The Student Room Group

Official 2020 Physics Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

What course are you applying for: Physics
What universities: Oxford (LMH), Imperial, Durham (offer A*A*A), St Andrews, UCL
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*A*A*A
GCSE grades: 99988A*A*A*A*A*A*
Extra curriculars: piano, violin, various school officer roles, EES, work experience in High Energy Physics BJ
Do you have to take an admissions test, if so which?: PAT
Original post by Sabrinawwwww
What course are you applying for: Physics
What universities: Oxford (LMH), Imperial, Durham (offer A*A*A), St Andrews, UCL
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*A*A*A
GCSE grades: 99988A*A*A*A*A*A*
Extra curriculars: piano, violin, various school officer roles, EES, work experience in High Energy Physics BJ
Do you have to take an admissions test, if so which?: PAT

how did you find the PAT
Original post by Ghostlady
Hi my

My daughter had an interview yesterday for physics and astro, The questions vary from each student, but one was in maths and the other in physics. They discussed personal statement and why she wanted to study at York and why the course. The interviews can be from 15 mins to 30 mins. The interview day itself is brilliant. they make you feel at ease and very welcome and lunch was paid for by them. Not sure on economics, but they will likely ask you why you chose physics and maths in interview :smile:

Update: 2 days after interview at York, my daughter was offered a place :smile: very quick, thanks York :biggrin:. Has got an offer at Leicester, just waiting on Lancaster (interview in 10 days) and Oxford (Merton)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by czardasz
how did you find the PAT

It was quite bad ngl, Im not very confident on my chances of getting an interview, did you take it as well?
What course are you applying for: Physics and/with Philosophy / Physics with a Year Abroad / Natural Sciences
What universities are you thinking of: Imperial, Manchester, Oxford (Queen’s), Durham and King’s
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*A*A*A* in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths
GCSE grades: 99999999A*
Extra curriculars: Deputy Head Girl, DofE Silver and Ambassador, volunteering teaching maths to a gifted and talented student, working two jobs (nothing Physics really)
Do you have to take an admissions test, if so which?: PAT which went badly so Oxford is gonna be a no lol
Update: 2 days after interview at York, my daughter was offered a place :smile: very quick, thanks York :biggrin:. Has got an offer at Leicester, just waiting on Lancaster (interview in 10 days time) and Oxford (Merton)

Update York offer AAA physics and astrophysics. Leicester BBC (AAB if insurance) physics and astrophysics. Lancaster Unconditional for physics particle physics and cosmology. Lancaster unconditional for 2nd subject - physics astrophysics and cosmology. Just waiting on Oxford(merton). PAT test went ok but was hard she said.
Extra curriculars: active member of the nottingham astronomical society since 2013, Particle physics and cosmology work experience at notts uni. attended UNIQ summer school physics at Balliol. Work experience at Biocity.
We saw somerville, lmh, balliol, merton, magdalen and st annes on open day. All are nice so if your reallocated to any of them for interviews, they are superb colleges.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi, I have applied for Mathematics with Mathematical Physics but I think I would like to change to Theoretical Physics.Do you think this is possible/likely?
Original post by CataleyaLuna
What course are you applying for: Physics and/with Philosophy / Physics with a Year Abroad / Natural Sciences
What universities are you thinking of: Imperial, Manchester, Oxford (Queen’s), Durham and King’s
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*A*A*A* in Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths
GCSE grades: 99999999A*
Extra curriculars: Deputy Head Girl, DofE Silver and Ambassador, volunteering teaching maths to a gifted and talented student, working two jobs (nothing Physics really)
Do you have to take an admissions test, if so which?: PAT which went badly so Oxford is gonna be a no lol

I am applying for physics.Ive applied to manchester ,imperial,newcastle,durham and st andrews
Predicted grades are A*A*A for a level in maths,physics and chemistry in that order.
GCSE Grades:99998877
extra curricular : volunteering with gcse revision,dofe ,badminton
I don't have to take a PAT test
Original post by STEM.lover
Hey everyone!

This thread is for single or joint honours 2020 physics applicants.

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
Do you have to take an admissions test, if so which?:

@Puddles the Monkey

1. What course are you applying for: Physics or Physics with Philosophy
2.Universities: Cambridge for Natural sciences (rejected), UCL for Physics (rejected), Manchester for Physics with Philosophy (A*A*A* offer), Kings for Physics with Philosophy (AAB), Manchester for Physics with Foundation year (BBB verbal offer, waiting for an update on UCAS)
3. A level predictions: A*A*A in Maths, Econ and Physics respectively
4. GCSEs: Idek and idec
5. Extra curriculars: excercising, playing sports, reading, debating, campaigning, tutoring under privileged students, organising charity events and travelling. ooooh and I also speak, read and write fluently in 5 languages and I am learning a 6th one!

Anyone else who have offers from Kings or Manchester are more than welcome to send me a DM
omg what in the world:!!! this thread is dead...
Update York offer AAA physics and astrophysics. Leicester BBC (AAB if insurance) physics and astrophysics. Lancaster Unconditional for physics particle physics and cosmology. Lancaster unconditional for 2nd subject - physics astrophysics and cosmology. Just waiting on Oxford(merton). PAT test went ok but was hard she said.
Extra curriculars: active member of the nottingham astronomical society since 2013, Particle physics and cosmology work experience at notts uni. attended UNIQ summer school physics at Balliol. Work experience at Biocity.
We saw somerville, lmh, balliol, merton, magdalen and st annes on open day. All are nice so if your reallocated to any of them for interviews, they are superb colleges.

lol forgot about this thread and came up on news feed this morning.
update - She passed the PAT and had interview at Jesus College Oxford. Got as far as interview stage. She has accepted Lancaster Unconditional for Physics, Particle Physics and Cosmology Masters 4 year course :smile: Predicted grades at A*A*A*A in physics, chemistry, maths, further maths.
Anyone else firming Kings or Manchester for Physics?
Hi I have offers for physics from Imperial (A*A*A), Durham (A*A*A), St Andrews (AAA) and UCL(AAA), can’t decide which ones to choose for firm and insurance, any suggestions?? ANY help is very much appreciated thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending