English Lit A Level Revision Tips??!! Watch

milliedowley
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I’m a year deep in my a levels and I’ve found it really difficult to revise for English Lit (AQA Tragedy & Social Protest) I haven’t done all that much and I’m trying to make a good start before I go back for y13.

I’ve read all the books and have class notes that’s about it, what would you guys say is the most effective way for studying it. I know everyone’s different but I’m up to trying anything that has worked.

caitli.n
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
try finding (or creating your own) essay questions and mindmap/essay plan all your ideas for that question, and maybe try doing it from memory. make flash cards for the most important quotes- I always try and practice flashcards on my bus journey to college. also get any essays you write marked by your teacher as a way of making sure you're doing the right things. good luck ❤️🍀
S.carter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by milliedowley)
I’m a year deep in my a levels and I’ve found it really difficult to revise for English Lit (AQA Tragedy & Social Protest) I haven’t done all that much and I’m trying to make a good start before I go back for y13.

I’ve read all the books and have class notes that’s about it, what would you guys say is the most effective way for studying it. I know everyone’s different but I’m up to trying anything that has worked.
I did practice essays and my teacher marked them for me, it definitely helped me and paid off on results day
Quizlet can be helpful for remembering quotes and context, too.
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by milliedowley)

I did English Lit with OCR. I basically bought as many revision guides as I could and read them all. I also did loads of past questions and gave them to my teacher to mark regularly. I also googled essays written about my texts and read those and printed out the good ones. In the 24hours before my exam I would skim through the relevant revision guides and read all the relevant essays that I’d written and read online.
Also, if you do a past question and get a rubbish result give it a week and then go back and re-answer. This technique got me from a D in my mock 4 weeks before exams (I cried a lot) to a high B. I would probs have got an A if there wasn’t the ridiculous exam arrangement for my first English exam and if I’d also started doing this earlier. But anyway, start early and read other people’s work both in class, online and in revision guides. You will pick up points that you never would have thought off yourself. Good luck!
milliedowley
Rep:
?
thank you so much!! I’ll defo try that I have a few revision guides at home I haven’t really used so I’ll look into those in more depth as well
milliedowley
Rep:
?
(Original post by S.carter)
I did practice essays and my teacher marked them for me, it definitely helped me and paid off on results day
Quizlet can be helpful for remembering quotes and context, too.
I used quizlet a lot for science and I actually help lmao so I should probably do that for English too & I didn’t even think of essays thank you
milliedowley
Rep:
?
(Original post by Phoenixfeather99)
I did English Lit with OCR. I basically bought as many revision guides as I could and read them all. I also did loads of past questions and gave them to my teacher to mark regularly. I also googled essays written about my texts and read those and printed out the good ones. In the 24hours before my exam I would skim through the relevant revision guides and read all the relevant essays that I’d written and read online.
Also, if you do a past question and get a rubbish result give it a week and then go back and re-answer. This technique got me from a D in my mock 4 weeks before exams (I cried a lot) to a high B. I would probs have got an A if there wasn’t the ridiculous exam arrangement for my first English exam and if I’d also started doing this earlier. But anyway, start early and read other people’s work both in class, online and in revision guides. You will pick up points that you never would have thought off yourself. Good luck!
I’ll defo give that a go I know there’s a few good essay samples online so I’ll look through thank you
milliedowley
Rep:
?
(Original post by caitli.n)
try finding (or creating your own) essay questions and mindmap/essay plan all your ideas for that question, and maybe try doing it from memory. make flash cards for the most important quotes- I always try and practice flashcards on my bus journey to college. also get any essays you write marked by your teacher as a way of making sure you're doing the right things. good luck ❤️🍀
Thank you!!! A few people have mentioned essay plans before but I wasn’t sure if it would help but I’ll defo give them a go now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate