What books do you think everyone should read?

Watch
hehwhat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Are there any you think would:
make people happier?
improve society?
are simply fantastic
or should be read by everyone for any other reason?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The TSR forums rule book.
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any Billy Chapata Book. his books have helped me to become less dependent on people for love and to accept my flaws
satyabotcha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Great question.

After reading many books I have come to realise that there is no steadfast rule on 'must' read books. After all, there are so many books that I was told to read-only to hate it reading just after the first page.

On that note, I have the following book recommendations that might be a good starting point:

1) Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
2) How to win and influence people by Dale Carnegie
3) Mindset by Carol Dweck

I hope it helps.
hehwhat
Rep:
?
(Original post by satyabotcha)
Great question.

After reading many books I have come to realise that there is no steadfast rule on 'must' read books. After all, there are so many books that I was told to read-only to hate it reading just after the first page.

On that note, I have the following book recommendations that might be a good starting point:

1) Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
2) How to win and influence people by Dale Carnegie
3) Mindset by Carol Dweck

I hope it helps.
That is true. What made you hate them.

They sound like good books - i've read the dale carnegie one (it's very good but quite anecdotal!) and i'm going to have to get my hands on the rest!!

Thank you for your reply!!
satyabotcha
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hehwhat)
That is true. What made you hate them.

They sound like good books - i've read the dale carnegie one (it's very good but quite anecdotal!) and i'm going to have to get my hands on the rest!!

Thank you for your reply!!
Hate might have been a strong word. I would rephrase it as 'disliked'.

Let me expand further.

One of the most recommended books as an Imperial student was "Awaken The Giant Within" by Tony Robbins.

A great self-help book for sure.

A quick search on Good Reads rated the book at 4.14 stars from over 49,000 reviews!

However, once I picked up the book - all excited to change my life. I was bored. Bored because the content was just a repetition of well-known techniques such as the Growth Mindset by Carol Dweck. While the book did provide an overview of different techniques and strategies, it seemed just another boring self-help book which gets you hyped for 5 or so days only to get back to old ways of doing.

Coming back to myself, why did I not enjoy the book while millions of others have given it such rare reviews?

Simply put, I have grown and evolved.

My reading habits and the world I perceive have simply changed the more books I've read. You start to question everything around you and derive answers from yourself. In my case, the perception with Tony Robbins book.

And that's the reason why I quoted earlier that there are no must-read books.

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions, more than happy to discuss or help
hehwhat
Rep:
?

Let me expand further.

One of the most recommended books as an Imperial student was "Awaken The Giant Within" by Tony Robbins.

A quick search on Good Reads rated the book at 4.14 stars from over 49,000 reviews!

However, once I picked up the book - all excited to change my life. I was bored. Bored because the content was just a repetition of well-known techniques such as the Growth Mindset by Carol Dweck. While the book did provide an overview of different techniques and strategies, it seemed just another boring self-help book which gets you hyped for 5 or so days only to get back to old ways of doing.

Coming back to myself, why did I not enjoy the book while millions of others have given it such rare reviews?

My reading habits and the world I perceive have simply changed the more books I've read. You start to question everything around you and derive answers from yourself. In my case, the perception with Tony Robbins book.

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions, more than happy to discuss or help
That true - i think self help books are often a bit overrated, and don't bring much (or any) of the life changing transformation they promise. I guess they still have a place in the world though, and it's good to think about stuff and try some of what they say.

I think books like 1984 are great too!! I think stories are fun and make a lasting message stick - which i think is good.

But yeah, i see your point about self help
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stoner from John Williams

Why? because it is about a maincharacter (Stoner) who make always decisions for his own and is always hisself.

The great Gatsby

Why? because the novel has a good message: fortune is not everything to get your love. You can't always get what you want, even with many money.
Last edited by Kallisto; 1 year ago
Miriam29
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree that there is no definitive list of books that everyone should read, but I think that everyone would benefit from reading some of the works of Roald Dahl. His stories take you to a place of childhood imagination that I’ve never felt in any other children’s books.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Just an assumption, but I think you are a great Harry Potter fan.

No one who can recommend novels which are written in foreign language originally?
ml55
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
freakonomics
hamlet
Will_W
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
funny bones.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Now then lad by mike pannett
Random_Student
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Read dear society by me! It’s on amazon as a paperback
username4914582
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hehwhat)
Are there any you think would:
make people happier?
improve society?
are simply fantastic
or should be read by everyone for any other reason?
Sapiens and Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari, because they will transform the way you see the world.
Joseph Conrad's The Heart of Darkness, because it's one of the most troubling explorations of human nature ever written (I'm not for a moment defending his blatant racism though).
Virgil's The Aeneid, and Ovid's Metamorphoses, because nothing written in English has ever truly equalled the Roman classics.
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, because it's not talked about nearly enough in everyday society.
Finally, Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama, a brilliant book on identity and belonging that's never been more relevant, and is fascinating whether or not you agree with Obama's politics.
EagleKingdom
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mein Kampf.
Barriersdown
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Bible. It's the one book most people know about, criticize, treat as a myth, despise and throw out as rubbish - but have never read for themselves. (And this applies to most people who call themselves Christians,) However, when people do read it through with an open mind, it has made millions of them not only happier but has totally changed their perspective of life on this planet. It is the only book that not only goes to the root of our problems but gives us the answer to those problems. Yes, imany of ts teachings have been misapplied and misused by thousands who have not understood it's real message so read it for yourself, putting aside all preconceived ideas, and you will find it offers you something we, and society all need.
Helix120
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Slightly more recently - and I’m definitely bringing the tone down - The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas. It’s an incredible book.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Book of Judges.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Let me expand further.

Never trust a self-help book. That's the crap america laps up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads