fockinghateexams
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm going into year 12 and considering psychology a-level. Although it's an interesting subject to me, it doesn't have much link with the other subjects I've picked (Eng lit & history). I'm concerned having it as an a-level because my goal is to study law at a top uni and that psychology might have a reputation for being an 'easy option'. Any opinions about this or any advice from people who have taken psych would be really appreciated
ANO-NI-MUS
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's actually not as bad as you think. LSE includes psychology in their preferred list subject. I recon it's fine. You have E lit and history so you have two facilitating subjects. If you want to, go for it.
Marni_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Psychology is multi-disciplinary, it links to so many different fields, including law. Learning how the mind works is useful in pretty much any career, why do criminals do what they do? What will the psychological implications of certain laws etc be on society? In addition to this, it is fast-becoming a facilitating subject. It's certainly not considered an 'easy option' like perhaps sociology or other soft subjects are due to the science elements of particular areas of psychology (neuroscience, cognitive, psychiatry etc.).
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Psychology is great mix of science and essays at A-level. How did you do at GCSE in maths and sciences (particularly bio)?
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Psychology is actually quite a hard A Level. You have to know multiple theories and be able to evaluate them against others. Psychology is also really useful in law, especially the forensic psychology options and links.
I did psychology, English Lit and geography and got offers from Russell group unis so unrelated A Levels aren’t a negative, in fact it shows that you are well rounded.
Deanna R
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fockinghateexams)
I'm going into year 12 and considering psychology a-level. Although it's an interesting subject to me, it doesn't have much link with the other subjects I've picked (Eng lit & history). I'm concerned having it as an a-level because my goal is to study law at a top uni and that psychology might have a reputation for being an 'easy option'. Any opinions about this or any advice from people who have taken psych would be really appreciated
I also did English lit, History and I did psychology i am currently studying law and found psychology a really good and interesting subject to take. I got offers from Russell group unis and doing psychology won’t discourage them from making you an offer so don’t worry. Unis are more interested in the skills that you pick up in psychology that can be applied to your time studying law rather then the actual content that you learn in the lessons. Psychology is far more respected then it was before. Also it of unis also do combined degrees with psychology such as Law with psychology is very popular.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (12)
21.05%
No (45)
78.95%

Watched Threads