Which BTEC courses for Computer Science at uni? Watch

hydered
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I’m starting Year 12 in a few days time and doing A-Level French, EPQ, and Applied Science BTEC Double. On the entry requirements pages for many universities it says I will need the BTECS to be in IT, Science, or Engineering.
Would I have a higher chance to be able to go for a computer science degree if I go for Applied Science BTEC Single instead of double and take BTEC IT? Does it matter? The reason I’m asking at this point is because we will have 3 weeks to decide if we want to change courses.

Thanks
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The key subject for getting onto Computer Science is A level Maths. Most leading universities want it and the ones that done require at least grade B at GCSE. Without that it is very difficult to get onto a CS course. As far as which BTEC you need to check the university requirements. BTEC in IT would probably be favourable but I suspect most might accept Applied Science but without the correct Maths requirement you are not likely to get in anyway.
hydered
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
The key subject for getting onto Computer Science is A level Maths. Most leading universities want it and the ones that done require at least grade B at GCSE. Without that it is very difficult to get onto a CS course. As far as which BTEC you need to check the university requirements. BTEC in IT would probably be favourable but I suspect most might accept Applied Science but without the correct Maths requirement you are not likely to get in anyway.
Thanks for the reply. I’ll probably change it to Single Applied Science and IT. There are various non-Russell Group universities which accept a 5 in GCSE Maths and don’t require A-Level Maths, so I don’t think not taking A-Level Maths would be a problem in terms of getting into a good enough university for compsci.
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hydered)
Thanks for the reply. I’ll probably change it to Single Applied Science and IT. There are various non-Russell Group universities which accept a 5 in GCSE Maths and don’t require A-Level Maths, so I don’t think not taking A-Level Maths would be a problem in terms of getting into a good enough university for compsci.
To put the position straight Durham, York, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham, Warwick, Bristol, Bath, Exeter and Southampton are amongst a group of universities requiring A level Maths and Lancaster, Nottingham, East Anglia, Reading, Royal Holloway, Sussex and Swansea are amongst universities requiring grade B GCSE. The only really good university I am aware of that accepts grade 5 in Maths is Kent. I suggest you check where you are considering looking at to see their entrance requirements. There was someone on here recently who just completed his BTEC who had the same problem
StudentRep Annabel
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hydered)
I’m starting Year 12 in a few days time and doing A-Level French, EPQ, and Applied Science BTEC Double. On the entry requirements pages for many universities it says I will need the BTECS to be in IT, Science, or Engineering.
Would I have a higher chance to be able to go for a computer science degree if I go for Applied Science BTEC Single instead of double and take BTEC IT? Does it matter? The reason I’m asking at this point is because we will have 3 weeks to decide if we want to change courses.

Thanks
Hi there!
I don't know much about the entry requirements for other universities, but at the University of Kent they don't specify what your BTECs have to be in on their entry requirements for Computer Science, they just ask for Distinction in any BTECs you do take. They also ask for GCSE Maths grade C/5. I'm currently studying at Kent and have several friends who are studying computer science here too and they've really enjoyed it I'll leave the course information page here in case you're interested in looking into Computer Science at Kent, also please feel free to ask me any questions if you have any. Good luck with starting sixth form!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (204)
23.5%
Pop (214)
24.65%
Jazz (33)