hais
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey,

So long story short, I got a D in mathematics which sucks as I wanted to do computer science at a 'good' university. missing both my firm and insurance, i've decided to resit the exam next year but I'm quite unsure on how to raise my grade from a D to an A or A*.

As the course was reformed and linear, I felt that most of my revision was useless since i practised tons of past papers and questions for the old spec, seeing as there weren't many resources for the new spec. This caught me off guard in the papers and quite frankly, i lost hope by doing so terribly in paper 2.

I have one year now so can you guys let me know how I should go about doing this and getting the best grade I can? Do i study the core basics again or stick to doing questions? Do you guys have spare resources or books that'll help? I really don't want to waste a year and end up getting a bad grade again. Thanks
National_G
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hais)
Hey,

So long story short, I got a D in mathematics which sucks as I wanted to do computer science at a 'good' university. missing both my firm and insurance, i've decided to resit the exam next year but I'm quite unsure on how to raise my grade from a D to an A or A*.

As the course was reformed and linear, I felt that most of my revision was useless since i practised tons of past papers and questions for the old spec, seeing as there weren't many resources for the new spec. This caught me off guard in the papers and quite frankly, i lost hope by doing so terribly in paper 2.

I have one year now so can you guys let me know how I should go about doing this and getting the best grade I can? Do i study the core basics again or stick to doing questions? Do you guys have spare resources or books that'll help? I really don't want to waste a year and end up getting a bad grade again. Thanks
Personally I would advise getting a good structure in place and maybe getting a tutor it economically possible. I would also advise things like the cgp question books and papers which I found useful and maybe asking around at schools in your area if they have any materials made up by staff that you could have. I think it is important to balance the questions and core revision but personally I found that questions are the best way and if you could find someone that you could explain how to do the questions to or work through together that that would be good for the early part of the year and I would advise doing the older spec questions earlier in the year as to leave the new resources for the bulk of the revision around exam period. Finally I would advise trying questions from all the exam boards as they do have cross over and will only give you deeper understanding this is something I found very useful. But yeah don’t get dishearten if you get especially stuck on something with time it’ll come and the papers were very tricky this year so I’m sure it is unlikely that it is a true persecution of what you are actually capable of.
Best of luck G
Dancer2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I actually did quite well on paper 2 (better than paper 1 I think), but I think what helped me was understanding each method really well. I used the edexcel new spec practice papers, which helped me on certain questions (eg. On the question about the plane leaving the runway, part b said ‘is your answer an overestimate or an underestimate’ which made me realise it had to be a trapezium rule question). I had also had a go at some step papers, and practicing these helped me to gain marks on questions where I had no idea what I was doing. The textbook exercises can help if you’re just starting to understand something, but they’re too easy really, and there is no point doing lots of them on a topic you mostly get. I also almost completely focused on calculus and trigonometry, and it made up most of the exam.
hais
Rep:
?
(Original post by National_G)
Personally I would advise getting a good structure in place and maybe getting a tutor it economically possible. I would also advise things like the cgp question books and papers which I found useful and maybe asking around at schools in your area if they have any materials made up by staff that you could have. I think it is important to balance the questions and core revision but personally I found that questions are the best way and if you could find someone that you could explain how to do the questions to or work through together that that would be good for the early part of the year and I would advise doing the older spec questions earlier in the year as to leave the new resources for the bulk of the revision around exam period. Finally I would advise trying questions from all the exam boards as they do have cross over and will only give you deeper understanding this is something I found very useful. But yeah don’t get dishearten if you get especially stuck on something with time it’ll come and the papers were very tricky this year so I’m sure it is unlikely that it is a true persecution of what you are actually capable of.
Best of luck G
Thanks for the advice, bro. Really appreciate it.
hais
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dancer2001)
I actually did quite well on paper 2 (better than paper 1 I think), but I think what helped me was understanding each method really well. I used the edexcel new spec practice papers, which helped me on certain questions (eg. On the question about the plane leaving the runway, part b said ‘is your answer an overestimate or an underestimate’ which made me realise it had to be a trapezium rule question). I had also had a go at some step papers, and practicing these helped me to gain marks on questions where I had no idea what I was doing. The textbook exercises can help if you’re just starting to understand something, but they’re too easy really, and there is no point doing lots of them on a topic you mostly get. I also almost completely focused on calculus and trigonometry, and it made up most of the exam.
Hi,

Could you refer me to where you found these new edexcel spec questions and also what step papers did you do? Thanks for replying, by the way.
Dancer2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hais)
Hi,

Could you refer me to where you found these new edexcel spec questions and also what step papers did you do? Thanks for replying, by the way.
I got the practice papers from my teachers, but I think the 2018 papers and some of the sample ones are on the edexcel website now. The step papers are all online, and anything from Step 1 can be attempted by someone at your level. If you’re struggling, you could have a go at the stuff on the step support programme website.
Last edited by Dancer2001; 1 month ago
Simrankpy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, were in a similar position so just to reassure you that your not the only one resitting this horrible subject. Exactly like you I too lost hope after Paper 2 and felt so demotivated to even turn up and give paper 3. But little did I know that the grade boundaries were going to be flippin 55% for an A! So I ended up getting B which was 6 marks off an A and I was so gutted cuz I had A's in my other 2 subjects. I instantly knew my only option was to resit maths if I wanted to go for medicine so here I am now resitting for maths and this time making sure I do every single exercise in the pearson book. I'm even more determined now to aim for that A* cuz I'm on a gap year resitting only this one A-level. I'm sure throughout the year our colleges will have access to more resources so it's just a matter of thoroughly practising every topic and using old and new resources to test the knowledge and methods learnt. Hope this helps
hais
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Simrankpy)
Hey, were in a similar position so just to reassure you that your not the only one resitting this horrible subject. Exactly like you I too lost hope after Paper 2 and felt so demotivated to even turn up and give paper 3. But little did I know that the grade boundaries were going to be flippin 55% for an A! So I ended up getting B which was 6 marks off an A and I was so gutted cuz I had A's in my other 2 subjects. I instantly knew my only option was to resit maths if I wanted to go for medicine so here I am now resitting for maths and this time making sure I do every single exercise in the pearson book. I'm even more determined now to aim for that A* cuz I'm on a gap year resitting only this one A-level. I'm sure throughout the year our colleges will have access to more resources so it's just a matter of thoroughly practising every topic and using old and new resources to test the knowledge and methods learnt. Hope this helps
Hey, bro. Sorry for the late-ish reply but yeah, sorry you didn't get the grade you wanted. All that matters is using this year to smash the exam in 2020! I'm also doing every single exercise in the book, which is honestly draining, but you gotta do what you need to for an A*. Currently sitting on chapter 7 in P1, how about you? Let's keep each other updated and share any useful resources if we find them Best wishes to you.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hais)
Hi,

I was going to ask which board - Edexcel released loads of additional resources for teachers to share with their students. Did your teacher not share these with your class?

Try this website: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...2017&term=Main
hais
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
I was going to ask which board - Edexcel released loads of additional resources for teachers to share with their students. Did your teacher not share these with your class?

Try this website: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...2017&term=Main
Hey, yeah we did Edexcel and our teacher in year two basically was trying to teach us both AS and A2 since our year 1 teacher was essentially useless. He didn't share many resources but a lot of past paper questions :/
I'll check out the link you sent, too. Thanks a ton!
Simrankpy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hais)
Hey, bro. Sorry for the late-ish reply but yeah, sorry you didn't get the grade you wanted. All that matters is using this year to smash the exam in 2020! I'm also doing every single exercise in the book, which is honestly draining, but you gotta do what you need to for an A*. Currently sitting on chapter 7 in P1, how about you? Let's keep each other updated and share any useful resources if we find them Best wishes to you.
I'm on stats and mechanics(AS) probability chapter, it's the first chapter that I've started with a couple of days ago, but yeah I've roughly planned out all the revision for the next 10 months! . I know it's super draining but hopefully it pays off (I'm doing every single flippin question even challenge ones! ) I'm gonna start doing exam practice too but first I want to make sure I have the maths knowledge cemented
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.42%
It's just nice to be back! (180)
27.27%
Not great so far... (238)
36.06%
I want to drop out! (127)
19.24%

Watched Threads