The Student Room Group

biology or physics a level?

I was wondering whether I should take biology or physics a level-at this moment i have chosen biology however after some thought i am seriously reconsidering. Alongside biology i have chosen maths and chemistry, which i am happy with. I enjoyed physics more than biology at GCSE however I have heard that subjects are very different in A level than GCSE. I've looked through both of the specifications and physics seems more interesting but at the same time a lot more complicated. If there is anyone doing any of those subjects/had this dilemma before, any advice would be appreciated asap as my choice needs to be confirmed by tomorrow afternoon.

ps my gcse grades have no influence on my choice as i got the same (9) in both

Thanks
Have any career plans which could help you choose between the two?
Reply 2
I'm doing biology, chemistry and physics.

Physics is definitely harder imo, it's mainly applying concepts you've learnt, calculations with little definition type questions you would've come across at GCSE.

Biology is all about learning the vast amount of content and applying it, there's some easy stats but that's pretty much it.

A-level biology is more similar to GCSE than A-level physics is I think.
Original post by PastelColours
Have any career plans which could help you choose between the two?

Not yet no. I've looked at doing medicine however i don't feel that it is the right choice for me. Physics at uni seems a lot more enticing but i am not sure which field my physics career could be based in.
Original post by F12Ak
I'm doing biology, chemistry and physics.

Physics is definitely harder imo, it's mainly applying concepts you've learnt, calculations with little definition type questions you would've come across at GCSE.

Biology is all about learning the vast amount of content and applying it, there's some easy stats but that's pretty much it.

A-level biology is more similar to GCSE than A-level physics is I think.

Thank you for your response!

Would you say that physics is manageable in terms of content? Im undecided about the two based on the fact that I'm not sure where my a levels could take me (other than medicine/other biology related courses) if i took biology. I also want to do an EPQ so i don't want to have an overwhelming amount of work to do.
Reply 5
Original post by leah2711
Thank you for your response!

Would you say that physics is manageable in terms of content? Im undecided about the two based on the fact that I'm not sure where my a levels could take me (other than medicine/other biology related courses) if i took biology. I also want to do an EPQ so i don't want to have an overwhelming amount of work to do.

Yes it is, at the end of every lesson I would make my notes on that chapter and do the end of chapter questions so that I understood it properly and wasn't missing gaps. It made the end of year exam a lot easier to revise for.

Imo physics, maths and chemistry is good if you want to go down the natural sciences, chemistry, physics, engineering or maths route in university and you can still get into medicine or dentistry. The only science courses you can't do will be biology related (biology, biomedical, biochem etc.).

You seem to enjoy physics more so I'd say do that. It'll be easier revising for a subject you enjoy rather than one your good at but don't enjoy. If it's the workload thats the issue, you'll be fine as long as you keep on top of things. I did 4 A-levels in Y12 and got an A in my end of year physics exam and I'm not the most organised person so I'm sure you'll be alright.
Original post by F12Ak
Yes it is, at the end of every lesson I would make my notes on that chapter and do the end of chapter questions so that I understood it properly and wasn't missing gaps. It made the end of year exam a lot easier to revise for.

Imo physics, maths and chemistry is good if you want to go down the natural sciences, chemistry, physics, engineering or maths route in university and you can still get into medicine or dentistry. The only science courses you can't do will be biology related (biology, biomedical, biochem etc.).

You seem to enjoy physics more so I'd say do that. It'll be easier revising for a subject you enjoy rather than one your good at but don't enjoy. If it's the workload thats the issue, you'll be fine as long as you keep on top of things. I did 4 A-levels in Y12 and got an A in my end of year physics exam and I'm not the most organised person so I'm sure you'll be alright.

Thank you so much for this, it has definitely helped me with my decision:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending