Just keep swimming Watch

generaldecay03
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by keep_drowning)
Aww 😊

Gyg stands for Grow Yours Grades (the forum that these sorts of blogs tend to fall in to here on TSR)
ohhh ok! thanks for the clarification i was kinda confused
keep_drowning
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Week 9 - Day 7 UCAS Update 5

The week has actually sped by (no thanks to the glorious insomia that has been a big pain recently). On Tuesday I had a big Maths test - I left at least 20 minutes before anyone else, and I'm really not expecting much because I was completely out of it.
Wednesday we had a timed 16 mark essay in Psychology (every other lesson, it seems now) which I didn't end up finishing in time.
Thursday we started hyperbolic functions in Further Maths and I got into an argument with my teacher who (probably was very tired) but tried to say that sin^-1(x) = cosec(x) and I was just :dontknow: and went on a bit of a rant about why mathematical notation is so bad (fuelled by Richard feynmann who is still my favourite physicist from the time I wanted to do Physics at uni). In Biology we did a practical to investigate the different photosynthetic pigments in spinach leaves - which like every practical, fails just a tad.
On Friday in Psychology we got split in to pairs to produce presentations on treatments for addiction. And then UCAS Update 5 happened.

UCAS Update 5
Kids - I got rejected from Oxford pre-interview.
Honestly, I was expecting it - My GCSEs are "sub" Oxford standard (though the other rejections I know of had much better GCSE (and A Level predicted) grades than me) and my personal statement probably wasn't as good as it should have been.
I was quite disappointed (I'd be lying if I said I wasn't) but it's completely okay now. I know that if I get the grades, I'll end up at a uni I like equally as much (please can I get a Durham offer) and probably get a course that I like more - I was applying to Oxford more for the city and the collegiate system more than anything - the course was nice, but I definitely prefer the course more at every other uni I've applied to.
I told a friend, we shared a moment of disappointment, and then I went to do some more Further Maths during Lunch.

- - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - -- - - - -- - - -- - - -- - - - -
Back to my week

I got a bit eggy with people at lunch - someone made a comment along the lines of "why are you going to maths workshop, you don't need help" and then my (bae) maths teacher who wasn't running the workshop session told a Year 12 to ask me if she needed any help.
In Further Maths 2 (Decision) we were going over Dynamic Programming, which I really love, and that was the end of my school week.

Beginning to feel the start of a new episode of the black dog (Winston Churchill) arrive. I've been quite out of it this week, really tearful, and feeling very lonely. This is why you don't stop taking your antidepressants without consulting a doctor. Yesterday I was feeling absolutely horrible, so I went to the cinema and watched Joker - which I really dislike (because it was a good film - just too many feels).

On Tuesday I've got an assessment appointment at a Wellbeing Hub (which praise the lord is a 10 minute walk from my house)- Hopefully it will be okay and productive and next Tuesday I'm finally getting my chipped tooth out!

Hope everyone had a great week!!
Last edited by keep_drowning; 3 months ago
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
sorry to hear about Oxford:console: rejection always feels rubbish
gosh i hadn't even thought about how confusing arcsin is, it so does look like it should be cosec! notation sucks!
hope this week is better than last week:hugs:
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Toastiekid)
sorry to hear about Oxford:console: rejection always feels rubbish
gosh i hadn't even thought about how confusing arcsin is, it so does look like it should be cosec! notation sucks!
hope this week is better than last week:hugs:
Another example of terrible maths notation is using dy/dx instead of say ∆y/∆x or something similar 🤷🏻🤷🏻why can't we just cancel out the ds 🤷🏻

I love maths notation (to an extent) but there comes a point where it just feels like a new language - and that's when I start having problems with it 😬😬
Last edited by keep_drowning; 2 months ago
Toastiekid
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Another example of terrible maths notation is using dy/dx instead of say ∆y/∆x or something similar 🤷🏻🤷🏻why can't we just cancel out the ds 🤷🏻

I love maths notation (to an extent) but there comes a point where it just feels like a new language - and that's when I start having problems with it 😬😬
Yeah that’s especially confusing with integration by substitution/the chain rule as everyone is like you can’t cancel the dx s even though that’s what looks like is happening:dontknow:
It is very cool when a question is written in loads of notation and you can translate it:woo:
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Yeah that’s especially confusing with integration by substitution/the chain rule as everyone is like you can’t cancel the dx s even though that’s what looks like is happening:dontknow:
It is very cool when a question is written in loads of notation and you can translate it:woo:
Much agreed (And feeling very uneasy about eventually starting integration by substitution 😭)

Definitely very cool - But why regular English doesn't suffice, I do not know
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Week 10: Day 6 - Sleep (please)

This week's been, as usual, fairly uneventful - though I have been getting some more sleep thanks to Nytol.

On Monday we started Rates of Change in Maths, then we did some Genetics in Biology and drug treatments for Schizophrenia in Psychology. In the psychology lesson, every time I tried to speak, I had a massive mind blank and it was super frustrating (it happens a fair amount though) so I'm considering bringing a whiteboard to class (so extra, I know ) so it won't be as much of a problem.
On Tuesday in Maths we finished off rates of change and then I had an appointment after lunch so missed most of Biology.
In September I got referred to my local 'Wellbeing Hub' so I had an assessment appointment there and they basically said they'll try and refer me to services they think will be useful - So I guess I should keep my fingers crossed.
On Wednesday in tutorial we were meant to be focusing on the upcoming elections. My college is supposedly doing a mock election and each tutor group has to pick a political party and produce an artefact on it. Needless to say, I refused to get involve and sat there doing some hyperbolic functions (they're okay - but definitely not as interesting as other parts of Further Maths). Then in Psychology we covered ways of investigating the brain (e.g. fMRI, EEGs, ERPs and Post Mortems) and that was that.
Then Wednesday night I realised I had three assessments the next day (which I had revised for, I just hadn't appreciated they'd all be on the same day). I started freaking out a tad and ended up emailing my Further Maths teacher to tell her I had an appointment and wouldn't be in for the Further Maths lesson.
In Maths on Thursday we did some integration (just manipulating trig functions in order to integrate) and then in Biology we started Mendelian genetics. In the test I made a really stupid mistake and I'm going to lose 5 marks for it and I'm just kicking myself!
Then I was meant to have an EPQ meeting but the two others in my EPQ group had an argument and we spent a good half an hour trying to comfort/calm down one of them.
On Friday in Psychology I did a presentation on drug treatments for nicotine addiction. I got out of the last one because I had an appointment, but I couldn't get out of this presentation and it was so eughhh. Then I got to leave early to talk to an FE Commissioner with a group of people. During lunch, I sat the missed Further Maths test (And it was so difficult ) and then in Further Maths we finished off Dynamic Programming with some ridiculous exam-style questions.

And that has been my week (I don't usually update with that much detail though :dontknow:)
I got 95% in my biggish Maths test I had last week, which I'm very happy with - I should be getting the paper back on Monday though.
Last night (Friday) I went to my uncle's for dinner and I ended up looking through photo albums with my cousin for a good hour or so - some of those photos were incredible.
Today I woke up at 11:20 (which hasn't happened for a long time). I did some Maths (and a tiny bit of Further Maths) and was meant to meet a friend for dinner, but they thought we were meeting tomorrow, so I picked up some things I needed (coffee ) and that has been that.

This week has been a bit of a mess, to be honest. I've been so tired and really frustrated with a lot of people and it's all just been a bit ahh and I'm so excited to break up for Christmas even though I have another 4 weeks of term left.

Well I hope everyone had a good week and has a great weekend!
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Week 11 - Day 4: Just a weird mid-week update

Ookay.
So Monday, as usual, I hardly remember. I got my maths paper back and got to look at my stupid mistakes. In Biology we learnt about acetylation of histones and did some genetics work and we completed drug treatment for schizophrenia in Psychology.
On Tuesday, I finally got my tooth taken out - It's been just over a year since I chipped it and I've had countless numbers of infections and general tooth pains - so I'm so glad it's finally out.
Yesterday was an inset day. I did some integration in the morning and then got a coffee with a friend in the afternoon which was nice.
Today was a good ol' long 9-5 day. I got my Further Maths test back - I got 94% so I'm really happy because I didn't find it easy.
In Maths we did integration using partial fractions which was fine. In Biology we got our biology tests back from last week and I didn't end up getting penalised for the stupid mistake (thank the biology gods :dancing2: :dancing2:) and so I only ended up dropping 1 mark - so was very happy again.
Then I had a short break, followed by EPQ where we sat and discussed everything that isn't EPQ.
It took a ridiculous amount of time to get home (almost 2 hours) because the bus I was meant to get on was involved in an accident about 3 minutes up the road, so we had a massive wait for the next bus, followed by 2x amount of people at rush hour trying to fit on a tiny single-decker bus. Twas not fun.
Also have been in a fair bit of a pain today from the tooth (or lack there of) so I'm hoping by next week it's stopped aching because progress assessments (think of them as mock mock mocks) start.
Tomorrow I have Psychology, followed by Further Maths and in Further Maths we're going to start solving second order recurrence relations, so I'm very excited.
In the evening I'm meant to be going to my uncle's for dinner (again) because my aunt from abroad is visiting, so it'll be a nice (and probably quite loud evening).
The weekend looks like it's just going to be sleep and procrastination and revision - much fun.
Hope people have had a good week so far!
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Week 12 - Day 6

It feels like it's been a while, though it's only been 1.5 weeks.

This week was pretty dull tbh, so I'll try and keep this kinda short.

On Monday I had a very very slow morning and ended up missing my first two lessons, so I only went in for Psychology.
I spent Tuesday dying - everything hurt everywhere and I had a cough - but I wasn't actually sick :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow: So no idea what was going on there. In Maths we did some integration revision (finally beginning to enjoy it!) followed by an introduction to genetic engineering in Biology which was pretty interesting.
On Wednesday during form we were meant to be finishing off our political artefact thing. I spent it doing some good ol' Biology and then we had mock elections. I did vote But spoiled the ballot, as one should do in school mock elections In Psychology we looked at circadian rhythms which was really interesting! Also I baked brownies on Tuesday night and gave them out on Wednesday and everyone loved them (and were completely shocked that they were vegan!)
On Thursday I was actually sick. I woke up feeling absolutely sick and dizzy and my stomach and back were cramping like mad. Once it had subsided, I did a fair bit of work - but that was that really.
Yesterday we did psychological therapies for addiction in Psychology and then recurrence relations in Decision. The entire day was a brain fart and I couldn't remember modulus argument form for complex numbers and it was just a mess:woo::woo::woo::woo::woo::woo:

(See - Very dull!)
I'm very excited for Christmas to come. Just the thought of sleeping (and revising) my days away sounds absolutely perfect right now
Toastiekid
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i love brownies:gah: now i want to make brownies!
i hope you're feeling better now
not long to go till christmas:excited: have you got an advent calendar?
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
i love brownies:gah: now i want to make brownies!
i hope you're feeling better now
not long to go till christmas:excited: have you got an advent calendar?
(Make brownies!!)
I've actually never had an advent calendar (:nothing:) What about you?
Toastiekid
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Make brownies!!)
I've actually never had an advent calendar (:nothing:) What about you?
(i might this weekend!)
it's a random one with whatever chocolate my parents santa finds (i have younger siblings aha)
hope you're doing well:hugs:
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
(i might this weekend!)
it's a random one with whatever chocolate my parents santa finds (i have younger siblings aha)
hope you're doing well:hugs:
(Did you end up making brownies?)
Aw - Is it a good advent calendar?
You too!
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Week 13 - Day 6: We're nearly almost there

Woahh - so this week's felt really long, but also like it's gone so fast! - The amount of tiredness I'm feeling right now is absurd!

Monday I had my Big Scary Biology test which I flopped (Talking about DNA helicase in Protein Synthesis?!) - I'll be getting the paper back tomorrow but I don't have high hopes . In Maths we did trapezium rule - Back in the day it was in C2 (So AS content) and I have absolutely no idea why its been moved to second year. In Psychology we got the AS paper we sat in May and were told how many marks we got in each question in one of the sections and then went over it as a class.
Tuesday I don't remember in the slightest :dontknow:
Wednesday we had a very boring form time where I did some hyperbolic functions, and then in Psychology we covered internal pacemakers and external zeitgebers (such an odd word) which was quite interesting.
Wednesday night I made lemon cupcakes, whilst procrastinating my life away.
Thursday we finished off hyperbolic functions in class (I'm going to need to do so much practise over the winter break :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:. In Maths we probably did some more integration :dontknow: and then in Biology we did dihybrid inheritance and a lot of genetic crosses. I kept questioning everything my teacher was doing and I'm pretty sure she was quite fed up of me by the end of class (oops).
I skipped my first lesson on Friday (Psychology) to visit my Grandma in hospital - But apparently only half the class turned up anyway, so they played Christmas games and I missed zilch. In Further Maths we finished off recurrence relations which I love and am obsessed with and wish life was just full of because they're the best part of decision Maths!!!

And that was the end of the school week!

On Friday evening I went to my uncle and aunt's for dinner which was absolutely lovely as always. Yesterday (Saturday) I went in to town with a friend to visit some markets (Spoiler: All the London Christmas markets are terrible and basically just massive tourist attractions). Today I had an interview for a Camp America type program for the summer which went okay - i really hope I end up with a camp placement because it sounds like it could be a really cool experience. My interviewers were in my year at secondary school and it was nice catching up with them and hearing about their experiences. When I eventually got back (my bus just didn't turn up for a long time) I made some German almond crescent biscuits which my mum said were really good (she often doesn't like my "unhealthier" bakes) and I guess I'll be taking in tomorrow for friends.

Ehhh - That was a very very boring update (but boring kinda sums up my life currently so :dontknow:)

I think I'm doing fairly good at the moment (aside from those random moments when I just burst in to tears over nothing ) which feels like a weird thing to say, but I'm actually feeling good and content with life (well and quite burnt out but we can't have it all).

Hope people have had a good week, a great weekend and if you've already broken up for the winter, a great vacation**

**My old form tutor always referred to the holiday between terms as vacation as we're not meant to stop working smh. Classic Beardy.
Toastiekid
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Did you end up making brownies?)
Aw - Is it a good advent calendar?
You too!
Nope- I made gingerbread people instead
Yep
Ewww protein synthesis, I remember really disliking it when we did it at gcse
Lemon cupcakes:gah:
Agree about the Christmas markets; they’re so expensive
Glad you’re feeling good:hugs:
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Not a clue what number day it is - Let's just go with the date (28/12/2019): Oops - It's been a long while

Ahhh. I've hardly been online the past couple of weeks and I suddenly log on and have too many notifications and ahhh :dontknow:

But it's okay.

Ookay. Not-so-speedy update.

The last week of term was a half week. On Monday I got my Biology test back and was dissapointed - but I knew that would happen. I got 66% (If I remember correctly) which was one of the higher marks in the year, but I'd have liked at least 70 - but so be it. I know I need to put a lot of practise into A Level specific questions (seems to be a lot more on validity and reliability). I reminded myself that I got a similar mark in the equivalent test last year and I ended up doing great in the real exam - so hopefully that'll be the case this year if I keep working consistently.
Don't really remember what happened on Tuesday but I baked chocolate cookies.
On Wednesday I had a brief meeting with my form tutor who said she was really proud of me (lmao) and I don't know if she didn't see my attendance or just ignored it because it's been slowly dropping a bit (but definitely not as much as last year).
In Psychology, we were meant to be doing presentations, but the teacher forgot and we got to leave after half an hour (Which really annoyed me because I put effort into the presentation and ).
On the way home, I was contemplating visiting my Grandma in hospital, but in the end I really needed the bathroom so went straight home and got distracted. And then everything kind of went downhill from there.
At about 19:15, my mum got a call and my grandma had died. I spent my evening in the hospital, and on my way home I bumped into my dad in the supermarket (at like 11pm) and he gave me a lift home.
Thursday was my grandma's funeral - I was meant to have a Further Maths lesson on complex numbers, but couldn't go. I did tidy up my room though (after far too long)
Friday I spent my day doing chores for my mum and then in the evening, I had a reunion thing from the trip I went on in the summer and it was really lovely catching up with everyone (and eating a tonne of hummus :love:.:love::love::love:. A friend from Brighton stayed the night and on Saturday we had a reunion lunch. I then went to catch up with some friends from primary school who I hadn't seen for a while, and then went in to London as the reunion people were going out, though I didn't stay for long.
On Sunday I went for a long(ish) walk with the Brighton friend, and then we met up for the last time with the reunion crew and got falafel :love::love::love: (Okay I'm obsessed with my middle-eastern food). And that was my weekend really :dontknow:.

This week I've not done much. Got a bit of work done, tried to apply for a trillion jobs because I'm a broke child and mainly done a lot of sleeping (thanks to Nytol). On Wednesday we went to my cousins to light Hannukah candles and my other cousin and her husband and his sister where there. He and his sister are ex-mormons which is pretty cool, and it was nice catching up with everyone and watch everyone playing dreidles.
On Thursday I woke up with a sore throat (and have since developed a cold) and saw a friend in the morning before she was going back to Manchester, Friday I did nothing and today I went to family friends for lunch and then went on another long(ish) walk and that's that

I really haven't done enough work at all, but hopefully I'll get some more done this week :oops:

Hope everyone's had a great break so far (and hopefully a lot more productive than mine!)
Last edited by keep_drowning; 1 month ago
Toastiekid
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
sorry to hear about your grandma, hope you're doing okay:console:
hummus and falafel:love:
hope you get your work done soon, i've not started mine yet
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
sorry to hear about your grandma:grouphugs:
hope you feel better soon :heart:
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
sorry to hear about your grandma, hope you're doing okay:console:
hummus and falafel:love:
hope you get your work done soon, i've not started mine yet
Thank you
Eh I guess it'll all get done at some point (even if some point is the Sunday before I go back :dontknow:)
Hope your holiday's been going well!
keep_drowning
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
sorry to hear about your grandma:grouphugs:
hope you feel better soon :heart:
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (195)
67.71%
No (93)
32.29%

Watched Threads