TwistedIvy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by gjd800)
I have a first, distinction, ARHC-funded PhD and several publications and I'm still struggling. it is hard, but if you have the grit for it then you might be ok!
That's definitely encouraged me to really give it my all then, thanks I'll be as pro-active as soon as I start my Masters, and look for networking opportunities immediately. As part of my course, we are required to attend research seminars and conventions so that should be good for that kind of thing.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TwistedIvy)
That's definitely encouraged me to really give it my all then, thanks I'll be as pro-active as soon as I start my Masters, and look for networking opportunities immediately. As part of my course, we are required to attend research seminars and conventions so that should be good for that kind of thing.
Yep, sounds good. Don't be put off if it's slow going. perseverance is key, honestly
TwistedIvy
Rep:
?
Yep, sounds good. Don't be put off if it's slow going. perseverance is key, honestly
Thanks for the advice, I won't give up

I'm going to start applying for funded PhDs with a starting date of September/October 2020 soon, so that I can start immediately after I finish my Masters. I've been looking on FindaPhD.com but at the moment it seems that most of them are advertising January 2020 entry, so I guess I just need to wait a while longer.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TwistedIvy)
Thanks for the advice, I won't give up

I'm going to start applying for funded PhDs with a starting date of September/October 2020 soon, so that I can start immediately after I finish my Masters. I've been looking on FindaPhD.com but at the moment it seems that most of them are advertising January 2020 entry, so I guess I just need to wait a while longer.
Mither your (prospective?) disso supervisor about this stuff, too. They will very likely be in the loop about some stuff that you might not necessarily find yourself. best of luck with it
TwistedIvy
Rep:
?
Mither your (prospective?) disso supervisor about this stuff, too. They will very likely be in the loop about some stuff that you might not necessarily find yourself. best of luck with it
Yeah I'm going to ask my personal tutor and project supervisor about this stuff when I start, I don't start until 1st October though, and I was worried that if I leave it until then I might miss out on funded PhDs for Sep/Oct 2020 entry. I imagine that I'll have to ask my undergraduate tutor and project supervisor to write some of my references for PhDs since my Masters tutor/supervisor won't really know me well enough until April when we start our research project.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)
3.83%
Classical (46)
5.87%
Hip-Hop (148)
18.88%