hey i no its not really in the right place but i need peoples advice
    i kinda weant to take 6 a levels
    maths
    english lang and lit conbined
    chemistry
    drama and theare studies
    photography
    and politics

is this possible i think i could cope as i am taking 13 GCSEs but has any one here done 6 any advice

ReputationRep:
    i did the equilvalent of 3 and it was tough enough for me but im a lazy so and so...

i think most people would find 6 a bit OTT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i did the equilvalent of 3 and it was tough enough for me but im a lazy so and so...

i think most people would find 6 a bit OTT
    yer people are saying htat but i really want to do them

ReputationRep:
    Photography will be most likely to drag you down because it is very coursework heavy.

ReputationRep:
    R u crazy!?!?! i think theres quite a jump between GCSE n A-levels n if ur doin stuff like photography n drama coz u enjoy them not coz u wanna do nethin with them then y dont u just do them in ur spare time theres loads of groups etc that'll do em x

ReputationRep:
    Six!!! Absolutely madness. With respects some A levels require little work outside of school but six would really drag you down! Especially photography- Im an art students and know that the coursework required is a lot of work and time on your part outside college/school, so much more than traditional A level subjects. But then, if you feel you want to have a shot, go for it but think very carefully first before making any rash decisions! Gl.

ReputationRep:
    Two of my friends are doing 5. They are the two smartest + hardest working people i know. 1 of them is coping - he has no life. The other is coming close to a nervous breakdown and has already been forced to give up music. The 1 who is coping's sister actually DID pretty much hav a breakdown. The only time i've ever seen 5 pulled off is with related subjects (e.g. i know a guy Sam who took maths + mech, further maths + mec, stats, phy + chem) or native speakers of languages. Unless you are uber-genius it is not possible to cope (spesh since u hav essay subjects etc) without writing off the rest of your life for the next 2 years. Do not go there!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I really wouldn't recommend taking 6, especially as some of them are really hard, eg maths and chemistry. As someone else said, photography and drama are more hobbies that you could easily do in your spare time, and they're not well respected as A-level subjects. Be normal and take 4, otherwise you won't have any spare time at all and will probably be really stressed all the time, not to mention the fact that your school/college would have a very difficult time fitting 6 subjects into your timetable. At my school, the few people who do 5 have no frees!

ReputationRep:
    I think its up to you really! How hard do you find your GCSEs? If you struggle to keep on top of your work then I think six is out of the question. However, I did 13 GCSEs, found them easy and came out with 7A*s and 6As. I'm taking: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, History, Music, Critical Thinking, and English Language Fast-Track.

It depends how you can cope and if you enjoy your subjects! I love doing Maths, Chemistry, Physics, History and Music and so chose these as my subjects on my timetable. I took the other two subjects as extras. Critical Thinking because I think I can get an A without too much work; English Language because I enjoyed it at GCSE and got an A*.

I think you need to be motivated and seriously bright to handle that many A levels. You have to remember that most people do 4AS and that universities only ask for 3 A2 grades. I'd only suggest doing six if you do enjoy your subjects and have a genuine thirst to learn.

I think another important point to make is that you'll most probably need a release. I play in five or six orchestras in my spare time and am acting in one play, and a musical, which helps to give me something to do away from my academic work. If you're good at time management, and a good independent learner already, and very bright you'll find it easy. If not, think about what subjects you enjoy and which subjects would be more useful to you in the future.

Hope I've helped somewhat,

Scottus

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer to get excellent grades in 4 rather than jeopoardise my chances of good grades by doing 6. In my school, we're only allowed to do 4 max. And they only encourage the bright ones to do this many. I had straight A*s and two of my friends had almost straight A*s. We're all doing 4.

As kellywood 5 said, the school may struggle to sort out your timetable. I miss one Maths lesson a fortnight due to a clash and I find it very confusing to copy up and make sure I know what I'm doing.

Its up to you.

ReputationRep:
    I've sent you a PM, but have just thought of something else...

Another option would be to do 4 A2 levels, and then do two AS Levels in the other subjects, one each year.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a reason you can share why you need to do so many. If some are "recreational" then there's always time after you've got to Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively, if you want to do them all that badly, is to do 4 this year, then defer entry to UCAS and do your other two on fast-track during your gap year I would recommend fast-tracking Chemistry as one of them, as the concepts you study at A-Level are more advanced versions of the A-Level material so it's easy to learn both at the same time. Take 4 for now, and see how you feel by the time you put your UCAS application in - that gives you about a year to think about it.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.