The Student Room Group

Living at home in Uni

So my University is minutes away from where I live, me and my family saw no point me paying money to live in a student flat just down the road and also then finding the time to buy food, make meals, washing, cleaning when I can live at home for free and have all that done for me. I also don’t think I could do essays with other people around me. But SO MANY students, adults, teachers and just about everyone has told me I’m missing out big time and that my student life won’t be good. I’m nervous I’m going to miss out on everything you look forward to within the student life, I’m also worried I won’t make friends because I’m living at home? I feel people will have already made friends or have them before I start. Can anyone list the advantages and disadvantages of living at home while studying? Are there any advantages linked to friends etc? Thanks :smile:
I wish I could live at home :frown:
Let’s swap ahaha
Just attend loads of freshers events and you will meet people and make friends
Yes it may be easier if you are in halls to make friends but you can still meet loads of people outwith halls
Original post by Elissa Grace
So my University is minutes away from where I live, me and my family saw no point me paying money to live in a student flat just down the road and also then finding the time to buy food, make meals, washing, cleaning when I can live at home for free and have all that done for me. I also don’t think I could do essays with other people around me. But SO MANY students, adults, teachers and just about everyone has told me I’m missing out big time and that my student life won’t be good. I’m nervous I’m going to miss out on everything you look forward to within the student life, I’m also worried I won’t make friends because I’m living at home? I feel people will have already made friends or have them before I start. Can anyone list the advantages and disadvantages of living at home while studying? Are there any advantages linked to friends etc? Thanks :smile:

You will just have to make more of an effort than other people to make friends on your course. which uni are you at?
You can still have fun, sleep over in a room. You can still get the university experience! From going out, being at someones accom all the time you'll make friends.

Advantages:
You get more work done
There is no drama
Free everything
You can use it as an excuse to get out of something

Disadvantages:
Miss out on some things - but like i said if you want to be involved then just do it
Original post by Elissa Grace

Hi there!
I might be able to help a little bit; I've commuted to university (Uni of Bham) for the past 2 years, and will be doing so again for my final year. My commute is around an hour either way (so a tad more than being "minutes away").

So briefly, the main advantages:
-Physical separation from uni (I find it easier to relax and wind-down after each day)
-All of the creature comforts already exist
-Unlimited printing (or until the cartridge runs out and you have to buy some more)
-Free rent/free food/etc
-Best of both worlds, you are close to both your uni and home friends
-Travel costs are often far less than the cost of student accommodation
-You get used to commuting before you start working

Main disadvantages:
-Depending on the distance, commuting can be expensive (but still cheaper than renting/student accommodation)
-You won't have roommates to become friends with
-Society events will often be at "less than convenient" times
-Depending on your mode of transport, you usually won't get chance to work during your commute (so you've lost out on, in my case, 2 hours every day)
-It's stressful. Really stressful. At least, it can be at times
-Relationships-wise, it may be a bit more of a struggle; not being around for a fair chunk of time

So in summary, commuting works for me but it often won't work for others. If you're shy and more introverted (as I was before coming to university) then I'd suggest staying in uni accommodation for the first year, just to build up your confidence and social skills earlier. Keep in mind that often student accommodation in the local area will be ~20 mins walk away anyway, so a 20 minute commute won't put you at much of a disadvantage.
-The key message I want to get across is that living at home/commuting requires you to put more effort into keeping engaged with friends, societies, and the social aspect of university in general.

I hope that's been of some help :smile:
Thank You for all your AMAZING replies! This has really made me feel a lot lot better! Thank You to everyone who replied and especially the people who took the time to write the advantages and disadvantages and really went in depth to help me out :smile: I really appreciate it. I’m going to Coventry University this September to study Adult Nursing
Thank You for all your AMAZING replies! This has really made me feel a lot lot better! Thank You to everyone who replied and especially the people who took the time to write the advantages and disadvantages and really went in depth to help me out :smile: I really appreciate it. I’m going to Coventry University this September to study Adult Nursing
Congratulations! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest