Continuing with 2 alevels ? Is a resit worth it

Watch
fvtima
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys I really need advice. Iv been doing the subjects biology,chemistry, psychology and core maths. However, I got an E in chemistry which means I have to drop it so am left with 2 alevels and an AS + a new AS I need to choose. I’m thinking of doing a btec subsidary in health and social care but since I’m only allowed to stay at college for one more year I’ll receive a National certificate for it (worth 0.5 alevels) rather than a national extended certificate (worth 1 alevel)alongside my 2 alevels. Id like to do biomed, pharmacy or psychology at uni and don’t know if I’ll be able to. Would you guys recommend ressiting the year at a differnt college or continuing with these subjects.
Please help! Thankyou
LinaHearts
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not that knowledgeable about this but what uni are you applying too? Universities that take points may not care as much but it would be best to ring up any universities and ask them if they would accept two alevels. Having said that do you know what happened in chemistry? Do you still feel like taking it personally i don't think A's reflect real grades at all! so i would want to carry on with three subjects but of course that depends on how you feel personally.
fvtima
Rep:
?
(Original post by LinaHearts)
I'm not that knowledgeable about this but what uni are you applying too? Universities that take points may not care as much but it would be best to ring up any universities and ask them if they would accept two alevels. Having said that do you know what happened in chemistry? Do you still feel like taking it personally i don't think A's reflect real grades at all! so i would want to carry on with three subjects but of course that depends on how you feel personally.
Thankyou for your reply. I would like to carry it on however my college won’t allow this even though I was only a single mark off a D! Nor will they allow me to retake the AS again. Upsetting really. For university I’m willing to apply anywhere to be honest as long as they take me on.
LinaHearts
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fvtima)
Thankyou for your reply. I would like to carry it on however my college won’t allow this even though I was only a single mark off a D! Nor will they allow me to retake the AS again. Upsetting really. For university I’m willing to apply anywhere to be honest as long as they take me on.
That's harsh! I don't suppose you could take it externally? I googled it and apparently so long as your not picky there are universities that accept two alevels so all hope is not lost, you could also look at foundation courses?
fvtima
Rep:
?
(Original post by LinaHearts)
That's harsh! I don't suppose you could take it externally? I googled it and apparently so long as your not picky there are universities that accept two alevels so all hope is not lost, you could also look at foundation courses?
Nope sadly I can’t take it externally either. The only options I have is doing 2 alevels+AS or re doing all 3 of the alevels. Also I will look at foundation courses. Thankyou so much for your help really appreciate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads