ibstu1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am currently studying law at KCL... will a first class degree and an Oxbridge LLM/BCL at Distinction standard allow me to gain a place at the commercial bar, or do I need to have an Oxbridge undergrad?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
BCL/LLM would be enough.
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You don't need a postgraduate degree for the commercial bar. Do one if you want to do one.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Forum User)
You don't need a postgraduate degree for the commercial bar. Do one if you want to do one.
Don't need, but would OP be put in a better position to succeed at the commercial bar with one? There seems to be a tendency, especially amongst non-Oxbridge-educated aspiring barristers, to take on postgrad courses.

It would seem that a top postgrad would demonstrate the USP of "I am really clever", and given the bar is looking for people who are really clever, this should affect prospects?
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Don't need, but would OP be put in a better position to succeed at the commercial bar with one? There seems to be a tendency, especially amongst non-Oxbridge-educated aspiring barristers, to take on postgrad courses.

It would seem that a top postgrad would demonstrate the USP of "I am really clever", and given the bar is looking for people who are really clever, this should affect prospects?
I should start by saying that I have absolutely nothing to do with the recruitment of pupils at my set so this is all just my own opinion.

I agree that there is some correlation between having a postgraduate degree and being a pupil at a commercial set. I just doubt whether the former has more than a trivial causative effect on becoming the latter. Most pupils at the commercial bar get their pupillage pre-BPTC. From my limited circle of friends / acquaintances I would say that the relevant proportion is over 90%. Those doing a post-graduate degree will therefore usually be applying during that degree so that they will not have their results. I do not think that merely the fact that one is studying for a post-grad degree, even the BCL, shows that "I am really clever" (at least, no more than a first class result from KCL). Obviously I am not saying that doing the BCL or an LLM at a good university is pointless but if someone plans on doing it only because it will improve their CV for the purposes of applying to the commercial bar I would question whether they are getting a good return on their money (including the opportunity cost of spending another year studying instead of working). In my opinion it is only worth doing the BCL/LLM if one is at least thinking about becoming an academic, or if one is interested in advanced study for its own sake.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (230)
61.01%
No (78)
20.69%
Not sure (69)
18.3%

Watched Threads