyways good luck imma start revising in september

I hope you get the grades you want to get:smartass:
Do you think I will have a good chance of getting into good Russell group unis with these GCSE grades? I want to do economics+maths by the way!
Maths - 8
Combined science - 8-8
English Language - 6
English Literature - 6
Religious studies - 7
Geography - 6

You did well in your GCSEs so I don't think there will be a problem. I think your A-level grades will matter more; if you plan on studying a degree in Economics/Maths, definitely take Maths A-level. Russell Group universities, especially Cambridge and Oxford, have a lot of strong applications going in so make sure to push yourself in extra-curriculars to stand out. If you feel like you have the time, do an EPQ - a great way to show your enthusiasm in a subject of your choice. The only university I can think of that might be a bit strict with GCSE grades is Oxford; Cambridge is a lot more lenient, along with Bristol, Warwick, Cardiff, Southampton and LSE.
Reply 18
Original post by NRZ71131
You did well in your GCSEs so I don't think there will be a problem. I think your A-level grades will matter more; if you plan on studying a degree in Economics/Maths, definitely take Maths A-level. Russell Group universities, especially Cambridge and Oxford, have a lot of strong applications going in so make sure to push yourself in extra-curriculars to stand out. If you feel like you have the time, do an EPQ - a great way to show your enthusiasm in a subject of your choice. The only university I can think of that might be a bit strict with GCSE grades is Oxford; Cambridge is a lot more lenient, along with Bristol, Warwick, Cardiff, Southampton and LSE.

Would you say I would be put at a disadvantage because of the amount of gcses I have? I have 7+level 2 btec+level 3 fsmq
Reply 19
Maths - 8
Combined science - 8-8
English Language - 6
English Literature - 6
Religious studies - 7
Geography - 6

These days russel group doesn't exactly mean 'good'. A lot of universities in the group are very good, but others not so much. There's a lot of good universities outside the russel group! In the end your A-levels are important. If you're planning to do maths in uni, you might wanna consider doing further maths as well, if you're up to it.

Quick Reply

Latest