hkgbknhl
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it possible to get Loan for pilot training course in uni and is good idea to do a degree with pilot training plus any tips becoming a pilot
Aayush :)
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hkgbknhl)
Is it possible to get Loan for pilot training course in uni and is good idea to do a degree with pilot training plus any tips becoming a pilot
There are professional development loans. Have you looked at actual flight training schools ?
Surnia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which service do you want to join as a pilot?

If you have interest in the RAF, you could join a UAS during your degree. However, you don't need any prior flying training to be a pilot in the Armed Forces; they will teach you everything and don't want to be having to get you out of any bad habits you have from any lessons. Better off spending time at uni developing your leadership potential.
hkgbknhl
Rep:
?
I did but it's too expensive and is it possible to have loan which works like student loan (like normal loan you get from uni)
hkgbknhl
Rep:
?
I want become a commercial pilot, my sister said it's best do it from RAF and then join from there but I don't know how RAF works and how long service will last, also might not fit for it
Surnia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I want become a commercial pilot, my sister said it's best do it from RAF and then join from there but I don't know how RAF works and how long service will last, also might not fit for it
You might get streamed to be a helicopter pilot in the RAF, not much good if you want to fly airliners!

Yes, people do go on from the RAF to become commercial pilots, but it's not a guaranteed way of doing it and not the reason they join up because, as you say, there are too many uncertainties, and it's not the way to go if you're not committed to the military lifestyle in the first place.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your sister is telling porkies. That's not true
BusyMan123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you have the sole intention of becoming an airline pilot, going into the RAF to do so is, in my opinion, a very poor decision.

Please bear in mind, that the RAF require you to stay within the force for a MINIMUM of 6-12 years before you are able to leave; if you really want to become an airline pilot, I can't understand why people join the RAF just to end up leaving for a completely different goal.

Yes, being the RAF may help you when it comes to applications for airlines and flight schools - BUT, this is not guarenteed at all and a person who has never even touched the RAF has an equally good chance of getting into a school/airline.

Please think long and hard before joining the RAF just to become an airline pilot, in my opinion, unless you have another passion for air force helicopters or fighters, this can end-up being a poor decision.
TempoTommy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Plus given how hard it is to get in to the RAF full stop at the moment, you have to be passionate and willing to give up a year applying to get your foot in the door, then the real hard work starts.If you want to go commercial, do that, there are plenty of scholarships and grants out there. I have a friend who just got a Finnair scholarship so I could always ask him some questions for you.
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Airlines as a general rule aren’t falling over themselves to have military pilots flying their aircraft. In the military you spend you whole career training to be an independent and trustworthy decision-maker and are relied-upon to do what is required to achieve the mission without supervision. The airlines are the complete opposite and want you to follow the foot-thick SOP and not think for yourself as in the commercial environment this is statistically safer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
68.24%
No I haven't decided yet (27)
18.24%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.51%

Watched Threads