yeetmeister2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi all,
Since I wanted to study economics during the middle of year 12 it was too late for me to do further maths. I am thinking of applying for economics at Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Queen Mary. Since i really want to apply to LSE (but i dont know if this will be a waste of an application) am I likely to get an offer if i have a strong personal statement and 3A* prediction grades ( or 2A* and A prediction grade with the A in physics). I do a level maths, physics and economics. is it worth me applying to study economics at lse without further maths but with these predicted grades and a good personal statement?
ayyyy.x
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would go for it. Universities look mostly at your personal statement, predicted grades and your teacher references.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's only one option, ultimately, but bear in mind the majority (something like 85%) of successful applicants to single honours economics at LSE have FM. So while you can apply, don't bank on it being successful.

I gather it is less important (and common) for those applying to the joint honours courses with economics (in non-mathematical subjects, i.e. PPE etc). Since you study the same amount of economics in any of the economics courses at Oxford (E&M, PPE, Economics & History - maximum 6 papers in economics, 1 in first year and up to 5 in finals; I think Economics & History actually have an extra economics paper in economic history on top of those 5 other potential economics papers), if you are presumably wanting to target Oxford primarily, perhaps you could look at PPE or E&H at Oxford, and relevant joint honours courses at LSE which you may be more likely to get into.
yeetmeister2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It's only one option, ultimately, but bear in mind the majority (something like 85%) of successful applicants to single honours economics at LSE have FM. So while you can apply, don't bank on it being successful.

I gather it is less important (and common) for those applying to the joint honours courses with economics (in non-mathematical subjects, i.e. PPE etc). Since you study the same amount of economics in any of the economics courses at Oxford (E&M, PPE, Economics & History - maximum 6 papers in economics, 1 in first year and up to 5 in finals; I think Economics & History actually have an extra economics paper in economic history on top of those 5 other potential economics papers), if you are presumably wanting to target Oxford primarily, perhaps you could look at PPE or E&H at Oxford, and relevant joint honours courses at LSE which you may be more likely to get into.
oh ok thanks for your reply. do you know if i am likely to get into the other universities i am applying to: Oxford, UCL, Warwick and Queen Mary. And also do you know anyone or has there been any cases that people have got into LSE economics without further maths?
Zain4000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Connor McCormack
Wagwan
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by yeetmeister2)
oh ok thanks for your reply. do you know if i am likely to get into the other universities i am applying to: Oxford, UCL, Warwick and Queen Mary. And also do you know anyone or has there been any cases that people have got into LSE economics without further maths?
Well, about 10-15% of A-level applicants get in without FM each year. I would suspect those are more likely to be applicants whose schools don't offer FM and they have no other way of taking it.

Warwick has quite a mathematical course so I imagine they favour FM, and I've heard it's quite common for those applying to UCL; those two along with Cambridge and LSE form the more mathematical/theoretical single honours economics courses I'm aware of.

Oxford I doubt it will make much difference if you're applying to PPE, perhaps for E&M (not because the content is necessarily different, but because it's such an enormously competitive course to start with). Economics & History at Oxford seems to take plenty without FM, as well as quite a few with; I imagine it's not a critical factor for that course either. As I said, bear in mind you take the same amount of economics in all the econ joint schools at Oxford; E&M is not a "single honours economics" course, contrary to popular belief.

QMUL I doubt will care at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (262)
54.24%
18-20 years old (no) (63)
13.04%
20-25 years old (yes) (81)
16.77%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
1.86%
25-30 years old (yes) (25)
5.18%