Nineleven
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi guys,

I hope you all did well on your exams this year. I have a question for you. I am a mature student trying to get the necessary qualifications to enter University and I got an offer to study a Higher in Chemistry this year, but since I am already studying 2 other demanding biology courses, I am unsure whether I could perform well with the workload. Therefore, I would like to know from your experiences how many hours of study per week are required for successful completion of the Chemistry Higher so that I can estimate whether I will should take it or not. I would really appreciate some insight and advice, it would be incredibly helpful!

Thanks in advance.
cna1806
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Nineleven)
Hi guys,

I hope you all did well on your exams this year. I have a question for you. I am a mature student trying to get the necessary qualifications to enter University and I got an offer to study a Higher in Chemistry this year, but since I am already studying 2 other demanding biology courses, I am unsure whether I could perform well with the workload. Therefore, I would like to know from your experiences how many hours of study per week are required for successful completion of the Chemistry Higher so that I can estimate whether I will should take it or not. I would really appreciate some insight and advice, it would be incredibly helpful!

Thanks in advance.
Hi, I crashed Higher Chemistry in S6 and came out with an A.
Chemistry can be a tough subject especially at the start.
If you're doing Biology as well and you consider yourself "good" at science subjects then you should be fine with Chemistry. I consider myself lucky in the sense that with chemistry it really just clicked. But I still had to study. For someone who considered themselves quite good at the subject. I just went through the class fine and whenever I was stuck I would use my notes, my Hodder Gibson Higher Chemistry book and Ms Adams Chemistry Youtube channel to solidify and consolidate my knowledge. Chemistry is really logical and so once you get it, you get it (in my experience anyway). Since you're really science based dedicate around a quarter dozen hours a week of strategised and focused revision and make sure to attend class and listen to what's being said. Use the course specification for any clarification and use it as a basic "need to know" guide, and do your past papers. There's s website with past papers from the 90's until this years paper. Work through them throughout the year. Don't waste time in/outwith class and whenever you're unsure make sure to always ASK, please never sit confused or unsure and walk away thinking "I'll get it later", I made that mistake and ended up dropping unnecessary marks on tests. If it gets too hard and you can't understand the theory behind it, memorise it. The course spec has what the SQA are allowed to ask you, so as long as you know that you'll be fine. And most importantly, as bad and cheesy and cringy as this may sound: try enjoy it, and apply it to everyday life in order to remember it, learn the periodic table song, think of chemistry in real life scenarios and trust me it will start to click fast. This was how I got an A in Higher Chem, I hope it helped and I wish you the best of luck!
Nineleven
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi cna1806,

Thank you so much for your reply and congratulations on achieving an A on Chemistry! I really appreciate all the advice from your experience, everything you said is very helpful and you are absolutely right that we should not leave our questions unanswered. I can totally relate to what you said, I feel that click with Chemistry as well, it just makes sense to me, even though I am not that good at Maths and Physics.
How many hours per week did you dedicate or you would recommend for me to dedicate on studying?
katherine340
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Nineleven)
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.
I got an B in higher chemistry, but was only 2% away from an A which was very frustrating when my exam went really good. If you are a science-y person Higher Chemistry shouldn’t be very hard. If you revise constantly and make sure you get everything in the course then you are good. If you are good at maths then the calculations unit shouldn’t be too challenging.
To be honest I didn’t particularly like Higher Chemistry, even tho I loved Nat 5 and got an A, and now I’m doing Advanced Higher which I’m finding way more interesting than Higher.
Higher Chemistry is a great course otherwise, shouldn’t be really challenging if you keep revising and doing questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
9.52%
Disagree (2)
9.52%
Neither agree or disagree (7)
33.33%
Agree (6)
28.57%
Strongly Agree (4)
19.05%

Watched Threads