The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official OXFORD 2020 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NLSeaWave
Hi all - just wanted to say that I received my CAS this week and submitted my visa application (I'm from the US).

Are you completing your previous degree this year? Or did you already have your final marks? I’m wondering how many offer-holders were given extensions for their work that will then make it difficult if not impossible to get a visa in time. Some faculties in Oxford for example won’t issue current student marks until September.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hello! I’m a current offer holder in MPhil in Linguistics, Philology and Phonetics. I was wondering if any other offer holders haven’t heard from their faculty since receiving the offer? I’ve tried to contact my graduate admissions administrator several times since March and she hasn’t replied. I’m worried I haven’t received important information that I should already know about.
Original post by Lucy Honeychurch
Are you completing your previous degree this year? Or did you already have your final marks? I’m wondering how many offer-holders were given extensions for their work that will then make it difficult if not impossible to get a visa in time. Some faculties in Oxford for example won’t issue current student marks until September.

I completed my undergraduate degree this year and although my final transcript was delayed it was finalized in early July allowing me to send it to my department. I suspect visa issues will result in many people arriving after October.
Original post by Fictious
Hello! I’m a current offer holder in MPhil in Linguistics, Philology and Phonetics. I was wondering if any other offer holders haven’t heard from their faculty since receiving the offer? I’ve tried to contact my graduate admissions administrator several times since March and she hasn’t replied. I’m worried I haven’t received important information that I should already know about.

I had an offer for this course but ended up withdrawing it. They haven’t been in touch since the offer, and the administrator either does not reply or answers very late. I even withdrew my offer through the college. My other department has not been in touch either, but its administrator is very helpful. If you have received university emails, I think you’re fine.
Original post by histlingtobe
I had an offer for this course but ended up withdrawing it. They haven’t been in touch since the offer, and the administrator either does not reply or answers very late. I even withdrew my offer through the college. My other department has not been in touch either, but its administrator is very helpful. If you have received university emails, I think you’re fine.

Thank you so much for sharing! I was starting to think the administrator was ignoring me on purpose. But now I’m worried I’m not receiving important documents, like I heard you’re supposed to receive your university card application and an official final offer letter after you submit your final transcript to meet the conditions. Haven’t received anything so far :/
Original post by Fictious
Thank you so much for sharing! I was starting to think the administrator was ignoring me on purpose. But now I’m worried I’m not receiving important documents, like I heard you’re supposed to receive your university card application and an official final offer letter after you submit your final transcript to meet the conditions. Haven’t received anything so far :/

I totally understand. If I recall correctly, it was stated in the offer letter that offer-holders can also contact Professor Wolfgang de Melo for administrative purposes, so I suppose that would be worth a shot. You can contact your college as well, they may have something reassuring in their pocket! :smile:
Dear all, I have a question as well. I am asked to send the final original transcript of my bachelors, but the problem is that the process in my home country is extremely slow and unbelievably expensive (I have to "buy" my final diploma and due to the pandemic that would be a financial burden for me and my family). My unofficial transcripts are final (I applied with them as well) and have been stamped by my institute, the only problem is that they are "unofficial". Do you think there is a chance that Oxford accepts them?
Me too.....When did you apply? Have you heard back from the faculty yet?
Hi all - just wanted to say that I received my CAS this week and submitted my visa application (I'm from the US).

Congrats on receiving your CAS number and submitting your visa application! Were you able to schedule your biometric appointment? If so, do you mind sharing if you used one of the USCIS Support Centers or the VFS Global Premium Centers? I have submitted my application but have not been able to schedule an appointment yet due to Support Centers being closed. Thank you
Original post by Leerio
Congrats on receiving your CAS number and submitting your visa application! Were you able to schedule your biometric appointment? If so, do you mind sharing if you used one of the USCIS Support Centers or the VFS Global Premium Centers? I have submitted my application but have not been able to schedule an appointment yet due to Support Centers being closed. Thank you

I used the ASC and still haven't been able to get an appointment despite them claiming to have reopening today. VFS hasn't updated the website. I should have just paid the the premium center but now you can't go back and change it. Truly a horribly designed system.
I used the ASC and still haven't been able to get an appointment despite them claiming to have reopening today. VFS hasn't updated the website. I should have just paid the the premium center but now you can't go back and change it. Truly a horribly designed system.

Thank you for your reply. I am running into a similar problem. And right there with you, the system is not designed to make it a smooth process for the applicants. I hope you are able to sign up for an appointment soon.
Are there any here who have applied to programmes reopen to applications? Has anybody received offers from such an application. I’m told it could be mid-July earliest to hear from the department I’ve applied to...
Original post by Leerio
Thank you for your reply. I am running into a similar problem. And right there with you, the system is not designed to make it a smooth process for the applicants. I hope you are able to sign up for an appointment soon.

I found one in NYC. I live in DC but I'm just gonna take the train up because I am desperate.
Reply 3733
Is there any way to delay paying the IHS surcharge when applying for a visa? I feel like it's just expensive enough that it's forcing my hand right now about whether or not I want to commit to Oxford (in this climate) or withdraw my application. I wish I could just see whether a visa will be granted and/or whether we would have to study online before I had to pay...
Original post by ohzc
Is there any way to delay paying the IHS surcharge when applying for a visa? I feel like it's just expensive enough that it's forcing my hand right now about whether or not I want to commit to Oxford (in this climate) or withdraw my application. I wish I could just see whether a visa will be granted and/or whether we would have to study online before I had to pay...

nope, sorry! you have to pay it before you submit the final application.
If I submit my financial declaration does that take me out of the running for any last minute trickle-down scholarships? I have no intention of going if I have to pay though...
Original post by flowersandcoffee
If I submit my financial declaration does that take me out of the running for any last minute trickle-down scholarships? I have no intention of going if I have to pay though...

Filling out the financial declaration has no impact on the funding process because most scholarships are not assessed on financial status of the applicant--most are assessed purely on merit. Thus, those involved in awarding scholarships will never see your financial declaration as the decisions as to whether you were even nominated for scholarships was made months ago when your application was first assessed.

The scholarships that do take into account the financial status of the applicant are quite few and far between and as far as I am aware have all been awarded now. To qualify for these sorts of scholarships they normally require a separate application in which you have disclose all things related to your household income and background. This is entirely separate from the financial declaration form.

The financial declaration may (I don't know this for sure) have an impact on whether you are eligible for college bursaries. These are assessed and awarded in a very different process. You should look to your specific college website or contact the college graduate admissions for further guidance on whether you are eligible for a bursary. But, from experience bursaries are mostly awarded to undergraduates, and very occasionally to graduates from very poor socio-economic backgrounds, or in the case of getting into financial difficulty during the duration of your course. Best to seek specific college guidance as this varies widely from college to college.
Reply 3737
Was awarded a fully funded DPhil scholarship two days ago (full tuition + living stipend for 3 years). Doing a DPhil in History. I believe my scholarship is specific to my field and so the relevant committee waited until all the Clarendon/Ertegun and college/departmental scholarships were gone before choosing someone for this - so I wouldn't get your hopes up regarding the availability of any more. I got placed at Christ Church. Thrilled would be an understatement!
Original post by sgon
Was awarded a fully funded DPhil scholarship two days ago (full tuition + living stipend for 3 years). Doing a DPhil in History. I believe my scholarship is specific to my field and so the relevant committee waited until all the Clarendon/Ertegun and college/departmental scholarships were gone before choosing someone for this - so I wouldn't get your hopes up regarding the availability of any more. I got placed at Christ Church. Thrilled would be an understatement!

So happy on your behalf - what a wonderful piece of news amongst all the global madness!
Original post by sgon

Congratulations! If you don’t mind saying, where did you do your masters? And do you mean the scholarship is specific to history or specific to a certain type of history?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending