GCSEs: A Subject-by-subject Guide from Someone Who Got Ten 9s Watch

Incede
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SharonV112)
Hi omg, you are such a lifesaver I feel a little bit prepared for revision. thanks to you!! can you send me your revision notes you used on Quizlet
Please XXXXX
Hey, i only used quizlet for French and i made my own set half way through the year for words i struggled to remember which i have unfortunately deleted now . But here's a full list of all the vocab in AQA French if that's what you're doing: (https://quizlet.com/gb/391452149/all...y-flash-cards/). If you're doing another language/exam board I can try and find a set for you
LadySophia22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi. Thanks for your amazing guide. I've already bookmarked it to make sure I never lose it. A quick question though, I've heard from other previous Yr11s that I should use Seneca. But I don't really know if it's better than cgp. Have you used it before?
Incede
Rep:
?
(Original post by honeybunnies)
This is so helpful! I’ve just started year 10 and I’ve got bad teachers in English and physics How should I deal with this, especially considering that I won’t have sufficient analysis for English Literature?
I also had a bad English teacher. You really just have to put in the hours outside of school to make sure you're not missing out anything. You've probably heard to use Mr Bruff, I personally never watched his videos but they may be useful to you. Try reading exemplar essays online for English and reciprocate the techniques they use then you could try writing practice essays and get a different/better teacher to mark it.
For physics you can just self learn the equations and the content at home using a textbook and the specification to make your own notes so that you can learn everything you need in the course.
Good luck!
Incede
Rep:
?
(Original post by LadySophia22)
Hi. Thanks for your amazing guide. I've already bookmarked it to make sure I never lose it. A quick question though, I've heard from other previous Yr11s that I should use Seneca. But I don't really know if it's better than cgp. Have you used it before?
I only tried Seneca a few times and from when i used it i did not find it useful as it was brief and not relevant to my course. I would not recommend you to use it as it's not an efficient use of your time.
For bio and chemistry get your hands on CGP revision guide specific to your exam board and learn it inside out and you'll definitely get a top grade in those subjects . For physics get a textbook and learn + understand the content as well as memorising all the equations, you should learn how to manipulate equations and you'll be fine
Incede
Rep:
?
(Original post by qqalicia07)
Hi! I struggle with creative writing a lot and have thought about pre-writing a story to pick up on in the exam but i don’t know how it will fit with the exam question. Tips on how to think of a general story? This has been very helpful so thank you😊
Hey, you should try and make a general story that will fit with ANY theme - you can leave gaps to fill in the exam and make sure your story fits in with the question. You can take a really like to plan this story since it needs to be well thought out if it is to fit any theme so make sure you do spend quite a few hours perfecting it.
Also, to be a bit more safer, you could memorise multiple stories to cover even more possible questions - this way you will have a story for any question. You still have more than enough time so this is definitely a viable option if you learn + memorise one story in a week to a month Good luck for English and make sure you take your time when you pre-write to make it really good.
Incede
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danyaaaaaal)
Hi. Thx for this great post Ive only just started in yr10, but i wanna start revising early to get a headstart. The thing im really confused on is time management which im rly bad at :/ How did you sort out a timetable with a good amount of revision study every week?
I never really had a timetable. I just listed out every topic from every individual subject and then planned ahead, saying which day/week i would cover a topic, then I'd remove this from the list and gradually the list got smaller and smaller until I had finished every topic. I don't like timetables as you can't adapt them and they just make studing more stressful when you have time restrictions on yourself. You still have 2 years, so there's lot's of time to think ahead as to how you will do all your revision, good luck :^_^:
Ash_Doug_18
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi. I am homeschooled and just read this post. Thank you so much I think you just saved me.I have been talking to people who just sat their exams and none of them are willing to give me their English Literature papers from this year. I was wondering if you were willing to share your English Literature exam paper with me?Thank you so muchAshe
Yussuf_d113
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi. This guide is really helpful, thanks. You said you had prepared a model answer for English which you adapted to the question in the exam, but I don’t know how to get started. Could you provide the one that you had written for your exam, or some key things to include for the story.
Incede
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yussuf_d113)
Hi. This guide is really helpful, thanks. You said you had prepared a model answer for English which you adapted to the question in the exam, but I don’t know how to get started. Could you provide the one that you had written for your exam, or some key things to include for the story.
I re[lied to this message you sent earlier through pms
Y274
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much I really know how to break down my revision now. and seriously TEN NINES that is amazing CONGRATULATIONs you must be so so proud of yourself. good luck with your future i hope everthing is easy for you thanks again
Incede
Rep:
?
(Original post by Y274)
Thank you so much I really know how to break down my revision now. and seriously TEN NINES that is amazing CONGRATULATIONs you must be so so proud of yourself. good luck with your future i hope everthing is easy for you thanks again
Thank you so much. :blush:
Y274
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Incede)
Thank you so much. :blush:
Hey is there anyway I can contact you directly I have a few questions about revision I’d like to ask
Xxx
mxds_xo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well done on the 9s! I was just wondering what your model answer for English was for you left spaces to adapt to it?? Some examples or you example would be really useful in getting an idea of what sort of story I can memorise. Thank you 😊
Incede
Rep:
?
(Original post by Y274)
Hey is there anyway I can contact you directly I have a few questions about revision I’d like to ask
Xxx
Yes, you can send me a private message
Incede
Rep:
?
(Original post by mxds_xo)
Well done on the 9s! I was just wondering what your model answer for English was for you left spaces to adapt to it?? Some examples or you example would be really useful in getting an idea of what sort of story I can memorise. Thank you 😊
Hi, I don't actually have the story as it was written on paper so I can't provide you with that. But here's some tips:

To make a story that can fit any theme, I'd have a look at some creative writing examples that acheive full marks in your exam board, and see what techniques they used. Almost all stories begin with a really good description using exceptional vocab, so start with that as this is the easiest thing to plan ahead. Then just think of as many possible routes for a story and choose which one is the most general/can be adapted to fit any theme and continue from there. You can also try leaving small gaps in the story to fit the theme. But, you can probably get away with writing about most things as it's English so it's all your own interpration so it's hard to say a story won't fit a theme in any way. Only a small part of the story needs to answer the actual question.

Good luck!
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What awarding body did you take your subjects with and did you receive any raw marks?

Also, I learnt no advanced terms and got a grade 9 in literature because, as a top-grade student like yourself should know, it's the ANALYSIS that impresses the examiner, and not the terms themselves, regardless of how advanced they may be. It really is not necessary.

When you can just memorise some analysis and vomit in the exam, it truly shows a 9's worth. I feel like one of my favourite subjects was **** on here lmao.

(Original post by mxds_xo)
Why do you have to memorise anything for creative writing? Can you not just write ad lib or something?
Last edited by Tolgarda; 2 weeks ago
Incede
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
What awarding body did you take your subjects with and did you receive any raw marks?

Also, I learnt no advanced terms and got a grade 9 in literature because, as a top-grade student like yourself should know, it's the ANALYSIS that impresses the examiner, and not the terms themselves, regardless of how advanced they may be. It really is not necessary.

When you can just memorise some analysis and vomit in the exam, it truly shows a 9's worth. I feel like one of my favourite subjects was **** on here lmao.

Why do you have to memorise anything for creative writing? Can you not just write ad lib or something?
I know, I'm sorry . I absolutely hated English. Personally, i think it's useless so i really did just try to find the easiest way to get the 9, I didn't care for the subject itself :K:

Obviously someone who truly enjoys English could easily get a grade 9 by being spontaneous and not memorising anything (how i find maths). But there you go, it does show a "9's worth".

Also i did Edexcel, if i remember correctly i got 143/160 in lit and 151/160 in language. Gotta do what you gotta do
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I know, I'm sorry . I absolutely hated English. Personally, i think it's useless so i really did just try to find the easiest way to get the 9, I didn't care for the subject itself :K:
Don't worry. I can tell. It's clearly not everyone's cup of tea.

Also i did Edexcel, if i remember correctly i got 143/160 in lit and 151/160 in language. Gotta do what you gotta do
Not bad. It worked, so I can't say anything against that.

Were all your other subjects with Edexcel?
Incede
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Don't worry. I can tell. It's clearly not everyone's cup of tea.

Not bad. It worked, so I can't say anything against that.

Were all your other subjects with Edexcel?
A mixture of Edexcel, OCR, AQA . The subjects i had edexcel in were the ones where i was above the boundary by quite a bit, can't say the same for my other subjects/exam boards though.
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A mixture of Edexcel, OCR, AQA . The subjects i had edexcel in were the ones where i was above the boundary by quite a bit, can't say the same for my other subjects/exam boards though.
I see. Would you mind disclosing your raw marks for other subjects then (if you remember them)? I think it would be interesting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.59%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.17%
No (176)
34.24%

Watched Threads