The Student Room Group

Tesla autopilot on driving test

I got my test on September 17. Most likely to use my instructors car but was thinking what if I could use a tesla. Do you think autopilot should be allowed on driving test?

Scroll to see replies

Wouldn’t be much of a “driving” test then, would it? I highly doubt they’ll let you drive a car with autopilot, but feel free to try...
Original post by OR321
Wouldn’t be much of a “driving” test then, would it? I highly doubt they’ll let you drive a car with autopilot, but feel free to try...

They might, as long as you got the correct insurance. Certain cars are not allowed due to visibility such as convertibles, etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Nadim Chowdhury
I got my test on September 17. Most likely to use my instructors car but was thinking what if I could use a tesla. Do you think autopilot should be allowed on driving test?

No, it's not allowed. No, it shouldn't be.
What would be the point of doing a driving test using autopilot? The point of the test is to show you're a competent driver and you can't prove that if the car is doing half the work for you. Same reason why you wouldn't be able to use park assist.
I'm desperately hoping this is a troll thread.
Reply 6
just wondering, do you already have a tesla at home or would you be buying one just for the test?
Original post by solark
just wondering, do you already have a tesla at home or would you be buying one just for the test?

Maybe he's got Elon Musk on speed dial?
No I don't have a tesla. And I won't be able to get one either. But it was just a thought I had on a driving lesson.
Okay, let’s say you pass the test with flying colours by using an auto drive function.

You then hop in a regular car and immediately kill someone.

Could we maybe agree this isn’t a great outcome?
Original post by Admit-One
Okay, let’s say you pass the test with flying colours by using an auto drive function.

You then hop in a regular car and immediately kill someone.

Could we maybe agree this isn’t a great outcome?

Or even a Tesla that popped out of autopilot while it was moving.

Someone might come up with an autonomous vehicle licence that only permitted the holder to drive 'self driving' vehicles in 'self driving' mode... but it's a rapidly developing area that the legislation will have a job keeping up with.
You might as well ask can your driving instructor not do it for you. The test isn't to test whether your car is capable, it's a test of whether you are capable of driving a car.

In the future, I think there will be a new category in addition to manual and auto, to cover self drive cars. So, if you pass in a manual you'd be able to drive all three, if you pass in an auto you can drive in auto or self drive, but if you pass in self drive you can only drive self drive. Although it's unlikely that cars will be completely self drive, so you would still probably need to take a test in at least an auto car.
Reply 12
You would also only be able to get an automatic licence since you can’t get a manual transmission Tesla.
For anyone interested, I did take my test with a Tesla and I failed. Because I used the wrong lane at a roundabout
Original post by amirvenus
For anyone interested, I did take my test with a Tesla and I failed. Because I used the wrong lane at a roundabout

I don’t think using a Tesla was the interesting part of this thread, it was the enquiry as to whether you could use the auto pilot function in a test.

I miss Nadim.
Reply 15
Original post by Admit-One
I don’t think using a Tesla was the interesting part of this thread, it was the enquiry as to whether you could use the auto pilot function in a test.

I miss Nadim.

Only level 1 driving assistance is allowed- cruise control, speed limiter, lane departure warning. Anything above this will result in a test termination. If you have a car that has assists such as automatic braking or suchlike it can be present but if it enables it will be a serious fault and treated the same way as a situation where the examiner took action to avoid danger.
Reply 16
Original post by TheDE
Only level 1 driving assistance is allowed- cruise control, speed limiter, lane departure warning. Anything above this will result in a test termination. If you have a car that has assists such as automatic braking or suchlike it can be present but if it enables it will be a serious fault and treated the same way as a situation where the examiner took action to avoid danger.

Eek, even if the cause was an inside out crisp packet flying in front of the radar?
Original post by TheDE

(Very daft question as I’ve only sat in an semi-autonomous vehicle in a test rig to help a PhD study)

How would the examiner know? Does it flash up on the displays explaining what is happening? Or is there a log of events that can be viewed?
Original post by IWMTom
Eek, even if the cause was an inside out crisp packet flying in front of the radar?

30 crisp packets momentarily in the shape of a Fiat 500. What a way to blow a test.
Reply 19
Original post by IWMTom

A crisp packet has the potential to do serious damage to Vauxhalls.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply