Tesla autopilot on driving test

Watch
Nadim Chowdhury
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got my test on September 17. Most likely to use my instructors car but was thinking what if I could use a tesla. Do you think autopilot should be allowed on driving test?
username4499734
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wouldn’t be much of a “driving” test then, would it? I highly doubt they’ll let you drive a car with autopilot, but feel free to try...
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
Wouldn’t be much of a “driving” test then, would it? I highly doubt they’ll let you drive a car with autopilot, but feel free to try...
They might, as long as you got the correct insurance. Certain cars are not allowed due to visibility such as convertibles, etc.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nadim Chowdhury)
I got my test on September 17. Most likely to use my instructors car but was thinking what if I could use a tesla. Do you think autopilot should be allowed on driving test?
No, it's not allowed. No, it shouldn't be.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What would be the point of doing a driving test using autopilot? The point of the test is to show you're a competent driver and you can't prove that if the car is doing half the work for you. Same reason why you wouldn't be able to use park assist.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm desperately hoping this is a troll thread.
solark
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
just wondering, do you already have a tesla at home or would you be buying one just for the test?
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by solark)
just wondering, do you already have a tesla at home or would you be buying one just for the test?
Maybe he's got Elon Musk on speed dial?
Nadim Chowdhury
Rep:
?
No I don't have a tesla. And I won't be able to get one either. But it was just a thought I had on a driving lesson.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay, let’s say you pass the test with flying colours by using an auto drive function.

You then hop in a regular car and immediately kill someone.

Could we maybe agree this isn’t a great outcome?
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
Okay, let’s say you pass the test with flying colours by using an auto drive function.

You then hop in a regular car and immediately kill someone.

Could we maybe agree this isn’t a great outcome?
Or even a Tesla that popped out of autopilot while it was moving.

Someone might come up with an autonomous vehicle licence that only permitted the holder to drive 'self driving' vehicles in 'self driving' mode... but it's a rapidly developing area that the legislation will have a job keeping up with.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You might as well ask can your driving instructor not do it for you. The test isn't to test whether your car is capable, it's a test of whether you are capable of driving a car.

In the future, I think there will be a new category in addition to manual and auto, to cover self drive cars. So, if you pass in a manual you'd be able to drive all three, if you pass in an auto you can drive in auto or self drive, but if you pass in self drive you can only drive self drive. Although it's unlikely that cars will be completely self drive, so you would still probably need to take a test in at least an auto car.
Sh_A
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You would also only be able to get an automatic licence since you can’t get a manual transmission Tesla.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (538)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (652)
41.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (324)
20.42%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.6%

Watched Threads