Borderline Personality Disorder Watch

CSims02
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi All,
I'm currently writing an EPQ on the stereotypical perception of BPD sufferers and the prejudice recieved from medical professionals, I was hoping to hear the views of anyone else who has experienced this by discussing how this firmly held belief is wrong and/or what you would say to people who believe/hear this.
Last edited by CSims02; 5 months ago
Lostx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by CSims02)
Hi All,
I'm currently writing an EPQ on the stereotypical perception of BPD sufferers being dangerous, I was hoping to hear the views of anyone else who has experienced this by discussing how this firmly held belief is wrong and/or what you would say to people who believe/hear this.
I have BPD and I don’t consider myself a danger, in fact I am more of a danger to myself. However the voices have told me to kill others :/

If you need anymore info just quote me.
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
I have never been a danger to others. Only myself. I don’t have the diagnosis anymore as I’ve been well for over 2 years. However I still have discriminatory GP’s who quote my illness as an explanation to everything. Apparently my now diagnosed coeliac disease was all because of my BPD. In my experience you get the diagnosis and are treated like sh*t both by physical health and mental health teams. Was so relieved to get rid of the diagnosis. I know this doesn’t answer your dangerous question but in my opinion the way people are treated who have the diagnosis is dangerous.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Like eveyrone else has said I've never been dangerous to anyone except myself. I've also never had anyone say I was a danger so I'm not entirely sure where you have got that stereotype from, there are many stereotypes for bpd and afaik that isn't a major one. Most of the stereotypes are that we are manipulative, needy and attention seeking.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)
I have BPD and I don’t consider myself a danger, in fact I am more of a danger to myself. However the voices have told me to kill others :/

If you need anymore info just quote me.
Voices aren't usually a part of bpd though that is probably your schizophrenia?
Just don't want to confuse the OP
BlueZebra
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Taken from the nhs page about bpd:
"brief episodes of strange experiences – such as hearing voices outside your head for minutes at a time. These may often feel like instructions to harm yourself or others. You may or may not be certain whether these are real

prolonged episodes of abnormal experiences – where you might experience both hallucinations (voices outside your head) and distressing beliefs that no one can talk you out of (such as believing your family are secretly trying to kill you)"
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
Schizophrenia is not the only illness that has you hearing voices. Hearing voices and seeing things is very common in BPD. You can also get this when suffering from PTSD, schizo-affective disorder, extreme stress, post-natal psychosis and sometimes in post-natal depression, depression, anxiety, OCD, other personality disorders, bipolar, and in eating disorders to name a few.
Just because someone hears voices/sees things doesn’t mean they have schizophrenia.
Last edited by BurstingBubbles; 5 months ago
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by CSims02)
Hi All,
I'm currently writing an EPQ on the stereotypical perception of BPD sufferers and the prejudice recieved from medical professionals, I was hoping to hear the views of anyone else who has experienced this by discussing how this firmly held belief is wrong and/or what you would say to people who believe/hear this.
I see you've edited your OP, but I've worked with people with BPD and I have never come across the stereotype of "dangerous" from health professionals. They are often labelled as challenging but I wouldn't say dangerous.

A lot of people with this diagnosis can be very challenging and difficult to manage so I do see where the stereotype comes from. And you do approach them differently - not necessarily in a prejudiced way but you do expect them to have stronger reactions, and that they may have a difficult time during periods of change and so on. It is isn't the diagnosis itself that leads to prejudice - it's how some people with the diagnosis act/react, and tbh you will sometimes see people before you read they notes and you can guess that they have a personality disorder before you know they've been diagnosed.

They can be, but they are different to hallucinations that people with psychotic illnesses get.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Schizophrenia is not the only illness that has you hearing voices. Hearing voices and seeing things is very common in BPD. You can also get this when suffering from PTSD, schizo-affective disorder, extreme stress, post-natal psychosis and sometimes in post-natal depression, depression, anxiety, OCD, other personality disorders, bipolar, and in eating disorders to name a few.
Just because someone hears voices/sees things doesn’t mean they have schizophrenia.
The user in question have said they have schizophrenia in other posts
I have BPD myself and know what it's like.
Last edited by BurstingBubbles; 5 months ago
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Moderation note: please be friendly and constructive with posts, especially when users may be vulnerable. Thanks! Any questions about moderation, please post in Ask the Community Staff
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by BlueZebra)
Taken from the nhs page about bpd:
"brief episodes of strange experiences – such as hearing voices outside your head for minutes at a time. These may often feel like instructions to harm yourself or others. You may or may not be certain whether these are real

prolonged episodes of abnormal experiences – where you might experience both hallucinations (voices outside your head) and distressing beliefs that no one can talk you out of (such as believing your family are secretly trying to kill you)"
I have looked on the NHS website multiple times.
My point was that the user in question has schizophrenia and has before said they know little about their BPD diagnosis and schizophrenia affects them more. Hearing things is not one of the 9 criteria of diagnosis and isn't a massive part of BPD like it is with other fully psychotic conditions. I didn't want the OP into being confused as this is a common misconception that people have , that we all hear voices.
When under stress and in general people with BPD can have psychotic episodes but lostx themselves have said in other threads that schizophrenia voices and hypnagogic hallucinations etc (something that I experience) feel very different.

-------
Good luck with your EPQ OP, after the insults thrown at me I no longer feel like contributing to your research , sorry about that.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
I have looked on the NHS website multiple times.
My point was that the user in question has schizophrenia and has before said they know little about their BPD diagnosis and schizophrenia affects them more. Hearing things is not one of the 9 criteria of diagnosis and isn't a massive part of BPD like it is with other fully psychotic conditions. I didn't want the OP into being confused as this is a common misconception that people have , that we all hear voices.
When under stress and in general people with BPD can have psychotic episodes but lostx themselves have said in other threads that schizophrenia voices and hypnagogic hallucinations etc (something that I experience) feel very different.

-------
Good luck with your EPQ OP, after the insults thrown at me I no longer feel like contributing to your research , sorry about that.
Hearing voices is not one of the criteria for BPD but a lot of patients with BPD to hear them - I would say at least half of the people I've worked have had them. They are different to the voices people with psychotic illness have (from a diagnostic point of view) but they can still be incredibly troublesome and upsetting for patients. I do see your point about Lostx having schizophrenia as a confounding factor but it would be wrong to disregard them as a symptom of BPD because they can be and are a common thing (just as people without mental health problems can get hypnogogic hallucinations)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (498)
59.71%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.16%
No- I want it (237)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.71%

Watched Threads