The Student Room Group

Is it worth me applying to Oxford?

So I have recently completed my A-Levels and I didn’t apply to university last year for personal reasons, but I am applying this year. I got my results and they were: A* English Lit, A History, B Drama, and A Religious Studies (AS). I was planning on applying to Oxford University to study English but I am worried that these grades aren’t impressive enough. I feel that the university itself is right for me but I’m just a little skeptical. I am on my gap year now and I am finishing A-Level Religious studies having already done it AS and I’m expected to get an A or A* in that also.
Thanks!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Lady Lois
So I have recently completed my A-Levels and I didn’t apply to university last year for personal reasons, but I am applying this year. I got my results and they were: A* English Lit, A History, B Drama, and A Religious Studies (AS). I was planning on applying to Oxford University but I am worried that these grades aren’t impressive enough. I feel that the university itself is right for me but I’m just a little skeptical. I am on my gap year now and I am finishing A-Level Religious studies having already done it AS and I’m expected to get an A or A* in that also.
Thanks!

What subject are you applying for? I couldn't discern this from the above post.
Reply 2
Original post by RichE
What subject are you applying for? I couldn't discern this from the above post.

English, sorry 😂
Reply 3
English, sorry 😂

I don't think there's anything in what you've said that would mean your application wasn't realistic - but the process is highly competitive.
Reply 4
Original post by RichE
I don't think there's anything in what you've said that would mean your application wasn't realistic - but the process is highly competitive.

Okay, thank you! Yes I realise the competition, I just wanted to make sure no one was going to turn around and say “that’s unrealistic”, which sounds silly but anyway! Thanks for your help :smile:
So I have recently completed my A-Levels and I didn’t apply to university last year for personal reasons, but I am applying this year. I got my results and they were: A* English Lit, A History, B Drama, and A Religious Studies (AS). I was planning on applying to Oxford University to study English but I am worried that these grades aren’t impressive enough. I feel that the university itself is right for me but I’m just a little skeptical. I am on my gap year now and I am finishing A-Level Religious studies having already done it AS and I’m expected to get an A or A* in that also.
Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about grades being "impressive" - as long as you fulfill the entry requirements (AAA) and are interested in the course, you should consider applying!

Tagging @BrasenoseAdm - do the three A grades have to be achieved in one sitting? Can OP apply if she achieves A*/A in Religious Studies?
Reply 6
Thanks!

Hello, I'm in a similar situation having missed my offer for Oxford. Although Edinburgh my insurance is still good I feel like I didn't have the chance to show my full potential due to extenuating circumstances. Have you decided what youll do?
Reply 7
Why oxbridge? It is not the be all and end all.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mishieru07
I wouldn't worry about grades being "impressive" - as long as you fulfill the entry requirements (AAA) and are interested in the course, you should consider applying!

Tagging @BrasenoseAdm - do the three A grades have to be achieved in one sitting? Can OP apply if she achieves A*/A in Religious Studies?

Assessment will consider the fact that the entry requirement was not met in a single sitting and any extenuating circumstances that account for this. In general, the standard candidates are expected to meet is not super-scored (ie not designed to enable applicants to carry forward and bank results over two or more years). This is partly because entry is competitive and partly because the grade threshold is there to ensure that students will be in a position to manage workload and perform well on course. But if there are individual circumstances to consider, they will be considered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending