What is the future of Healthcare in the UK? Watch

ENUKO
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
like when i went abroad to like Canada and US, they had better looking hospitals and better hours for staff and better technology, in the UK we dont see that as much, why is inovation slower for the healthcare industry in the UK than in places such as the US (eg they have robots giving medicine out to patients!!!)
why doesnt the NHS introduce these new technologies to the UK? is it about budget?
bennyj901
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In America at least hospitals can be essentially thought of as businesses (Its not that simple but thats basically what it boils down to). Like any business they charge their customers, those who need the hospitals services, and with this money they can invest back into the business and thats why hospitals over there in the USA at least, are much nicer and more advanced. Many US hospitals are part of a larger hospital 'network' which is operated by a company which is 'publicly traded' on the stock market, meaning shares of the company can be bought and sold by people like you and me. These charges can often be expensive (for a multitude of reasons which I can go into more if you wish) and is why health insurance in America is such a big deal.

As you probably know in the UK thats not how it works, we have a government funded NHS which is 'free at the point of delivery' meaning its not 'free' as so many people claim, but rather there is no charge for using NHS services. The NHS is funded through taxes (hence why its not 'free'), and so the government essentially runs the NHS by allocating funds and raising money through taxes. However because the govt. also has many other things that a limited amount of tax money has to be spent on, it ends up spending less per hospital on investments like robots and 'nicer; hospitals than American ones. However because there is no charge we don't need health insurance as much. Some people here do have it (Think BUPA), and their hospitals are more like American ones, but its no where near as popular since why pay for something which you have, in theory, already paid for by paying your taxes?

American hospitals tend to have a much shorter wait time than UK hospitals for many reasons (less people that go to each hospital, better investment so patients can be treated or at least seen by doctors faster, and some can't afford healthcare because its become so expensive), and my American friends usually spend less than 5 minutes waiting in a hospital, as opposed to my most recent to a NHS one which saw me wait 2 hours, although my bill was £0 and theirs was around £2,000.
ENUKO
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by bennyj901)
In America at least hospitals can be essentially thought of as businesses (Its not that simple but thats basically what it boils down to). Like any business they charge their customers, those who need the hospitals services, and with this money they can invest back into the business and thats why hospitals over there in the USA at least, are much nicer and more advanced. Many US hospitals are part of a larger hospital 'network' which is operated by a company which is 'publicly traded' on the stock market, meaning shares of the company can be bought and sold by people like you and me. These charges can often be expensive (for a multitude of reasons which I can go into more if you wish) and is why health insurance in America is such a big deal.

As you probably know in the UK thats not how it works, we have a government funded NHS which is 'free at the point of delivery' meaning its not 'free' as so many people claim, but rather there is no charge for using NHS services. The NHS is funded through taxes (hence why its not 'free'), and so the government essentially runs the NHS by allocating funds and raising money through taxes. However because the govt. also has many other things that a limited amount of tax money has to be spent on, it ends up spending less per hospital on investments like robots and 'nicer; hospitals than American ones. However because there is no charge we don't need health insurance as much. Some people here do have it (Think BUPA), and their hospitals are more like American ones, but its no where near as popular since why pay for something which you have, in theory, already paid for by paying your taxes?

American hospitals tend to have a much shorter wait time than UK hospitals for many reasons (less people that go to each hospital, better investment so patients can be treated or at least seen by doctors faster, and some can't afford healthcare because its become so expensive), and my American friends usually spend less than 5 minutes waiting in a hospital, as opposed to my most recent to a NHS one which saw me wait 2 hours, although my bill was £0 and theirs was around £2,000.
cheers
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ENUKO)
like when i went abroad to like Canada and US, they had better looking hospitals and better hours for staff and better technology, in the UK we dont see that as much, why is inovation slower for the healthcare industry in the UK than in places such as the US (eg they have robots giving medicine out to patients!!!)
why doesnt the NHS introduce these new technologies to the UK? is it about budget?
The problem in the UK is that the NHS is used as a political football which means it cannot be sufficiently reformed and simply sucks an ever larger amount of money from the taxpayer. There are two primary flaws..

1) The NHS is too political. It wastes millions providing hymen replacements, transgender surgeries and abortions along with proscribing medication that Doctors admit people don’t need. In this sense it is a tool for progressives.

2) The funding model relies on central government. If we moved to a private social insurance model like the workplace pension for full time employees then people could choose to have outpatient services at a private medical center. This would relieve pressure and allow the NHS to reallocate resources.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.59%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.17%
No (176)
34.24%

Watched Threads