Just keep swimming Watch

keep_drowning
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Weekend Update:

There may be a fair portion of the weekend left but I figured I'd update now rather than at 10 tonight when I'm in the middle of a Netflix spiral

• Sleep has not been done as much as I would like, but I'm finally not naturally waking up at 9am so life is better
  • Almost finished the Math chapter I was meant to do over the summer (Turns out it's binomials - thank the lord it wasn't integration)
  • Basically finished UCAS - I need to ask college about predicted grades and my personal statement which I wrote over the summer. After that I'm basically good to go minus two course choices
  • Contemplated existence: Don't I always
    Now all that's really left is to start schizophrenia and finish binomials - It's been an oddly productive weekend Goals for this week:
  • Go to every single lesson. Yes. Including my two 9ams.
  • Book a GP appointment
  • Get Personal Statement checked + Find out Predicted Grades

And that is that!
(Hope everyone's had a decent weekend!)
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Week 1, Day 1: It's been a long day (without you my friend)..

Today was long.
I woke up naturally at 7 - but after falling asleep fairly late (No! I wasn't on my phone!) I was pretty exhausted.
My first lesson was Biology (with one of my favourite teachers ) After the lesson I asked about predicted grades and he said he'll predict me an A* - He said if it was possible to get an A* at AS my mark would have been high enough - so I just have to work - so I'm glad I got that sorted.
I then spent the entirety of lunch talking to a girl from my Psychology class which was nice, we caught up with each other and tried to spy cute people (please don't judge me ).
Then I had Maths - it went too slow. None of the content was new and the teacher got a bit pissy at me for no reason and it just wasn't a great lesson overall.
Last I had psychology. Our class was tiny! (By tiny I mean 10 people) A few people will probably be moved into our class, but it was nice having such a small class for a change. I couldn't really sit still by the time we got to Psychology and I ended up standing up behind my chair and sitting on the windowsill during various parts of the lesson.

I got home just after 6, had a snack and then started filing and doing my maths (currently 2/3 of the way through).
I've got a hospital appointment tomorrow so all I really have is half an hour of Biology till I need to leave so hopefully it will be a fairly decent day and I can catch up on some sleep
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hope everything is well and the hospital doesn't tell you anything bad :hugs:
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Week 1, Day 2:

Yesterday was fairly non existent. I went in for half an hour of biology and then went to my appointment which itself went fine, but as a whole is pretty frustrating at the moment as everything being suggested is completely useless.

Day 3:
Started off bright and early (7am - too early )
My first lesson was tutorial which was pretty boring - basically just people filling in UCAS applications, but I have now emailed my personal statement to my tutor, so as soon as I get the all clear, I can apply!
Then there was lunch - got some really great hummus from the cafeteria which is always great
And then Psychology which was long and slow. We started talking about gender and cultural bias and then had a mini test at the end of the lesson.
I got home, wrote up my psychology notes, started polar co-ordinates (which is what we're going to be starting tomorrow in Further Maths - And I'm really enjoying them so far!!!) and now I'm here.

I spoke to the head of maths this morning, and she said I could swap maths classes which is great - it means I won't have to full 9-5 days in a row which would be the death of me
I'm now going into a class where I know maybe a couple of people at most - so it's going to be weird.

Also ended up picking up some sleeping meds from Boots on my way back from college because my sleep's been absolutely awful the past month or so. Hopefully tonight I'll get a good sleep and tomorrow i'll actually be able to concentrate on a full day of lessons!

Hope everyone's been having a great week so far!
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Week 1, Day 4:

Had a very early start I took Nytol the night before, it didn't work so I took another, and eventually I fell asleep.
Further Maths was fun, we started polar co-ordinates which I think are really awesome (and very like modulus argument form!). Then I had Maths in the new class which was nice but very full, followed by Biology where we started learning about respiration and the ATP cycle and then I went home and got my homework done.
A friend gave me some melatonin so I tried it out but it massively failed and I ended up waking up at 4am. It took another hour before I fell back to sleep.

Day 5:

Finally Friday!
Another 9am start and the lesson was pretty pointless. I got into a disagreement with the teacher about something she said and we spent a good 15 minutes discussing it (It was unresolved till I asked the head of Maths. I was right .)
Next I had Psychology where we started learning about addiction which seems quite interesting.
After lunch I had a free where I helped a friend out with Thursday's further maths work because the teacher wrongly assumed we had all covered some of A2 Trig which was needed.
And then we had our second Further Maths lesson of the week which was decision. We started transportation problems - the process is quite long which made it confusing, but it isn't particularly difficult which is always good.

The weekend:
I had to go to out-of-hours because I had really bad tooth ache last night (chipped a tooth November 2018 and still waiting for it to be removed ). They gave me codeine, but it ended up being a bit of a late night.

This morning I got some work done before going to an emergency dentist. I got antibiotics and a root canal done so I won't feel any pain until I finally get it removed. The extraction has to be done at least under sedation and I'm really quite nervous about it.
Still can't feel my face , but when I finally can I will go back to doing school work.
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
QUICK BREAKFAST UPDATE:

I just got my Psychology remark back today and I got an A
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Well done with the remark! :woo:
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Well done with the remark! :woo:
Thank you
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Week Two: We're really getting started now

I've been so busy this week! It seems crazy how fast the week has gone!
It's been a bit of a weird one though.
Tuesday I got into an awesome discussion with my Biology teacher about one of Dawkins' ideas which left me smiling for the rest of the day.
Wednesday (as mentioned) I got my psychology remark back as soon as I woke up and it went up to an A which was also lovely.
Yesterday wasn't as great, I was very tired and found it harder than usual to understand what we were doing in Further Maths even though we have previously done a relatively similar topic (but me and geometry never did go well together). After school I went to a friend's party - I didn't initially want to go, but my friend from Manchester came down for it and I had already told her that I would go - but I did enjoy it! And I got to see some people I hadn't spoken to for years which was really lovely
This morning I woke up too early Killed some time lying in bed, and then got up and went in early with the intention of meeting with my Biology teacher to go over the Biology-specific content from my personal statement. But I couldn't find him anywhere! I then looked for him during lunch, but yet again he was gone and then when I finished class for the day, he was teaching - so I guess we'll have to meet at some point next week.
I was meant to have my last hospital appointment for a few months today, but she was ill and had to cancel. I was meant to miss my last lesson (Further Maths - Decision) but then had to go and get overly confused for 90 minutes.
I'm really struggling with my focus at the moment and I know it's because I'm overly tired, but when I can't fall asleep, or I wake up early - I can't control it and it's so frustrating.
My form tutor handed my personal statement back with a few corrections (and a note to cut down on my massive paragraphs of bio) and we had a few disagreements about it :rolleyes: (As much as I love her as a person, after correcting her for a good portion of last year (and a few times this year) I struggle to respect her professional opinion - which makes me feel bad - but **shrugs**). As soon as I've gone over it with my Biology teacher, I can send it off! The deadline is in 25 days and I'm freaking out so much!!!

Plans for the weekend:

• Mix Nytol and melatonin tonight (see if the combination is good for sleep)
  • Get some work done tomorrow
  • Sunday, in theory I'm seeing a friend and we're both going to sit and do school work in a coffee shop
  • Binge-watch season 2 of Elite (I really recommend Season 1 - It was great)

Hope everyone's had a good week and a lovely weekend!
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You've got this! :dumbells:
Don't feel bad for disagreeing with your bio teacher :nah: Much as they would like to tell us they do, teachers don't know everything and besides, it's your PS :yes:
I don't think you're meant to be mixing drugs at all...
Hope your weekend's going well so far
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
You've got this! :dumbells:
Don't feel bad for disagreeing with your bio teacher :nah: Much as they would like to tell us they do, teachers don't know everything and besides, it's your PS :yes:
I don't think you're meant to be mixing drugs at all...
Hope your weekend's going well so far
My form tutor is one of my maths/FM tutors - I would never disagree with my biology teacher - he's my idol 😂

I ended up not mixing, but I think I should probably reduce the amount of nytol I'm taking because last night I was hearing voices.

When does uni start for you?
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by keep_drowning)
My form tutor is one of my maths/FM tutors - I would never disagree with my biology teacher - he's my idol 😂

I ended up not mixing, but I think I should probably reduce the amount of nytol I'm taking because last night I was hearing voices.

When does uni start for you?
Oops, misread your paragraph But I stick with my statement :yes:
Pheww... mixing meds could bring some weird side effects so it's best to just stick to one
Freshers week starts on the 30th, but lectures officially start on the 7th :thumbsup:
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Quick update whilst I lie in bed:

Had a very productive weekend which was nice. On Sunday me and a friend went to Starbucks to do our respective school work and I had a frappe for the first time ever which was really nice (but so sweet!!)

Today (Monday) was a mixed day. I got 100% in a Maths end of chapter test we did last week which was nice.
In Biology I started looking at antibiotics which was really interesting!
Me and my bio teacher finally met and he said he'll hand me my personal statement back tomorrow afternoon.
He thinks a lot better of me than I do myself which is nice but just feels weird because I feel like I know me pretty well.
I tried to help my friends with their Maths homework at lunch which one of them hadn't even started and it was so stressful 🤪

Psychology was a complete bore. I'm not the only one who's feeling this way (literally the entire class) but there must be a way to make the content more interesting. Concentration levels have improved in general, just not for Psychology which is making life really difficult.

When I got home, I showered, changed into my new dinosaur print pjs 😊😊😊, had a snack and then did about 3 hours of work with a break for dinner.
I feel like I have so much work to do! It's insane.

I've rescheduled my cancelled appointment for Friday morning - so beforehand I need to write some notes about what I would find helpful.

I've taken a melatonin an now i'm just waiting for it to kick in. But I'm so so tired.
(Edit: 9:35 on Tuesday - The melatonin was absolutely useless last night Woken up feeling super anxious (which happens when I'm super tired) and it's like Noah's Flood is happening all over again outside and motivation to go in to college is minimal)

Hope people have had a good start to the week
Last edited by keep_drowning; 4 months ago
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Well done with maths! :woo:
Hope everything is okay and that you have a good week too :hugs:
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Week 4, Day 2 (We're half way through half term!)

Been a bit of a while since I last updated

Last week was pretty bad. I was super stressed about my personal statement, and ended up not getting much sleep on Tuesday which impacted me on Wednesday and Thursday in class and I was feeling super overwhelmed.
My appointment on Friday then went terribly, and I was meant to do a presentation in class, but refused to and that was that.

This week has started off a lot better.

Actually, arguably better.
Yesterday was actually fairly decent, though I was super tired, until my psychology teacher recommended I take a couple of minutes outside, which I ended up doing, and then the rest of the lesson went a lot better.
Today was nice - Biology was very fun as always and then I stayed and worked for 3 hours after school.

I'm just waiting for my teachers to add my references, and then my UCAS application can go off!

Hope everyone had a great weekend, and a good start to the week!
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Week 5, Day 2 - Only a week and a half till half term!

Last week actually went really well (not that I can remember most of it ).

I had a bit of a disagreement with my maths/further maths teacher last week (but not the one who is bae) because I was in a lot of pain and wanted to go to the doctor, but she said I couldn't because I didn't know everything we'd be covering in the maths lesson.
The maths lesson came and she wouldn't let me participate because she assumed I'd already learnt all the content properly (I mean I had, but I taught it myself). She always asks the retake students questions in class - even though most of them have Bs and Cs in A Level Maths already.

On Friday I ended up talking to her, and letting out a lot of my frustration and communication is key kids - so now she'll actually let me participate in class which is great.
She also told me that I can't drop Further Maths - which is hilarious because I never wanted to in the first place - she just said I can't do 4 A Levels and an EPQ - But that's all sorted out now.

The weekend was nice - I had a couple of family things I had to go to/wanted to go to, and the rest of the time I spent doing school work, but I didn't feel overwhelmed or rush.

And now we're on week 5!

Yesterday I had Maths, Biology and Psychology. Maths we continued with differentiation, Biology with immunology and pathogens and Psychology with schizophrenia.
In Psychology we also got back a short essay we did last week and I got 8/8 which was nice because essays have never been my strong point.

I was meant to see a friend after school today, but she wasn't feeling great so I went to Ryman's to get some more paper, Boots to get some more nytol (had a great discussion with the pharmacy about dependency and how I should go to the GP for sleep medication) and then went to the LRC to get some work done.

This week will probably be pretty uneventful - UCAS should hopefully be sent on by Friday (if it isn't I'm going to be really annoyed - I've been waiting for weeks!). I have a biospsychology test tomorrow, a further maths test on polar co-ordinates on Thursday and a Biology test on respiration and I really need to get some revision done.

My aim for tonight is to take it easy. I'm exhausted even though I slept for 9 hours (thank you nytol) but I'll probably try and cover some respiration.

Hope everyone's having a great week and hasn't been completely drowned by the rain yet!
Last edited by keep_drowning; 4 months ago
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Week 5, Day 6

The rest of my week went really quite well.
Wednesday I had a big attack of insomnia and didn't fall asleep till 4am Thursday morning which meant I had a full day of college on only 3 hours of sleep which I don't want to repeat.
I got a Biology test (AS content) back on Thursday and got 93% in which I was really happy with, and a short Maths test that I got 100% in.
I also finally got my UCAS application sent off on Thursday morning and thus far have acknowledgements from Oxford (university but not college specific), Lancaster and Sheffield.
Thursday I was standing at the bus stop and couldn't stop sniffing and low and behold I've developed a cold - still feeling quite grotty and so so tired, but hopefully by next Wednesday I should be feeling a lot better.
Psychology on Friday was great fun (the content is boring, the class is great) which involved me being called a troll by my teacher.

And now we're at Saturday.
I woke up at 10:45 (I kept waking up in the night though, even though I had doubled up on Nytol). After breakfast I wrote a checklist and started homework. I went to Costa at 5pm to get out of the house and did some more classwork (started higher derivatives for the Further Maths chapter on series before realising I haven't taught myself implicit differentiation yet which will probably be my goal for tomorrow).

I was meant to go to Southampton today with a friend for the open day, but we both ended up ill, so that plan got cancelled - and probably for the best considering the weather today.

Someone asked me today how I'm finding A Levels, and I honestly never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually loving it.
This time two years ago I had just been admitted to a psychiatric unit for what was going to become a 4 month admission, and seeing how far I've come - from absolutely hating A Levels to finding them enjoyable, even though my mental health is still pretty bad, has been incredible.

And that is that I guess, for my weekend update.
Next week I have two short maths tests, but that is it - I've had 10 tests over the past two weeks of school which has been ridiculous, so two is definitely manageable.
Wednesday is progress review day at college - we go in for a 15 minute appointment, write some targets and then go home - my mum has an early half term so she's off then as well and we might go into town to get vegan pizza which I'm quite excited for.
Then Friday brings the start of half term!
This half term has gone so fast! (Though it's only been 6 weeks) and exams start in 7 months which is crazy and quite scary - but I'll try not to worry about them till they come.

Hope everyone's had a great week and those who have started uni are having a good (and hopefully not too stressful) time!
troubletracking
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
well done for getting through it!!x
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
(Original post by troubletracking)
well done for getting through it!!x
😊

Hope things are going okay (and not too stressful) for you!
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Week 6 - Day 2 - UCAS Update 1!!!

As of now, I've had acknowledgements from all the universities I'm applying to (Durham, Sheffield, Oxford and Lancaster) and this evening I got a lovely surprise - an offer from Glasgow for Genetics (ABB including Biology)!

Definitely the highlight of my day - I'm still sick (though it's definitely just a cold) and as a result, I'm exhausted - I went in on time today and after my first lesson I felt so horrible that I went home and spent the afternoon in bed.
Tomorrow is progress review day - so my day will be:
-Wake up at 9, go in to college for 11
- Leave college by 12
- Potentially get lunch with my mum if she remembers and I'm not too tired
- Lots of EPQ work and CPAC catch up to do!
- SLEEP

Hope everyone's had a wonderful start to the week (and no ones got this dratted cold)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (195)
67.71%
No (93)
32.29%

Watched Threads