University of Surrey or Oxford Brookes

Watch this thread
dinazaur
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm planning to study hospitality management in UK, and I'm currently thinking over 2 options: University of Surrey or Oxford Brookes. I was wondering whether you could speak your mind about these 2 universities. Which one to choose, and why?
dhxx
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Surrey is really good for employability after you graduate and the uni is respected/has a good reputation also is a lot higher in league tables if that matters to you. I visited both open days and am studying business management and choose surrey.
Noelshaju
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hii can you tell me about Business management in Surrey?
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dinazaur)
I'm planning to study hospitality management in UK, and I'm currently thinking over 2 options: University of Surrey or Oxford Brookes. I was wondering whether you could speak your mind about these 2 universities. Which one to choose, and why?
(Original post by Noelshaju)
To introduce myself – I’m Joao, an Economics student from the University of Surrey on placement at Defra (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) this year and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I have some interesting subjects with really good lecturers (obviously depends on the module and lecturers you have). Surrey is 8th in the UK for business and economics for example. Rankings fluctuate all the time I honestly wouldn’t worry.

The campus is lovely. Surrey is known to put a lot of emphasis on the social life of students and always care about how you spend your free time at university. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests’ students have and clubs for all kinds of sport that a student might want to take up. And even with covid restrictions, the union managed to organise one of the biggest covid-safe university events in the country!

During my first year, I spent a lot of time training as part of the University’s rowing team and I had amazing time there. So, if you are into sports that is something you should definitively consider.

I think this may help you.

All you need to know about studying economics at Surrey:
https://blogs.surrey.ac.uk/student-e...ics-in-surrey/

Study and work abroad:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/student-exchanges/study-abroad

More than 140 societies and clubs to join:
https://blogs.surrey.ac.uk/bulgariab...clubs-to-join/

Joao
Economics
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dinazaur)
Hi! I'm Elena, a 2nd year Business Management (Marketing) at Surrey. I really understand your struggle because I also considered going to Oxford Brookes. However, a few things made me choose surrey. I went through the modules of all my top uni choices and I preferred the ones at Surrey. I advise that you check the type of assessments you'd be doing at each uni, that might help you decide. For example, I like a mixture of assignments (either individual or in groups) and tests and exams, and at Surrey I am assessed in this way. I also loved the fact that it's a campus uni and it's so close to London.

I wrote a blog post about why I chose Surrey so click here if you want to check it out.

Now being a Surrey student, I am so glad I chose this uni. I love the campus and everyone is really friendly!

Hope that helped. If you have any questions, please ask. Have a nice week!
Elena.
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Noelshaju)
Hi! I'm Elena, a 2nd year Buisiness Management (Marketing) student at Surrey.

At Surrey, all Business Management students study the same modules in first year. In second and third year, you can choose some modules depending on the pathway you've chosen. It could just be Business Management, or you can go into Entrepreneurship, International Business, Marketing, Entrepreneurship or Human Resource Management. The number of modules and the modules you can choose depend on your pathway.

I've had some really interesting subjects like Ethics, Consumer Behaviour, Social Entrepreneurship or International Fashion Marketing. You can see the full requirements and specifications for Business Management here.

I wrote a blog about some reasons why I chose Surrey, which you can see here.

You might also be interested to know that you can study Business Management with some languages.

Hope that helped.
Elena.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (14)
28%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (21)
42%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
12%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2%

Watched Threads