The Student Room Group

Things to do for gaining experience to study medicine

What are some events or activities that I can do for gaining enough experience to study medicine at university? I'm starting Year 12 in a few days and from what I've heard I need to do a lot of things to actually apply for medicine due to it beinh such a competitive course. Because the pressure is lighter in the first year of Alevels, I want to do as much as I can during this period. But I have no clue how to start!!
So I'll be really grateful to you guys if you provide me with some guidance such as where to go, websites that would help like Premed etc, summer schools and all that.

(Side note: I'm eligible for free school meals, if that's a factor that needs to be considered)
Thank you in advance!!
Get some experience in care-related scenarios such as care homes, hospices. Contact them early otherwise you might not get them. Pre Med is also a great organisation for aspiring medics. I did an anatomy day back in August which was very educational, I highly recommend it. I'm going into year 13 and I'm applying for medicine. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous5005
What are some events or activities that I can do for gaining enough experience to study medicine at university? I'm starting Year 12 in a few days and from what I've heard I need to do a lot of things to actually apply for medicine due to it beinh such a competitive course. Because the pressure is lighter in the first year of Alevels, I want to do as much as I can during this period. But I have no clue how to start!!
So I'll be really grateful to you guys if you provide me with some guidance such as where to go, websites that would help like Premed etc, summer schools and all that.

(Side note: I'm eligible for free school meals, if that's a factor that needs to be considered)
Thank you in advance!!

this will help with the work experience question

What's your nearest med school (or the one you REALLY want to go to?). There's a good chance they offer a widening access scheme you will be eligible for which might include things like summer schools. Sometimes they are based on their local area but not always.

Thank you in advance!!

I shadowed my friend's dad in the hospital for a week, volunteered at a hospice, care home, did extended period of time at the hospital too. Look on your local hospitals/ hospice websites and see if there are any programmes you can apply to.
Thank you so much for the thread but I believe it is a bit old so somethings might have changed today?
Original post by 2500_2
this will help with the work experience question

What's your nearest med school (or the one you REALLY want to go to?). There's a good chance they offer a widening access scheme you will be eligible for which might include things like summer schools. Sometimes they are based on their local area but not always.

I really want to try for oxford or cambridge as my first choice, followed by UCL and Imperial. I live in London so UCL and imperial are easily accessible
Reply 6
I really want to try for oxford or cambridge as my first choice, followed by UCL and Imperial. I live in London so UCL and imperial are easily accessible

Oxford has a great scheme - UNIQ (pays for everything for its spring/summer schools including travel, food etc), pretty easy to find out if you are eligible using its postcode checking. They are currently asking people to register their interest for your year.
[d
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by 2500_2
Oxford has a great scheme - UNIQ (pays for everything for its spring/summer schools including travel, food etc), pretty easy to find out if you are eligible using its postcode checking. They are currently asking people to register their interest for your year.

this is the cambridge version

Thank you!! Also can the Sutton trust be done for only 1 university or can i choose more?
Reply 10

and UCL has a wide variety of events - worth checking to see if any are of use.
ngl, there is a cost to applying for medicine (things like the registration fee for the UCAT exam). Don't let it put you off, search out the bursaries and keep an eye on their deadlines.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Thank you!! Also can the Sutton trust be done for only 1 university or can i choose more?

I don't know the answer to that but you won't sound stupid asking them.
Reply 12

Only 1. You can only do one of their programmes - the US Programme, Pathways or a Summer School. If you apply to multiple (which you can, in some cases) you'll do the one you applied to first.

The US Programme > Summer schools though :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending