British student, international status, can I still get a loan? Watch

2019fi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Gave up a firm home status offer in adjustment and have just been classified international status by uni chosen in adjustment.

Seriously worried about finances - £60 grand for 3 years tuition??

Don’t even know if I can still apply for a loan - they say not available for international students - but UK is only home, parents are already moving back - dads contract is almost done - now what do I do?

Is this also going to affect my ability to get a student bank account? I am scrambling about trying to get my head round my suddenly being declared foreign in my own home. It’s weird. My sister is laughing - she got home status - same family, same circumstances.

Random.
Last edited by 2019fi; 2 weeks ago
2019fi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So can I even get finance?

I could cash in the birthday premium bonds I was given by relatives as a kid and all my savings and could pay for the first month. I am a bit concerned by the cost though. If I get a couple of part time jobs as well as a student loan I could probably survive but honestly is A degree worth killing myself working and studying for three years and still having a huge debt? Would I be able to get a decent degree if I am also working two jobs?

That said I really want to go to university. I worked hard for my a levels and now I get stung with twice the fees of everyone else. Mum says they could have sent me to boarding school but couldn’t face being forced to give me to an institution at 14 just to ensure I was given equal rights. All because my dad works contracts overseas. Not my fault.

They are not really in a position to help me with fees either but can contribute to living costs a bit which helps. My sister is an intern on seriously low money but has promised to help me when she can and hopefully she will get a full job by next year.

I can’t stay in UAE with my parents as I am now 18 and can’t get a visa. I really don’t know what to do and I have only days to decide. As you can tell I am pretty bitter about the fees. It has been a huge blow and may kill my ambition to go.

Advice anyone? Graduates, do you regret the debt? Should I just live at home and work for three years and then go later as a mature student and get a regular debt like everyone else?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you move back to the UK and work for a year then that might be enough to demonstrate that your stay in uea was temporary due to family commitments. That would then make you ordinarily resident in the uk for the whole time and eligible for home fees and student support.

Ukcisa has a student helpline that can probably help.
2019fi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by PQ)
If you move back to the UK and work for a year then that might be enough to demonstrate that your stay in uea was temporary due to family commitments. That would then make you ordinarily resident in the uk for the whole time and eligible for home fees and student support.

Ukcisa has a student helpline that can probably help.
I will look into that thanks but I am not sure I want to put it off. I may just forget the whole thing instead and skip the degree. Thanks anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate