The Student Room Group

Is it possible to work alongside university?

I’m starting uni in 3 weeks. I am just wondering if it would be possible to do any sort of part time work alongside my course? I’m doing nursing and of course I will be on placement as well.
I have a child, I’m also wondering if I work if that affects any help I might receive? Just not sure what the beat options are at the minute.
Any advice would be great!
Original post by dlduffy1
I’m starting uni in 3 weeks. I am just wondering if it would be possible to do any sort of part time work alongside my course? I’m doing nursing and of course I will be on placement as well.
I have a child, I’m also wondering if I work if that affects any help I might receive? Just not sure what the beat options are at the minute.

I suspect it might be very difficult alongside a nursing degree. You should probably make an assessment around early November when you will have a better view of your timetable and the essay/work requirements. That might also fit with blasting on with a Christmas temp job. But as I say, nursing has the reputation of being hard to do work alongside.

You you have a pub nearby that might to casual evening hours and a free child-minder?
Reply 2
Original post by dlduffy1

Hi, I have just graduated as a nurse!

Every hospital you go to placement at will have something called a 'staff bank'. Basically, if a shift is available, or a ward is short staffed people on the bank can pick up the shift. This work will be as a Band 2 Healthcare Assistant.

Normally, you'll have to have completed your first nursing placement for you to be accepted onto the bank. Your uni will be able to help you navigate the application process- or you can ask your mentor on your first placement.

Benefits of the bank are that you can experience different ward types and see which suits you the best. It also means that you can pick up shifts whenever it suits you- and the way that the NHS is at the moment, there'll always be shifts available.

Good luck with starting uni and with your first placement!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending