?
Report 1 year ago
Handy for what?
ToysAreUs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can people carry a pocket knife in the UK?

"Handy for what?"
What kind of question is that stupid

To survive a zombie apocalypse, of course, why do you think ...
just kidding... https://knife-depot.com/pages/101-us...e-pocket-knife
JosephTheLawyer
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The short answer is no. There used to be a law which allowed a blade of certain specifications to be carried on your person, such as if the blade was not locked "i.e. no straight handle, and if it's a flip blade it cannot lock in place/no buttons). However, the law has very recently changed which means NO TYPE OF KNIFE can be carried on your person. This includes tools such as Swiss Army Knives. If you have a knife for work such as a boxcutter and you are stopped by the police, be prepared to give a good reason for carrying it. They are really cracking down on this to prevent knife crime, and it can carry a custodial sentence. Unless you're using one for work everyday, having it because "it's handy" wont cut it with the police. Stop and search rules will be increasing soon too. It's just not worth it.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
nah
ToysAreUs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks...

(Original post by JosephTheLawyer)
The short answer is no. There used to be a law which allowed a blade of certain specifications to be carried on your person, such as if the blade was not locked "i.e. no straight handle, and if it's a flip blade it cannot lock in place/no buttons). However, the law has very recently changed which means NO TYPE OF KNIFE can be carried on your person. This includes tools such as Swiss Army Knives. If you have a knife for work such as a boxcutter and you are stopped by the police, be prepared to give a good reason for carrying it. They are really cracking down on this to prevent knife crime, and it can carry a custodial sentence. Unless you're using one for work everyday, having it because "it's handy" wont cut it with the police. Stop and search rules will be increasing soon too. It's just not worth it.
...a bunch
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ToysAreUs)
I find them quite handy at times.
from https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives about 1 minute ago, therefore likely to be current.

Basic laws on knives

It’s illegal to:
  • sell a knife to anyone under 18, unless it has a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less
  • carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less
  • carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
  • use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife)

So provided it has a folding blade, under 3 inches (7.62cm) long and you aren't using it in a threatening way, having a penknife in your pocket is OK.
redoubtable
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
get tae fck
VegetableMarvell
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, just can't have a lockable blade. I carry my pen knife with me almost all the time.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.police.uk/crime-preventi...on-of-weapons/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (34)
21.94%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (75)
48.39%
I'm unsure (46)
29.68%

Watched Threads