The Student Room Group

Official 2020 Physics Applicants Thread

Hey everyone!

This thread is for single or joint honours 2020 physics applicants.

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
Do you have to take an admissions test, if so which?:

@Puddles the Monkey
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What course are you applying for: Physics and/ with maths, theoretical physics with maths, natural sciences joint honours maths and physics.
What universities are you thinking of: Durham, Lancaster, Warwick, bath and Cambridge(queens college)
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: AS results 4A
GCSE grades: 12A* 1A
Extra curriculars: reading, summer schools, swimming, tutoring, running clubs.
Do you have to take an admissions test, if so which?: yes, STEP II and III
Hey :smile:
What course are you applying for: Physics with Astrophysics/Astronomy and Cosmology
What universities are you thinking of: Definitely going for Lancaster, Southampton, Nottingham and Birmingham but undecided on a 5th
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: Around A*AA mark I believe
GCSE grades: 8 A*, 3A
Extra curriculars: reading, telescope observations, some tutoring and babysitting
Do you have to take an admissions test, if so which?: Possibly for Southampton but it's specific to there, I don't know much about it

I'm stuck between Warwick, Bath and Durham for my 5th. Could someone help me out?
Reply 3
Original post by luluthompson
Hey :smile:
What course are you applying for: Physics with Astrophysics/Astronomy and Cosmology
What universities are you thinking of: Definitely going for Lancaster, Southampton, Nottingham and Birmingham but undecided on a 5th
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: Around A*AA mark I believe
GCSE grades: 8 A*, 3A
Extra curriculars: reading, telescope observations, some tutoring and babysitting
Do you have to take an admissions test, if so which?: Possibly for Southampton but it's specific to there, I don't know much about it

I'm stuck between Warwick, Bath and Durham for my 5th. Could someone help me out?

You should probably apply to the uni with the course you like the most so maybe read over the course descriptions. You can also look at entry requirements only if I recall correctly I think they all have the same requirements. Maybe consider location, Durham is far north but Warwick and Bath are more south. Durham is probably the best university in terms of reputation. However, Durham is like oxford and Cambridge with formals and colleges so if you like the tradition you may want to apply to Durham if you don’t you might want to rule it out. However, it seems like these unis aren’t your top choice so it probably won’t matter really if you’re set on two/ three of the others.
Original post by STEM.lover
You should probably apply to the uni with the course you like the most so maybe read over the course descriptions. You can also look at entry requirements only if I recall correctly I think they all have the same requirements. Maybe consider location, Durham is far north but Warwick and Bath are more south. Durham is probably the best university in terms of reputation. However, Durham is like oxford and Cambridge with formals and colleges so if you like the tradition you may want to apply to Durham if you don’t you might want to rule it out. However, it seems like these unis aren’t your top choice so it probably won’t matter really if you’re set on two/ three of the others.

Yeah I've looked over the course descriptions and I think my favourite is Bath so that's probably my best bet. The fancy formals and traditions would probably be a problem for me I'm not really like that, and it's pretty far from me. Warwick looked like a great uni but I'm not sure about the course itself. I think I'll apply for Bath but you're right I think I'm more focused on the others anyway. Did you get to a Bath open day? I can't get to the last one so I'm not sure what it's like. Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah I've looked over the course descriptions and I think my favourite is Bath so that's probably my best bet. The fancy formals and traditions would probably be a problem for me I'm not really like that, and it's pretty far from me. Warwick looked like a great uni but I'm not sure about the course itself. I think I'll apply for Bath but you're right I think I'm more focused on the others anyway. Did you get to a Bath open day? I can't get to the last one so I'm not sure what it's like. Thank you for your help :smile:

No I didn’t unfortunately and I can’t go to the last one either. But like you Bath is my last choice and there will be offer holder open days so if I do get an offer I’ll go to that open day.
No I didn’t unfortunately and I can’t go to the last one either. But like you Bath is my last choice and there will be offer holder open days so if I do get an offer I’ll go to that open day.

Ah yes I forgot about those, ok I think I’ll apply to Bath and go to the offer holder day if I get an offer. Thank you so much for your help
Reply 7
Ah yes I forgot about those, ok I think I’ll apply to Bath and go to the offer holder day if I get an offer. Thank you so much for your help

No problem, have you started your personal statement yet?
No problem, have you started your personal statement yet?

Yeah I’ve got that almost done now, I got it approved by a physics teacher so now I just need to get it approved by head of sixth form. Hardest thing I’ve ever done, but if you’re struggling then try just doing a complete brain dump and getting any remotely relevant words down on a page before you try and get it into paragraphs.
Hey everyone!

This thread is for single or joint honours 2020 physics applicants.

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

@Puddles the Monkey

I've added this one to the big list too :biggrin:
What course are you applying for; what universities are you thinking of: Physics BSc for Imperial, UCL and Edinburgh, Physics MSci for Oxford, Physics with Medical Physics for UCL

A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: I'm doing Canadian (Alberta) qualifications (surprise!), so not sure yet. But expecting it to be not much less than last years. Also an AP 5 on Physics 1
GCSE grades: 98.4 average in the last year.
Extra curriculars: Tutoring, Band, library stuff, med club etc etc nothing fancy here
Do you have to take an admissions test, if so which?: Physics Aptitude Test (Oxford)
Applied 8/10/19

Oxford (New College) - Physics MSci
Durham (St Chads) - Physics MPhys
Edinburgh - Physics with a year Abroad MPhys - deferred 2021 start y2
Bristol - Physics with study in Continental Europe MPhys - deferred 2021
Bath - Physics with a Year Abroad MPhys - deferred 2021

Maths - A*
Further Maths - A*
Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
German - A achieved
GCSE grades: 99999999988A*A*

Extra curriculars:
Tennis, world challenge, head prefect

PAT - 30th October
(edited 4 years ago)
What course are you applying for: (theoretical) physics
What universities are you thinking of: Cambridge (phys NatSci), St. Andrews, Durham, Birmingham, UCL
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*A*A*A
GCSE grades: 7xA* 3x9
Extra curriculars: summer schools, reading, Isaac physics, work experience, tutoring, volunteering, ballet, musical theatre, LAMDA, gold DofE
Do you have to take an admissions test, if so which?: NSAA
Reply 13
Hi
I applied for physics and maths (Equal)in York and got a mail regarding interview. What will they ask in it ? Is there a mock interview/ previous year transcript available ? Also I wrote my SOP on a completely unrelated subject (Economics) , will it have any effect?
Hi my

Original post by Akp2002
Hi
I applied for physics and maths (Equal)in York and got a mail regarding interview. What will they ask in it ? Is there a mock interview/ previous year transcript available ? Also I wrote my SOP on a completely unrelated subject (Economics) , will it have any effect?

My daughter had an interview yesterday for physics and astro, The questions vary from each student, but one was in maths and the other in physics. They discussed personal statement and why she wanted to study at York and why the course. The interviews can be from 15 mins to 30 mins. The interview day itself is brilliant. they make you feel at ease and very welcome and lunch was paid for by them. Not sure on economics, but they will likely ask you why you chose physics and maths in interview :smile:
Original post by Akp2002
Hi

Hi there,

You might find this page about what to expect from your interview day helpful.

Steph :h:
Reply 16
Original post by Ghostlady
Hi my

My daughter had an interview yesterday for physics and astro, The questions vary from each student, but one was in maths and the other in physics. They discussed personal statement and why she wanted to study at York and why the course. The interviews can be from 15 mins to 30 mins. The interview day itself is brilliant. they make you feel at ease and very welcome and lunch was paid for by them. Not sure on economics, but they will likely ask you why you chose physics and maths in interview :smile:

Thanks madam. Were the questions were from a level syllabus only ?
Original post by Akp2002
Thanks madam. Were the questions were from a level syllabus only ?

Hi they was yes.
Reply 18
Original post by Ghostlady
Hi they was yes.

Thanks
Messed up my entrance exam yesterday (NSAA) applied for physical Nat sci at Johns Cambridge. Predicted A*A*A*A in maths, phys, chem & FM (got 4 A’s at AS) and I’m doing an EPQ. Got all 9s and A*s at GCSE. Done loads of super and extra curriculars inc summers schools, work experience, gold DofE, prefect, 2 grade 8 distinctions in LAMDA. Do I still stand a chance? How much do they look at the entrance test? Worried I won’t even get an interview which sucks coz this is my dream and I’ve worked so hard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending