Bellej21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I need to choose one novel to compare to The Handmaid’s Tale and can’t decide between 1984 by Orwell or Brave New World by Huxley? Has anyone who’s read them got any advice? Which would be easier to write a comparative essay on and get good marks? I wasn’t sure if 1984 was too obvious as it’s done a lot (therefore would be harder to write about new ideas that examiners haven’t seen before) but then didn’t know if Brave New World had enough links to write about alongside The Handmaid’s Tale. I’ve read HT but neither of the other two yet (I don’t have enough time to read both as I’m going back to school next week so need to decide on one).
Emily Bish
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can’t say I’ve read them, but I’d recommend doing 1984. It may be A
a popular, more obvious choice, but coursework is about what you can pull out and the depth of your analysis, so it doesn’t really matter if you go with obvious choices. There’ll definitely be more resources online, and it’s also important to note that coursework is pretty damn hard too. Your best bet is to make it as comfortable as possible for yourself. Hope this helped!! x
Bellej21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Emily Bish)
I can’t say I’ve read them, but I’d recommend doing 1984. It may be A
a popular, more obvious choice, but coursework is about what you can pull out and the depth of your analysis, so it doesn’t really matter if you go with obvious choices. There’ll definitely be more resources online, and it’s also important to note that coursework is pretty damn hard too. Your best bet is to make it as comfortable as possible for yourself. Hope this helped!! x
Okay thankyou I hadn’t thought about that, think I’ll go with 1984
VegetableMarvell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't know, comparing the sex aspect of The Handmaid's Tale with Brave New World would make a super interesting essay.

Also, this might help if you're comparing Huxley with Atwood. Atwood wrote an introduction about the novel, so its clear to see it influenced her.
https://www.penguin.co.uk/articles/2...and-new-world/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads