Nerds R Us - Lets go for A* A* A* A* Watch

Allons y Alonso
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys, welcome to NerdsRUs!

This is my first time doing a GYG so bare with me. It's also my first time doing A-levels so I thought why not start them at the same time?

So first things first a little about me, I guess:

GCSE Grades:
Spoiler:
Show

-Maths - 9
-English Lit - 9
-English Lan - 9
-Biology - 9
-Physics - 9
-Chemistry - 9
-Geography - 9
-Computer Science - 8
-German - 8
(We ignore those last two)

A-Level Choices:
Spoiler:
Show

-Maths
-Further Maths
-Physics
-Computer Science

I'll probably tell you some more about myself as we go, but this'll do for now: Just know I'm a classical nerd, but I'm also an open person and love exploring new ideas and activities (currently teaching myself guitar, for example).

Plans - Present & Future:
So, I'm really happy with how I've done at GCSE and I want to continue that trend to A-levels. I'm not really expecting to get the full x4 A* but who know, may as well aim high?? (it makes for a good title anyway).

Ultimately, the pipe-dream is to get A*A*A to go and study Computer Science at Cambridge- that's the end goal, but that could all change if I don't do well or if I get an apprenticeship etc.

So my plan with this GYG is to document my A-level journey and to build a community of fellow nerds to help each other with school stuffs. See this as a place to unload a bit of stress (politely please ) and to ask for advice or help with anything school. That's what I'll be doing anyway

Final Message:
Good luck with your own journeys and I hop you stick around to help me out with mine!
BlossomSugar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Allons y Alonso)
Hey guys, welcome to Nerds R Us!

This is my first time doing a GYG so bare with me. It's also my first time doing A-levels so I thought why not start them at the same time?

GCSE Grades:
Spoiler:
Show

-Maths - 9
-English Lit - 9
-English Lan - 9
-Biology - 9
-Physics - 9
-Chemistry - 9
-Geography - 9
-Computer Science - 8
-German - 8

A-Level Choices:
Spoiler:
Show

-Maths
-Further Maths
-Physics
-Computer Science

I'll probably tell you some more about myself as we go, but this'll do for now: Just know I'm a classical nerd, but I'm also an open person and love exploring new ideas and activities (currently teaching myself guitar, for example).

So, I'm really happy with how I've done at GCSE and I want to continue that trend to A-levels. I'm not really expecting to get the full x4 A* but who know, may as well aim high?? (it makes for a good title anyway).

Ultimately, the pipe-dream is to get A*A*A to go and study Computer Science at Cambridge- that's the end goal, but that could all change if I don't do well or if I get an apprenticeship etc.

So my plan with this GYG is to document my A-level journey and to build a community of fellow nerds to help each other with school stuffs. See this as a place to unload a bit of stress (politely please ) and to ask for advice or help with anything school. That's what I'll be doing anyway

Final Message:
Good luck with your own journeys and I hop you stick around to help me out with mine!
Good luck. Can I be tagged please.
epicnm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good Luck! Can I be tagged?
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Best of luck!! :rave:
Danny.B 123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, would anyone be interested in this useful free productivity app I am making that has loads of useful features that improve productivity, task management, anti-procrastination and stress management?
Alexty28
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Give me ur lunch money!
Danny.B 123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alexty28)
Give me ur lunch money!
Haha, Soooooo are you interested?
Allons y Alonso
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlossomSugar)
Good luck. Can I be tagged please.
Still new to the blogging thing so just to check w u, tagging is just putting BlossomSugar on my next post right?If so then sure thing
BlossomSugar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Still new to the blogging thing so just to check w u, tagging is just putting BlossomSugar on my next post right?If so then sure thing
Correct. Thanks
jduxie4414
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Me too!
Luqman Khan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

GCSE Grades:
Spoiler:
Show

-Maths - 9
-English Lit - 9
-English Lan - 9
-Biology - 9
-Physics - 9
-Chemistry - 9
-Geography - 9
-Computer Science - 8
-German - 8

A-Level Choices:
Spoiler:
Show

-Maths
-Further Maths
-Physics
-Computer Science

Final Message:
Same bro WE CAN DO IT. I’m starting year 12 just like you this September.
im doing maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics. Hoping for top grades like you also want so that I can get into medicine.
It’s going to be insanely difficult but I believe we can do it
Allons y Alonso
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Luqman Khan)
Same bro WE CAN DO IT. I’m starting year 12 just like you this September.
im doing maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics. Hoping for top grades like you also want so that I can get into medicine.
It’s going to be insanely difficult but I believe we can do it
Good to hear! LETS DO THIS! Hope you stick around and good luck
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oooh what sort of things you learning on gutiar?
Best of luck with Camb, any other unis in mind?
Allons y Alonso
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Oooh what sort of things you learning on gutiar?
Best of luck with Camb, any other unis in mind?
Mostly just strumming like a madman but I'm TRYING to learn some simple stuff first (boulevard of broken dreams, wonderwall etc.).
In terms of Uni, Imperial College London is meant to be great for computer science so I'll probably apply there too. It all just really depends on how A-levels go

What about you? Where you looking at going and do you have experience with a guitar (Help )?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mostly just strumming like a madman but I'm TRYING to learn some simple stuff first (boulevard of broken dreams, wonderwall etc.).
In terms of Uni, Imperial College London is meant to be great for computer science so I'll probably apply there too. It all just really depends on how A-levels go

What about you? Where you looking at going and do you have experience with a guitar (Help )?
keep in mind you'll need to take STEP for Imperial (if you've never heard of it then look at this thread). I'm going there for physics in about 4 weeks

My guitar experience is mainly with classical but don't underestimate the usefulness of knowing your scales and arpeggios, it makes improvising actually doable and will probably make learning songs much easier too
Allons y Alonso
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Okay, people have mentioned about tagging so I thought I'd do a bit of programming to make my life easier with tagging you guys!

I've attached the script if you want to take a look (or if you want to steal it, I don't mind ):

Python script for creating a tag list:

Spoiler:
Show
### Username Scraper from TSR by Allons y Allonso 01/09/2019###
### A simple script to create a list of all users previously mentioned in a forum for tagging ###

import subprocess #Native function to allow copying to clipboard
import requests #To get source code of blog (or any website)
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup #Libraries to enable web parsing
from csv import writer, reader #Libraries to ennable us to save/ and read data to/from csv files for record keeping

#Function to copy @ list to clipboard
def copy2clip(txt):
cmd='echo '+txt.strip()+'|clip'
return subprocess.check_call(cmd, shell=True)

#Get source code of web page
WEBPAGE = 'https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6116648&p=85059 376#post85059376'

def tag_list(webpage):
response = requests.get(webpage) #get source code of selected web page

soup = BeautifulSoup(response.text, 'html.parser') #Initialise parser

posts = soup.find_all(class_='username bold show-user-details show-user-details-hover') #create list of all html elements with this class

try:
with open('usernames.csv', 'r') as csv_file: #Attempt to open file
csv_reader = reader(csv_file) #If it already exists we don't want to add the same names
usernames = list(csv_reader) #So make a list of the names that already exist
print(usernames)
except FileNotFoundError: #If you can't open the file, this is the first time so
usernames = [] # Setup a blank list to add usernames for checking in the loop

with open('usernames.csv','w',newline ='') as csv_file: #Open csv file to save usernames to
csv_writer = writer(csv_file) #Setup csv writer object

tags = '' #Setup empty string to add tags to
for post in posts: #Loop through list of desired html elements
user = post.get_text().strip() #Get text from elements and strip away white spacing
if user not in usernames: #Only write name if it has not already appeared
tags += str('@' + user + ',') # Append to string to be copied to clipboard
usernames.append(user) #Append to list so doesn't get added again
csv_writer.writerow(http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=) #Actually write to CSV file

copy2clip(tags) #Copy the list to clipboard

tag_list(WEBPAGE)

) and add improvements!
Allons y Alonso, BlossomSugar, epicnm,nyxnko_,Danny.B 123,Alexty28,jduxie4414,Luqman Khan,Sinnoh,">http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=
It's all fairly simple, but I thought it would be a good way to get back into my programming ready for A-level, as well as actually making something useful! I'll probably make some more changes in the future (like adding an opt out system), but for now what it does is parse through this blog's html code and finds all the usernames. Then it puts an '@' in front of it and saves it to my clipboard automatically. It also saves everyone's username to a csv file for my own little record.

Feel free to criticise it (constructively ) and add improvements!
Allons y Alonso, BlossomSugar, epicnm,nyxnko_,Danny.B 123,Alexty28,jduxie4414,Luqman Khan,Sinnoh,
Last edited by Allons y Alonso; 1 month ago
PrazzPrazz
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

GCSE Grades:
Spoiler:
Show

-Maths - 9
-English Lit - 9
-English Lan - 9
-Biology - 9
-Physics - 9
-Chemistry - 9
-Geography - 9
-Computer Science - 8
-German - 8

A-Level Choices:
Spoiler:
Show

-Maths
-Further Maths
-Physics
-Computer Science

Final Message:
hasnt toys r us closed
Allons y Alonso
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by PrazzPrazz)
hasnt toys r us closed
Yeah it has... hopefully I don't follow the same path . I just thought it was a good name
.unknown
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yesss tag me as well! Starting year 12 this year and I'm doing maths further maths physics and economics
Allons y Alonso
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by .unknown)
Yesss tag me as well! Starting year 12 this year and I'm doing maths further maths physics and economics
Will do and good luck with your subjects! Which subject would you say you're looking forward to most?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
6.57%
They might tell the bully (22)
10.33%
I don't think they'd understand (36)
16.9%
It might lead to more bullying (74)
34.74%
There's nothing they could do (67)
31.46%

Watched Threads