The Student Room Group

Bad interview experience

I had phone interview with a company I'm doing a programme with, the mock interview was for a summer internship place at this big organization. The division I applied for is relatively new to me but I was interested regardless and so all the technical jargon and knowledge required, I didn't necesarily have but I have researched endlessly to compensate and am more than willing to learn. The interviewer from the get go seemed very disinterested, dimissed my answers, criticised everything I said but was blatantly rude when I couldn't answer some of the technical questions saying that I looked really bad and basically implying I was stupid multiple times. He even went on to talk about how my university wasn't good enough compared to his after I said I declined his unversity due to personal preferences but he basically said I was stupid since it's a better university. He would cut me off whenever I wanted to speak and never have I felt so insulted and belittled during an interview. he was practically yelling through the phone. I understand that I do need to brush up on my technical knowledge but I made is obvious that I applied to division to learn and gain experience and that it all new to me. I'm worried all my other interviews would be like this. Is this generally how all interviews are?
This sounds like an exceptionally appalling experience - it is definitely not the norm whatsoever. It sounds like they have very little understanding how interviews work and the decency that is normally given to candidates. If I was in your position, I'd shoot an email to say your experience with this individual was very rude and unprofessional.

For peace of mind
- If you're doing an initial interview with HR - they tend to ask generic script-based questions, write answers down, with minimal technicals required
- If you're doing a video interview - you enjoy that no one interrupts you since you're talking to yourself
- And if you're interviewing someone within the line of business you're applying for, you'd definitely be treated with more respect (without them trying to stroke their own ego in the process)

Since it was a mock interview - just take the the only important lesson from the experience i.e being more solid on the technicals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending