• Do one physics paper 1 past paper. []
  • Do one computer science paper 2 past paper. []
  • Learn how to import a database into a C# project. []

3. Other stuff
  • Finish solving 2 questions from the mentoring sheet. [/2]
  • Finish writing up all the questions on the mentoring sheet. [/7]
  • Complete the first sheet of differential equations problems. []

School update
School’s going well! Got 98% in one physics test () and still waiting for another one back. I’ve also finished my game play screen in computer science and basically completed the theory so I’m making good headway with that.
I’ve also been allowed to take a day off school as I have no lessons on that day which is nice because I have to travel an hour each way to school and now I can procrastinate in my pyjamas instead of school uniform and hopefully it should be slightly more productive! I’m also trying to find online courses/other maths/STEM related things that I could do with this time so if anyone has any recommendations please let me know!

University applications update
I’ve realised how little time I have left until the 1st (whoops) so now I’m frantically trying to write essays which is never good. I’m also trying to make sure I’m completely decidedon the colleges that I’m applying to, so that I can see whether any of my other applications can also be done early action which would take off some stress during mocks period. Of course, that all depends on the outcome of…
October the 18th!! (give or take a couple of days) Which is the day that SAT subject test results come out. Maths was fine, as was probably to be expected, but physics was… not good. I’m really slow at solving physics at the best of times so I solved the last question but didn’t have time to bubble it in or go back to the 10 other questions I missed out. And that doesn’t even account for the 5 or so I just guessed. Still, it’s my own fault for not doing enough revision and not knowing all of the material. So we’ll have to wait and see on that one but I need to send scores directly to use the free score reports (and to get them to MIT on time) so I won’t actually be able to stop the scores going if they’re bad. Ah well, rant over.

General life update
Been listening to Beetlejuice the musical which is quite fun! I’ve also been procrastinating a lot recently which… ain’t great. Still, I’m feeling slightly calmer now that all the SATs are over.
I’ve got WWTBAM R2 on Monday which I’m not feeling very confident for so I’m just aiming to beat last years score – I think I got 4 or something. I’ve then got MOG on Tuesday and STMC practice on Thursday so quite a lot of maths competitions stuff which is exciting!
Last edited by SilentSolitaire; 6 months ago
ishaansolanki
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ANO-NI-MUS)
Thank you!
Well I'm doing CIE A levels so I'll apply with my IGCSE, AS and predicted A level grades. I will also give the SAT exams.
Why didn't you go through with it at the end?
What were your grades in As level?
SilentSolitaire
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago

10/10/2019 – Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah (in more ways than one)
Progress on to-do list
1. University application stuff
Finish polishing up all the MIT essays. [2/3]
Collect all the information needed for the rest of the MIT application. [done!]
Check eligibility for a fee waiver. []
Finalise list of colleges I’m applying to. [done!]
Start to complete the CSS profile. [won’t let me sign in. ]
Send off forms for Cambridge. [done!]

2. School stuff
Do one physics paper 1 past paper. [done!]
Do one computer science paper 2 past paper. [done!]
Learn how to import a database into a C# project. [done!]

3. Other stuff
Finish solving 2 questions from the mentoring sheet. [1/2]
Finish writing up all the questions on the mentoring sheet. [3/7]
Complete the first sheet of differential equations problems. []

Updated To-Do List
Finish polishing up all the MIT essays. [2/3]
Work on the common app essay. [ ]
Check eligibility for a fee waiver. [ ]
Start to complete the CSS profile. [ ]

2. Other stuff
Finish LaTeX-ing up the set theory notes I started. [ ]
Finish writing up all the questions on the mentoring sheet. [3/7]
Complete the first sheet of differential equations problems. [ ]

School Stuff
This week has…. not been great. I’ve come down with a cold which is not the best so I’ve spent most of the week sleeping. I didn’t do well in either of the past papers I did (around 65% in each) which, while there was a lot of stupid mistakes, is an indicator that I probably need to do a lot more work. Which isn’t great because most of my time is being spent on …

University Applications
We’re in the final stretch until I have to hand in my MIT application and I’m still working on the essays but the rest of it is basically finished. I’ve just got to finish the essays, follow up on an optional rec and then submit it. CSS profile isn’t due in until 30th November so at least I’ve got some leeway on that!
I also went for an open day at Manchester which was nice! The course seemed super easy for the first term (like, he put some problems up and I was like ‘how is this university maths???’. And I’m not sure there’s that much flexibility for trying out any harder modules so I’d have to see. My mum suggested I might just have to take a gap year and reapply for Cambridge if I don’t get in but then I’d have to think of something to do…) I liked the place more than Durham but we didn’t stay very long because everything was so crowded and I am not a fan of that. At least that’s university open days over and done with!
I also got two offers from Universities- the standard offer of A*A*A from Warwick (assuming they do actually take my prior STEP as they stated last year…) and AA from Manchester! I also didn’t have to do a visit day and interview from Manchester which I’m really happy about.

Other Stuff
I got to go to Manchester to go to a set theory seminar this week! It was on Wednesday so I had the day off so my mum emailed and they said I could go. It was a bit of a trek but the speaker was amazing and I could follow most of it so that was good! It was basically on what we can say about the size of sets in a choiceless universe and the answer was surprisingly little. It also links a little bit to some of the stuff I’ve seen on forcing so I’m trying to LaTeX up the notes and expand them a bit as I’d quite like to go over some of it and I really need to work on my LaTeX.
I haven’t made any progress with the last question on my mentoring sheet and started the differential equations but didn’t finish it so both of those still need to be done. They’re bigger tasks then I thought and I’m sleeping a lot more because of the cold, hence my much smaller to do list this week.
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i love latex:gah:
offers!:woo:
good luck
SilentSolitaire
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toastiekid)
i love latex:gah:
offers!:woo:
good luck
I'm liking it so far but it takes me ages to get anywhere! What do you use for it?
Thank you!
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by SilentSolitaire)
I'm liking it so far but it takes me ages to get anywhere! What do you use for it?
Thank you!
i did a year long group research project at school last year...i ended up putting navier-stokes equations into latex:laugh:
SilentSolitaire
Rep:
?
19/10/19 - MIT application submitted!
Just a quick update to say that I finally finished everything and sent it off today. Trying not to worry about what I should have done and just start working on the next set of applications really but took an evening off first to bake cookies and do some maths.
SilentSolitaire
Rep:
?
20/10/2019 – An Actual Update
Last Weeks To-do List
Finish polishing up all the MIT essays. [3/3]
Finish 1st draft of both Chicago essays. [2/2]
Work on the common app essay. [ ]
Check eligibility for a fee waiver. [done!]
Start to complete the CSS profile. [still can't get onto it ]

2. Other stuff
Finish LaTeX-ing up the set theory notes I started. [ ]
Finish writing up all the questions on the mentoring sheet. [6/7]
Complete the first sheet of differential equations problems. [done!]

New To-Do List
Finish first draft of the common app essay. [/1]
Redraft both UChicago essays. [/2]
Ask teachers for common app references. [/3]

2. School Stuff
Finish programming the child class. [ ]
Finish programming the parent class. [ ]
Print out my computer science project so far. [ ]

3. Other Stuff
LaTeX up 1 page of set theory notes. [ ]
Send what I have to my mentor. [ ]
Learn a little bit more category theory. [ ]

So I’ve realised I’ve got quite a few tests coming up so giving myself a week off work probably wasn’t the best idea! One of them is after half term though so I’ve got a bit of time for that. I went to a second logic seminar on Wednesday this week- I managed to talk to some people this time and had some tea but got horrendously lost in the lecture. So that’s some more notes to write up!
And I managed to convince myself to stop obsessing and submit my MIT app! I made some substantial edits on the day which probably wasn’t the best idea but it feels like now I’ve finished one the others shouldn’t be too hard.
I’ve decided to aim for UChicago EA as well as that gives me three months less to wait and should also force me to do my common app. Half term is kind of a ‘mini-deadline’ I’ve set myself to finish all the essays for American colleges and then it’ll just be working on financial aid applications, checking all the details and submitting. We’ll see soon if that’s a bit too ambitious!
SilentSolitaire
Rep:
?
21/10/2019 - Random Update
Finish first draft of the common app essay. [done!]
Redraft both UChicago essays. [2/2]
Ask teachers for common app references. [1/3]

2. School Stuff
Finish programming the child class. [done!]
Finish programming the parent class. [done!]
Print out my computer science project so far. [ ]

3. Other Stuff
LaTeX up 1 page of set theory notes. [2/3]
Send what I have to my mentor. [ ]
Learn a little bit more category theory. [ ]

Had a whole day of frees today so made quite a bit of progress on my uni applications. I couldn’t access common app today though so I just had to do what I could. I also did quite a bit of computer science so that was good.
I’m going to do category theory and some logic tonight. I’ve also finally got onto the CSS profile so I’ve started filling that out.
SilentSolitaire
Rep:
?
25/10/2019 - Half-Term!
To-Do List

Finish first draft of the common app essay. [done!]
Redraft both UChicago essays. [2/2]
Ask teachers for common app references. [3/3]

2. School Stuff
Finish programming the child class. [done!]
Finish programming the parent class. [done!]
Print out my computer science project so far. [done!]

3. Other Stuff
LaTeX up 1 page of set theory notes. [done!]
Send what I have to my mentor. [done!]
Learn a little bit more category theory. [done!]

I'm not making a new to-do list yet because I'm having a day off tomorrow but got everything done ready for half-term!
SilentSolitaire
Rep:
?
01/11/2019 - Half term went fast...
And I have done absolutely nothing! (apart from listen to way too many musicals and play too many computer games but I don't count those. )
For the remaining two days of the holiday, I'm mostly meeting up with friends and just trying to forget about work- I figure I wasn't getting much done anyway so should probably try to stop feeling guilty about it.
However, I did get an offer from Durham which was pretty exciting! And really low. :eek: It's almost a shame I didn't like it more looking around but ah well. I'm also going to a visit day at Manchester which I'm quite nervous about, anyone been before and know what to expect?
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sorry I haven't been keeping up recently
Doing absolutely nothing during half-term is just the way to go :yes:
Congrats on the offer! :woo:
SilentSolitaire
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Sorry I haven't been keeping up recently
Doing absolutely nothing during half-term is just the way to go :yes:
Congrats on the offer! :woo:
I mean, I haven't been updating much lately either and university is probably much harder work. How's Durham?
Probably would have been more ideal if I then hadn't had two physics tests first week back...
Thank you!
SilentSolitaire
Rep:
?
10/11/2019 - Not really an update
To-do List
Uni Stuff
Princeton Essay [ ]
Harvard Essay [ ]

School stuff
Finish coding and testing section of my compsci coursework. [ ]

Other stuff
Solve 3 mentoring scheme questions. [ ]
Write up 3 mentoring scheme questions. [ ]

I was going to do a proper update but that'll probably come later, it's not been a great week.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Good luck with US admissions. Princeton and Harvard really give Oxbridge a run for its money (I know they do at graduate level, idk about UG) so I'd imagine you'll have a tough job deciding if you're lucky enough to get offers from all three. The broadness in the first two years put me off - but if you have quite broad interests you'll be fine.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Learn a little bit more category theory. [done!]
!!!

what kind of category theory have you done?

I'm not fully sure what it is, but I was under the impression it's not really looked at until graduate/late undergrad level.
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I mean, I haven't been updating much lately either and university is probably much harder work. How's Durham?
Probably would have been more ideal if I then hadn't had two physics tests first week back...
Thank you!
Durham has been pretty rainy recently, and all I want to do is curl up in bed and sleep
:console: I'm sure you did amazingly! :yep:
SilentSolitaire
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
!!!

what kind of category theory have you done?

I'm not fully sure what it is, but I was under the impression it's not really looked at until graduate/late undergrad level.
I've just been looking at the basics really and trying to apply it to what I already know about groups and rings (I read 'Cakes, Custard and Category Theory' years ago and did a bit at a camp I went to but was still struggling to understand what was actually going on so just read through some notes.)
From what I've seen, it doesn't actually require many prereqs, it's just really abstract and it's helpful to be able to apply it to a lot of examples from lots of different parts of maths, hence why it's taught so late.
SilentSolitaire
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Durham has been pretty rainy recently, and all I want to do is curl up in bed and sleep
:console: I'm sure you did amazingly! :yep:
:hugs: Hope you feel slightly better soon! It doesn't help that the days get dark so early either...
Thank you!
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
:hugs: Hope you feel slightly better soon! It doesn't help that the days get dark so early either...
Thank you!
Thanks :hugs: Honestly, the fact that it gets dark so early is just irritating :grumble:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (272)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (274)
15.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
9.92%
Isolating with family (123)
7.01%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.5%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (147)
8.38%
Loneliness (174)
9.92%
Financial worries (70)
3.99%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (160)
9.12%
Exposure to negative news/social media (125)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (156)
8.89%

Watched Threads