The Student Room Group

Do ‘good’ universities (eg RGs) have spaces in clearing?

I’m looking at studying politics or history at university next year (entering year 13) and the universities I’m looking at all have high entry requirements (ABB-A*AA). While I regularly work at a A or a B in the subjects I’m taking, I’m unsure as to whether I’ll get the predicted grades necessary (predicted ACC atm) to get a conditional offer. I was wondering if the Unis I’m looking at (Durham, Glasgow, Exeter, Edinburgh) have spaces in clearing I could apply for after I get my A level results next August?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Yes, but the spaces don't last long.
Original post by Cmacg1
I’m looking at studying politics or history at university next year (entering year 13) and the universities I’m looking at all have high entry requirements (ABB-A*AA). While I regularly work at a A or a B in the subjects I’m taking, I’m unsure as to whether I’ll get the predicted grades necessary (predicted ACC atm) to get a conditional offer. I was wondering if the Unis I’m looking at (Durham, Glasgow, Exeter, Edinburgh) have spaces in clearing I could apply for after I get my A level results next August?

Exeter were in Clearing, don’t think Durham were though and no idea about the Scottish ones. You are better off applying for Unis that are likely to make you an offer plus one or two aspirational ones like Exeter. If you do much better than expected, you can apply to Unis in Adjustment rather than Clearing
i think all but edinburgh were on this yr
Original post by Cmacg1

Exeter, Glasgow and Edinburgh all participated in clearing this year, but I'm not sure if they had spaces for politics or history. Do bear in mind that more popular/mainstream courses are less likely to have spaces in clearing.

Durham participated in clearing to a limited extent, but were aiming to fill spaces before A-level results day.

I'd definitely do an application in the autumn and apply to unis sensibly, with the back up option in your mind that you may decide to go into clearing if your results are good.

Clearing spaces can fill up quickly and the courses in clearing do vary year on year, so this isn't a plan you can 100% rely on if you want to be sure of a uni place next year.
Exeter also offer places for their Penryn campus with lower grades than Streatham campus. That is worth considering although it is quite a long way from most people. Durham isnt usually in clearing and I dont know about the Scottish ones although they are sometimes very restrictive to the quota system they operate in Scotland. You can apply to Durham as an aspirational with Exeter then look at universities with AAB or lower as your other options. In practice most universities actually accept lower grades on results day and if it doesnt go well then try clearing but it is likely you wont get into Durham.
Original post by Cmacg1

Not often. But other Russell groups such as Manchester, Nottingham and Warwick tend to be open for clearing.
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Not often. But other Russell groups such as Manchester, Nottingham and Warwick tend to be open for clearing.

outside of Durham and Exeter Lancaster offer AAB as does Exeter at Penryn. Welsh universities like Swansea will likely accept you with those grades and probably Aberystwyth and Bangor as well so could be useful as your 4th and 5th choices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending