Animation,Graphic Design,Fashion/Costume,Photography and Illustration Applicants 2020

Watch
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying! :hello:

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
GCSE grades:
Why Animation/Graphic Design/Fashion/Costume Design/Photography/Illustration This is a question you will be asked at interview so it's best to get an answer together sooner rather than later!
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself?

Good luck with your applications everyone :grouphugs:

For portfolio advice this thread is super useful! Check out the UCAS Applications megathread >> Here
Last edited by CoolCavy; 6 months ago
Plymouth College Of Art
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If any applicants or students that come onto this thread would like any information about studying Animation, Graphic Design, Fashion, Costume, Photography, Illustration or any of our other Art and Design based courses (Pre-Degree to Postgraduate) at Plymouth College of Art, or have any questions at all, please do ask away!

Happy to help,
Harriet
Third Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador
Charisssse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, I’m in the process of creating my portfolio for my BA application for fashion design and I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers. I know that each university has different criteria’s but is there anything that’s essential/ that I should know when creating it?
Plymouth College Of Art
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Charisssse)
Hi, I’m in the process of creating my portfolio for my BA application for fashion design and I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers. I know that each university has different criteria’s but is there anything that’s essential/ that I should know when creating it?
Hi Charisssse,

You're right in thinking each university has its own criteria and may well be looking for specific aspects in your portfolio, however they will be all looking for applicants who can confidently and competently talk through the work that you've brought with you; for example, they may ask your favourite piece and why, or they may ask you about a piece you feel you could improve and how, etc. A lot of universities will send you over a guide of how much they want to see from you, whether they want to see sketchbooks, etc. but if you're confused or unsure, you are always able to contact the admissions teams to make sure that you have all the information that you need when putting your portfolio together. If you're doing a pre-degree course or at sixth form, your tutors should be able to guide you into which pieces would be best to include, but it is ultimately up to you!

Hope this helps,
Harriet
Aashamohamed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Charisssse)
Hi yeah definitely look at the uni guides but sometimes they're just vague and confusing tbh. I'd say have a look at portfolio examples. my tutor advised us to have a look at pinterest as there's LOADS of portfolio examples and also www.artsthread.com which is so useful as you see what each uni likes from their students and what kinda style they're looking for. Like it becomes very clear to you what a Westminster portfolio looks like and what a Kingston one looks like and you defo see the difference. Also I'd say have a mix of work, making sure you're exploring different medias that shows your creativity. My tutor got me to have three illustrations that have mix media , 2 technical drawing boards, moodboards, final line up etc.

Hope that helped
RBudzinska
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi guys! I’m Rhiannon, currently in an art foundation year and currently deciding where to apply for Animation at university.

So far I can only think of University of Dundee and Arts University Bournemouth. If anyone is applying elsewhere I’d love to know why they want to go there so I can maybe get some ideas I’m in Cornwall and not looking for anywhere super close (eg Plymouth or Falmouth) as I want to go somewhere and explore!

My A level grades were A* and C (I have a chronic condition so only completed two A leves).
I can’t remember my GCSEs though

The only interesting fact I can think about myself is the fact that I made a short animation of just my cat because why not?
Charisssse
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Aashamohamed)
Hi yeah definitely look at the uni guides but sometimes they're just vague and confusing tbh. I'd say have a look at portfolio examples. my tutor advised us to have a look at pinterest as there's LOADS of portfolio examples and also www.artsthread.com which is so useful as you see what each uni likes from their students and what kinda style they're looking for. Like it becomes very clear to you what a Westminster portfolio looks like and what a Kingston one looks like and you defo see the difference. Also I'd say have a mix of work, making sure you're exploring different medias that shows your creativity. My tutor got me to have three illustrations that have mix media , 2 technical drawing boards, moodboards, final line up etc.

Hope that helped
Thank you I’ll check them out!
username5002794
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i applied for fashion photography to I need some pointers for my portfolio
Plymouth College Of Art
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Emily21772177)
i applied for fashion photography to I need some pointers for my portfolio
Hi Emily!

Where have you applied so far? Have you had a look at BA (Hons) Commercial Photography for Fashion, Advertising and Editorial at Plymouth College of Art? If you have had a look and have any questions, feel free to shoot them my way!

Best,
Harriet
username5002794
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Plymouth College Of Art)
Hi Emily!

Where have you applied so far? Have you had a look at BA (Hons) Commercial Photography for Fashion, Advertising and Editorial at Plymouth College of Art? If you have had a look and have any questions, feel free to shoot them my way!

Best,
Harriet
Soooo wish I knew about this sooner 😫 would love to apply
Plymouth College Of Art
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Soooo wish I knew about this sooner 😫 would love to apply
Well, if you would like to speak to our Admissions Team you can email [email protected] or call +44 (0)1752 203434!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
Harriet
username5002794
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Well, if you would like to speak to our Admissions Team you can email [email protected] or call +44 (0)1752 203434!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
Harriet
I’ve already applied to 5 through UCAS wish I applied for this one to? Is it possible to still Apply?
Plymouth College Of Art
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I’ve already applied to 5 through UCAS wish I applied for this one to? Is it possible to still Apply?
Hey,

I believe you are able to change your UCAS choices up to 14 days after you've submitted them, but as far as I'm aware you can't add additional choices until Clearing. I'm not confident that everything is the same on UCAS as to when I applied, so it's best to check on the official UCAS website for the correct information and feel free to speak to the Admissions Team at PCA if you'd like!

Best,
Harriet
PerfectlyMad
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, I'm applying for university soon, the course I would like to study is animation, and I could really do with some help with it comes to writing a personal statement and creating a portfolio. So if any current animation students would be willing to lend me a hand or maybe look over my personal statement, that would be great. I am currently studying Art, Production arts and ICT at A level and have an AS in mathematics, hoping to achieve good grades. Thank you
Plymouth College Of Art
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey PerfectlyMad,

Are you currently studying/in education? If you're doing A Levels or an equivalent or a foundation course of some kind, your tutor should be able to look over your personal statement and portfolio and let you know if you're heading in the right direction. Different universities often want different things from you in your portfolio, so it's worth looking to see if you can find that information on their website or via their admissions teams. I would say though, that you should try to pick pieces of work which you can talk confidently about; not just the positives, it's good to outline where you'd change aspects of your work or try something else if you did it again, too - the lecturers interviewing you will be looking for someone who can articulate well about their own work.

Hope this helps,
Harriet
username5002794
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If any applicants or students that come onto this thread would like any information about studying Animation, Graphic Design, Fashion, Costume, Photography, Illustration or any of our other Art and Design based courses (Pre-Degree to Postgraduate) at Plymouth College of Art, or have any questions at all, please do ask away!

Happy to help,
Harriet
I’m applying for fashion photography
maiarosemac
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
hey ! i am Maia
University Choices:
-Illustration at Edinburgh University
-Fine Arts at Edinburgh University
-Art Foundation Year at Dundee
-Communication Design at Glasgow School of Art
-Graphic Design at Napier
Predicted Grades:
-A at Advanced Higher English
-A at Advanced Higher Art
-B at Higher Psychology
Higher Grades:
-2 As and 3 Bs these including Art and Graphic Communication
Why: enjoy that illustration incorporates both art and areas of English as they are two subject areas i an incredible passionate. Also glad skills gained from graphic communication will be put to use.
Lola Mercury
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I'd like to learn more about a couple of courses (nowhere near the applying stage yet):

BA Costume Production and Associated Crafts
BA Fashion
BA Fashion Media and Marketing

I would only be applying to Plymouth College of Art, as that's where my house is and where I'm looking to move back to after many years away - I'd be coming home.

My first degree was in French and German, and I graduated in 2001.

My A Levels were:
English Literature - B
French - B
German - A

I've since learned Arabic and Russian as well, but would love to come back to Art, many years after an A grade at GSCE, and hope to one day design for my own Vintage and Burlesque fashion label, ideally based in Plymouth.

Would love to chat with the PCOA student representative if available - thank you!
Last edited by Lola Mercury; 3 months ago
Plymouth College Of Art
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lola Mercury)
Hi, I'd like to learn more about a couple of courses (nowhere near the applying stage yet):

BA Costume Production and Associated Crafts
BA Fashion
BA Fashion Media and Marketing

I would only be applying to Plymouth College of Art, as that's where my house is and where I'm looking to move back to after many years away - I'd be coming home.

My first degree was in French and German, and I graduated in 2001.

My A Levels were:
English Literature - B
French - B
German - A

I've since learned Arabic and Russian as well, but would love to come back to Art, many years after an A grade at GSCE, and hope to one day design for my own Vintage and Burlesque fashion label, ideally based in Plymouth.

Would love to chat with the PCOA student representative if available - thank you!
Hey Lola,

I've sent you a PM about the courses you're interested in!

Best,
Harriet
Student Ambassador and Third Year Photography Student at PCA
username5002794
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m still waiting to hear back from LCF I applied in October
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (112)
27.93%
No (289)
72.07%

Watched Threads