The Student Room Group

A Level Maths specification

Are there any major differences in the older A Level Maths specification and the newer one that has been recently introduced?

I am doing Edexcel BTW. Are there any new topics/chapters in the new spec? Have any of the topics from the older spec been taken out?
Original post by Oblivious101
Are there any major differences in the older A Level Maths specification and the newer one that has been recently introduced?

I am doing Edexcel BTW. Are there any new topics/chapters in the new spec? Have any of the topics from the older spec been taken out?

Why are you asking? Just use the new spec - the style of questions is different.
Original post by Muttley79
Why are you asking? Just use the new spec - the style of questions is different.

I just want to know if I can still use questions from the old specification.
Can anyone else help me with this problem?
Can anyone else help me with this problem?

Yes you can use papers but make sure you use the newer ones too. There are lots of additional resources exam boards produced so focus on those too.
Reply 5
We used the old OCR C1-C4 papers to revise as we went through the new Edexcel course, I think they were similar enough (only major difference I can remember is Simpson's rule is on the OCR papers but is in further maths for Edexcel now).
Original post by Muttley79
Yes you can use papers but make sure you use the newer ones too. There are lots of additional resources exam boards produced so focus on those too.

Thanks for your reply. What are the additional resources that the exam boards produced? What do you mean by this?
Original post by Interea
We used the old OCR C1-C4 papers to revise as we went through the new Edexcel course, I think they were similar enough (only major difference I can remember is Simpson's rule is on the OCR papers but is in further maths for Edexcel now).

Thanks you four help. I will take a look at the old ORC papers and spec.
Thanks for your reply. What are the additional resources that the exam boards produced? What do you mean by this?

Edexcel produced a lot of practice material which they made available to teachers. Your school should share this with you.

Quick Reply

Latest