Getting a job within supermarkets advice?

Watch
Skattz11
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
So atm I’m on my gap year and I’ve been looking for part time full time jobs particularly around retail and supermarkets for almost 4 months.

I’ve so far applied for Next McDonald’s Waitrose Tesco Asda and I’ve been rejected for every single one with only gotten through to one interview stage which was with Waitrose. I’ve even outlined my previous work experience with different companies including BA and my GCSE/L3 Results.

I was thinking this could be because of the online assessments however in these questions I ensure customers are our first as well as considering safety factors so it’s getting very annoying and frustrating waking up to a rejection email.

I’ve literally tried reading the answers carefully or looking up on advice but they haven’t helped is there any useful advice anyone would give when applying for jobs or questionnaires would be a very big help indeed. thanks
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
So you have an interview with Waitrose? Make sure you are 100% suited and booted. Also do lots of research on their values and how they conduct their business. Remember - it really is all about their customers.

Quite possibly, the thing you are failing on is life experience. Sadly, employers are not really interested in employing youngsters as they once were which is really sad. But also, customer facing roles are not for everyone and certainly shouldn't be viewed as easy low skilled work. Being personable and helpful to the general public is a genuine skill that not everyone has.

Are there other jobs you might be able to find? Could you tap up the careers advisory at your school for help?
Skattz11
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
So you have an interview with Waitrose? Make sure you are 100% suited and booted. Also do lots of research on their values and how they conduct their business. Remember - it really is all about their customers.

Quite possibly, the thing you are failing on is life experience. Sadly, employers are not really interested in employing youngsters as they once were which is really sad. But also, customer facing roles are not for everyone and certainly shouldn't be viewed as easy low skilled work. Being personable and helpful to the general public is a genuine skill that not everyone has.

Are there other jobs you might be able to find? Could you tap up the careers advisory at your school for help?
I had 2 interviews with them. One of them didn’t want me at all the other added me to their candidate bank as o passed the assessment but there’s no hours available. There is an employment hub which helps you look for jobs. I have got 2 previous job on customer related roles however It doesn’t sound like it’s good enough to them sadly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (97)
61.78%
No (60)
38.22%

Watched Threads