The Student Room Group

Career Advice For A Dummy

Hello Everone,
I recently finished my A-Levels in England. I decided to do an apprenticeship in place of the traditional route. Naturally, I’ve applied to many companies to do a Level 6 (Degree Apprenticeship) across the UK. Thankfully, two companies think I’m a good enough candidate to offer me a role. Here’s the thing;

I’ve passed the assessment centre, the final stage, for a similar position at two different companies.

Company A has offered me a secure role, I will be asked to sign the contract soon. Company B has put me in a state of Limbo, my profile is being sent around to hiring managers across the business in Company B. When a role is deemed suitable it will be offered, from what I understand this may take a long time but is semi-guaranteed. This is taking its time, I am yet to receive any concrete offers from Company B.

I prefer to be employed by Company B.

I would prefer not to turn down Company A fearing to lose both opportunities.

What are the legal implications if I sign with A, go along with them until B shows up with an offer, then jump ship to the B?

Am I in breach terms of the contract?

If so, what would that entail?

Where do I look in the contract to see those terms?

Assuming this is illegal, Is there a more legally sound way about going about this?

I would say go with your aspirations and try with your best shot. If you really prefer to be with company B then so be it. But, as you stated, your serendipity is still undecided. Let's take into account the marshmallow rule. You could either take 2 marshmallows now or, wait and take the whole bag. In this situation, it's all or nothing so I would say take your best shot, because you'll still fall in the stars. THere are no legal implications when signing with A, and moving to B at the concurrent time, but, just make sure you want to know where you are going. Company A, the safe option or, Company B, the risky option. Your choice.
Reply 2
Original post by LookMaNoHands
Hello Everone,
I recently finished my A-Levels in England. I decided to do an apprenticeship in place of the traditional route. Naturally, I’ve applied to many companies to do a Level 6 (Degree Apprenticeship) across the UK. Thankfully, two companies think I’m a good enough candidate to offer me a role. Here’s the thing;

I’ve passed the assessment centre, the final stage, for a similar position at two different companies.

Company A has offered me a secure role, I will be asked to sign the contract soon. Company B has put me in a state of Limbo, my profile is being sent around to hiring managers across the business in Company B. When a role is deemed suitable it will be offered, from what I understand this may take a long time but is semi-guaranteed. This is taking its time, I am yet to receive any concrete offers from Company B.

I prefer to be employed by Company B.

I would prefer not to turn down Company A fearing to lose both opportunities.

What are the legal implications if I sign with A, go along with them until B shows up with an offer, then jump ship to the B?

Am I in breach terms of the contract?

If so, what would that entail?

Where do I look in the contract to see those terms?

Assuming this is illegal, Is there a more legally sound way about going about this?

Hello, I have also recently finished my A Levels and am now also looking for a Level 6 Apprenticeship! I was wondering which companies you have applied for as many don't seem to have opened up for applications yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending